• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Quick, Cheap Glad Hand Inflator

dabtl

While at the UNT Homecoming Parade a week or so ago, I noticed a flat on the first deuce. No telling how long it was deflated.

I asked Jimmy McElrod from V V A 920 to use his glad hand air package. He generously loaned it to me. The one I had in the truck had a connect incompatible with the air gauge tire inflator.

So, I fixed the first deuce inflator and decided to get a second for the second deuce. Makes sense?

The cheap way is my way! Get a glad hand. Get a 50 foot air hose and female quick connect and a male insert. Go to Ace Hardware get a male to male adapter to the quick connect. Total cost about $30.

Try it. You will like it if you have a low tire.:)

Jake0147

I did that...
I used a nipple and a coupler on the glad hand so that I could use any air hose with it, not just the one. I also have a gauge on the glad hand. With that, I can sit at the rear of the truck, and use the on/off valve on the truck (and a locking tire chuck) to inflate a newly mounted tire with fourteen thousand pounds of truck between me and it. Just like an inflator/gauge combo, you have to stop the air to see the pressure, but in the spirit of the original post plus of course a little common sense (stand the tire up, lean it against a front wheel pointed to the woods, not the neighbors...), a gauge is a heckuva lot cheaper than a suitable tire cage.

cornrichard

And you can even set the hand throttle to keep the compressor up to speed! And you can get a small air tank with a 3/8 line in and 1/2 line out and run air tools! And you can get pvc pipe and build a air powered spud gun! What did I ever do before I had a deuce?

kubota_247

My civilian Freightshaker wouldn't start one day because the starter finally gave out. I installed a quick coupler on the primary air tank so I could pressurise the tank to realease the brakes. I then gave it a little bump with my farm tractor and it started right up. NOW I have portable air whenever I need it. It's very cheap and very significant. If I only use it once more in the next year it is well worth the effort.

mistaken1

My truck came with a tire inflator connected to a glad hand by 25' of 3/8" hose.

I bought a 1/2" glad hand and 25' of 1/2" hose to connect to my 3/4" impact (1/2" quick connects) for tire changing duties (works great).

I have to admit I never thought of an air powered spud gun. :) Sounds like fun.

dabtl

My truck came with a tire inflator connected to a glad hand by 25' of 3/8" hose.

I bought a 1/2" glad hand and 25' of 1/2" hose to connect to my 3/4" impact (1/2" quick connects) for tire changing duties (works great).

I have to admit I never thought of an air powered spud gun. :) Sounds like fun.
I got a GovLiq surplus 24 volt impact wrench from V V A 020 in Denton for tire stuff on the road. Never used it, but I always have it ready. They had some more for sale not long ago if anyone wants one.

ZRacer

Sorry to post a stupid question (yes, I am still a NOOB). But where can I get a glad hand to make one of those thingamajigs? I really want access to air via the rear glad hands but have no idea what I need to get, where to get it or how the connectors work.

Thanks!

jollyroger

Truck stops sell the glad hands by themselves for less than $10. You want the "red" glad hand that connects to the "emergency" air line on the truck. It is the full air pressure line. The "blue" or "yellow" line is the service line that sends air pressure to the trailer to activate the brakes when you push on the brake pedal in the truck.

The air line on the truck has a ball valve close to the glad hand end of the line that you turn to open and close the air flow on the lines.

Amer-team

Any of the big truck supply shops can fix you up with this setup. It will probably be a bit more pricey than what was stated above. I got lucky and was able to pick up a Gov. surplus one, but had to replace the rubber seal.

dabtl

Glad hands, the standard version, are available at truck stops. Color does not matter. You are just using it as an inflator and should hook it to the emergency connection for full pressure. If you were pulling a trailer the colors would make a big difference in your comfort level!

An adapter, male, from 1/2 to 1/4 is readily available at Ace Hardware for a couple of bucks. So are the quick release fittings male and female along with the air pressure gauge/inflator.

I paid about $35 total.

ZRacer

That's great, guys. Thanks for taking the time to explain it! I'm fairly mechanically inclined, and I know my way around a race car pretty well, but these trucks are still very new to me (I've had mine only a month, and have only had a chance to drive it 3 times).

NAPA and Ace are close to me. HF is a little further to drive (about 45 minutes), but it sounds like it will be worth it. I need to pick up one of the super heavy duty 1" impact wrenches anyway. From what I hear, those are almost a necessity if I ever have to remove any lug nuts from the Deuce.

Akicita

I bought an air hose and quick connectors from TractorSupply and use the air line inside the cab by the co-pilot's feet. I don't need a gladhand that way. I screwed a quick connector into that air line, and can now connect and disconnet the hose in a second. I haven't inflated the tires on the Deuce yet but this setup has already worked great on tractor and car tires.

ZRacer

I bought an air hose and quick connectors from TractorSupply and use the air line inside the cab by the co-pilot's feet. I don't need a gladhand that way. I screwed a quick connector into that air line, and can now connect and disconnet the hose in a second. I haven't inflated the tires on the Deuce yet but this setup has already worked great on tractor and car tires.

AZDeuce (member here) showed me the exact same setup on his truck. Very slick!

jollyroger

That's a good way to do it too but I prefer the gladhand because I don't have to have the cab door open while I'm filling tires or using the air line. Typically only an issue if it's cold, windy or wet....or D all of the above.:D

But in all seriousness any way you can utilize the air system is a bonus.

Oh..... and I bought one of those non convertable air lines from a Loves truck stop because I forgot to bring my air tool bag on a recovery. Glad I did. Blew two tires on the trailer and needed to use the air line. Granted more expensive and less versitile but did the job when I needed.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to pick up one of the super heavy duty 1" impact wrenches anyway. From what I hear, those are almost a necessity if I ever have to remove any lug nuts from the Deuce.
You can do it by hand, but it is real nice to have an impact!

Just make sure to get the insurance...and a bottle of air tool oil. HF has the 12pc? impact socket set with the budd adaptor as well, very reasonable.

Have fun!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks