• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about cargo racks and troop seats

Empty Pockets

I was wondering what type of wood was used to make the cargo racks and troop seats? I assume a hardwood was used. I can't tell what kind of was used on my very weathered racks. I'm trying to keep my truck close to spec as possible. Thanks for the help.

mikey

Ours are made from the timbers of the American Fiberglass Tree. :D They are perfectly clear-grain, NEVER warp, and have NO knots nor SPLINTERS :idea:
And never require painting. :D
I will GLADLY trade you my set of fiberglass seats for a set of wood.

My fiberglass seats have thousands of tiny splinters and are about to be sanded, filled and painted.

OP, white oak. None of the measurements are standard. I just had 10 uprights custom made from a sawmill for about $65.

Mikey

dave wagner

i've asked this question in another thread and got no info back, this looks like a better place to ask. what year did they start using fiberglass instead of wood. i have sets of each but want to use the right ones for my m54a2 1971 and 1969

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dates are going to be kind of hard to narrow down. I can tell you this though. I had a 1969 M756A2. There were not many made and I've looked at quite a few. All of them I've seen had wood troop seats. Since there were so few, doubt that seats got switched. Also of note, most of the M756A2s were produced in 69.

jasonjc

The late 80's air force deuce's (the last new ones made) had wood seats. So not sure if any came "new" with fiberglass. I was looking at the big box store the other day and seen ceader 5/4" decking. I'm thinking of getting them and ripping them in half. It would cost about $25- $30 per side. What do you all think? I now ceader is not as strong but it would be thicker.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The late 80's air force deuce's (the last new ones made) had wood seats. So not sure if any came "new" with fiberglass. I was looking at the big box store the other day and seen ceader 5/4" decking. I'm thinking of getting them and ripping them in half. It would cost about $25- $30 per side. What do you all think? I now ceader is not as strong but it would be thicker.
Your thickness increase - if extreme - could effect how well the troop seats "store" in the vertical position. Check your clearances.
:grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks