• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about 5 ton on eBay

mckeeranger

I saw that earlier, I laughed, If that is not a buddy bidding it up i feel sorry for the poor guy that pays that much for a truck in that bad of shape.2cents
The problem with that strategy is if the buddy doing the bidding up crosses the reserve barrier, eBay is going to want their cut. Unless, of course, the poster pulls the auction before it ends.

eBay is not a bit shy about asking for their money.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does he really expect somebody to believe that truck ran down the road a week ago? Doesn't look like it has a oil cap, weeds all in engine compartment, and you'd have to move 20 cars just to get it out. Notice how there were no pics of the interior. I bet as long as it's been sitting there with no top, the interior looks worse than the engine compartment.

If it was close by I'd stop by and look at it just for a good laugh.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This was stickier, as the SS member who has the item on ebay would obviously like everyone to see it, but the 10 SS members who are quietly watching it are hoping no one sees it and they can get it for pennies.
I was watching this POS and was hoping to get it for pennies. Somebody posted a link to it and now it's at $7,400. See what happens when you post links to active auctions.

Just kidding. ;-)

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
it was well over 7000 b4 the link was posted. thats why there is a discussion here.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I personally think members selling ebay items should be allowed again in it's own section as long as it's MV related. I think that needs to be rethought.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like he may be getting his first negative if some poor sap buys that POS. Unless his shill bidding buddy wins it. He'll more than likely leave him a positive and talk about how good of deal he got. :cookoo:

Sken

This used to sit outside of his fenced storage yard, way in the back of the yard under the overpass from West Ashley to Charleston. I stopped and looked at it a year ago- no top, pigeon poop all over, by the edge of the swamp.
It disappeared some months ago, I guess that's when it went into his towing storage yard. It reappeared recently out front, I saw it while driving by yesterday. Something tells me that the towing and/or storage bill wasn't paid on it, and it only recently became "his". He's got a bit of a pawnshop price on it, that's for sure.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
items can be reported to ebay as suspected shill bidding. It's very likely the bidding was by shills on that one. I think that truck is worth its weight in tin. Maybe $1000.

To prevent such reporting, ebay has implemented policy of a drop down menu that does not include suspected dishonesties such as shill bidding and has apparenly no free text entry. My conclusion is that they don't want to know about it. It probably serves their interests to allow it by keeping visible prices up and thereby misleading noobs into paying more, so ebay can collect more.

Blythewoodjoe

OK here's what I want to know.

This is obviously a messed up auction. But what is really going on here? I had assumed the high bidder was a friend and the object was to bid until the number 2 guys got out bid but not before the reserve was met. That way the seller didn't have to pay ebay and the seller could "offer" the number 2 guy the truck because the high bidder backed out.

But if was true, then the number 2 guy was willing bid $7450 for this truck? That can't be true especially days before the auction was over. If he was, then he is a bone head. So what is going on here? I can see no advantage for the seller in this auction. What am I missing.

The other thing is I feel the description is inaccurate. He says the engine is a "full" diesel and then IMPLIES it's not a mulitfuel. He compare his 5 TON FULL diesel to a MULITFUEL DEUCE AND A HALF.

"Fly in and drive home (run regularly, but been outside in storage yard since I bought it)".

If anybody is crazy enough to believe that after looking at the pictures, I don't think we can help them.

If you want a funny read, check his feed back and look at the Bonneville he sold a few weeks ago. The questions on that auction are the craziest things I have ever seen on ebay. Over two pages of it.

robr

here is what I bet he did had two buddys shill bid it up right before the reserve price so some newbie or idiot thought it was something special and if they bid that bid would meet the reserve and it would sell

vtdeucedriver

The other thing is I feel the description is inaccurate. He says the engine is a "full" diesel and then IMPLIES it's not a mulitfuel. He compare his 5 TON FULL diesel to a MULITFUEL DEUCE AND A HALF.

Well the govt did have a MWO removing the fuel density compensator off the injection pump. So in his defense (hate to say that) but by doing that he could rightly say that he has a "full Diesel" because technically its not a multifuel anymore. Personally I dont thing I would have stated it that way.

I'd pay 3K for it!! But too far for me.

MO MV man

A good example of shill bidding, more than likely.

I used to be deep into the British Austin Mini's (the REAL Mini! What he sells most of) a couple years ago and he ALWAYS had them on Ebay-still does, check his other auctions.
He always had some of the most outlandish prices around.
I guess someone out there was paying that much for them?
He'd buy them in bulk (like SIX Mini's fit into a shipping container!) from New Zealand, clean 'em up and, if he was making anywhere near what he was asking? He was doing VERY well!

Anyway, you all hit the nail on the head......shill bidding.

Happens all the time.
Way I see it, it's probably either buddies or he has another account.

P.S. That 5 ton is a turd, plain and simple. Good heavens.

Last edited: