• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about boneyards overseas?

Ryanhooker

I was watching youtube, and a video showing a humvee and tank graveyard. So what is going to be done with all the scrap humvees overseas? Is there any chance we could see these back over here? Who would you contact to find any info out?:confused:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No HMMWV will ever be sold thru DRMO/GL. The DEMIL for it is total destruction. There were a few that got out a while back, thats all that will get out legally.

Ryanhooker

No HMMWV will ever be sold thru DRMO/GL. The DEMIL for it is total destruction. There were a few that got out a while back, thats all that will get out legally.
Dude, did you even read. SCRAP! BONEYARD! GRAVEYARD! An just for your info, about 2 months ago a brand new body was sold on GL.

48cj2a

Knowing the military - nothing in the scap lots on the bases overseas will make it back here. It would be too costly to ship.

But I would venture to say some will get out as scap overseas.

Ours was a great places to scavenge parts to repair vehicles in Kuwait in 03.

If you ever remember seeing the milemarker winch add of the guys installing winches in the field...I was there and saw those guys doing it on Camp Doha.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
HMMWV parts are sold thru GL. But you wont see a complete HMMWV thru GL like you do with CUCV's/M800/M35 series...

I know what Boneyards are... Officially called Canibalization Points.

KsM715

What kind of scrap yard are we talking about? Privately owned scrap yard, just like the ones we have here in the states, or yards the the U.S. Govt. owns? You can get stuff from privately owned yards. Cost $$$ to get it back to the states and if its whole vehicles sometimes you cannot bring it back or get it registered. (depending on what it is) If your talking about U.S. owned stuff, forget it you'll never see it brought back or surplused out.

Ryanhooker

HMMWV parts are sold thru GL. But you wont see a complete HMMWV thru GL like you do with CUCV's/M800/M35 series...

I know what Boneyards are... Officially called Canibalization Points.
No one has said one word about a whole truck. Nor have I said any thing about titleing of one. Lets just say that a damaged body is on a frame, there picked over pretty well to have no useable parts other the repairable frame and body. An they do come out like this. 2 where sold by austin last month. Not a complete truck, Residue of a truck.

Jones

Ryan,
The demil requirements for HMMWV bodies is that they be cut diagonally from corner to corner then, that the suspension mounting points be cut out too. I think they even insist that they be torch cut, not sawn, so that there's even less of them being put back together.
Doing it by the book says that an inspector will check the demil before they even leave the yard.
That's not to say that one may escape occassionally but the chances are pretty slim.

The M-151's roll-over problem and resulting liability started the ball rolling with total destruction.

Alot of those trucks are also supplying rebuild parts to the re-set shops in Qatar and Kuwait...They will take parts off them, rebuild them, and reinstall them on other trucks...Lets say a control arm for instance, it will get new bushings, ball joint, fresh coat of paint and its good to go back on another truck...Same with frames, engines, transmissions, and about everything else, except expendable parts...ITT is one of the biggest companies doing this and they pay good money...

Or work for customs in Germany like my friend did (german born american dual citizen courtesy of father in US army) and slowly amass parts through wheeling and dealing with the US Military...He almost has enough to build a complete HWWMV...

Ryanhooker

Ryan,
The demil requirements for HMMWV bodies is that they be cut diagonally from corner to corner then, that the suspension mounting points be cut out too. I think they even insist that they be torch cut, not sawn, so that there's even less of them being put back together.
Doing it by the book says that an inspector will check the demil before they even leave the yard.
That's not to say that one may escape occassionally but the chances are pretty slim.

The M-151's roll-over problem and resulting liability started the ball rolling with total destruction.

Not saing they dont. Not saing they do. All that I seen, all they wanted done was to see that it could not easy to be put back on the road. They wanted stuff moved out asap for more room.

Take a look at photos While bodies are poor frames are in good shape un-cut and on one there was a complete set of arms on rear along with the tie rods and wiring harness for it.

I wish that these would make it back to the states. If they are cutting them up, why odnt they bring them home? I mean they bring some battle damaged trucks back, why dont they pack it in them?

Attachments

Last edited:

Jones

What a person is willing to devote to a ground up restoration is a far cry from what the military is willing to do.
They bring back a lot of the larger vehicles because Oshkosh and AM General both have "RESET" programs in place. I don't think there's any such plan for vehicles that may be considered disposable.
Too badly damaged = cut it up and requisition another.

lonegunman

They had about 40 acres of ruined trucks on the back side of Camp Liberty when I was there in 2007. I'm not sure if you would want them. From the looks of most of them, someone died turning them into scrap.

Hopefully, they will finish destroying them before the Iraqi's use them for displays of there "Victory Over America" of some such crap.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ryanhooker...Those photo's of the humvee body's are or were in Texas at Austin's surplus yard. He sold them .
Greg

aximony

I'm not interested in seeing a vehicle fellow sevicemen died in used as a monument to the"infidel Americans"

I hate getting into political debates as they usually lead nowhere, but isn't it ironic how misguided resentment works?

If some foreign army invaded Florida, killed your family in the process while claiming they're in there to liberate you, would be thrilled?

Just today Obama killed a family of 12 innocent people in Afghanistan. And Bush did his share of killing in Iraq. Clinton starved a million Iraqi babies by imposing sanctions on Iraq in the 90s, Reagan used the CIA to slaughter thousands of innocents in Central and South America, and Nixon and Johnson commanded the slaughter of thousands in Vietnam. And you wonder why America has such a bad reputation overseas? Because our number 1 export is weapons and death.

It's amazing how people forget their own history so quickly, what with the war of independence against the oppressive British and all.

Now you're going to respond with something totally irrelevant to this information, probably along the lines of 9/11 and WMDs thus justifying and absolving our country's leadership of all its sins.

Look in the mirror once in a while. Humility and introspection don't hurt.

Ryanhooker

I was talking to austin. When i was seeting up the deal, he said that a local person paied him cash. An the civiy frame is the same in most reguards. An not every truck had someone die in it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks