• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

R.I.P--SHOOTINIRON--James Ruman

ApopkaFL

Banned
PAROWAN - An accident on Interstate 15 Friday took the life of a St. George man.

The Utah Highway Patrol identified the victim as James D. Ruman, 50, who died at the scene of the crash. The accident occurred at approximately 12:30 p.m. near milepost 71 and involved three vehicles traveling in a line going northbound.

According to the UHP, a semitrailer ran into the back of a passenger van that, in turn, ran into the 21â„2-ton Army surplus vehicle driven by Ruman.

Three other people received minor injuries and were taken to a local hospital. Their names have not been released.

The cause of the accident is unknown, but the UHP said no drugs or alcohol were involved.

The scene of the accident was cleared for traffic at approximately 2:30 p.m.

No further information on the accident was available late Friday.

thespectrum

KsM715

James, May you Rest In Peace brother.

Guys, lets leave all the speculation and "what could be done" for another thread. (give it a few weeks)

TexAndy

This is really sad news. I feel bad for his family. May he rest in peace.

This accident points out one serious safety weakness of these vehicles - soft tops on cargo trucks provide virtually no protection in a rollover. Hardtop is marginally better, but still too weak in my opinion. Maybe installation of a sturdy rollbar is in order. A complete rollover cage would be the best approach.

If you recall, there were quite a few Jeep CJ fatalities in rollover accidents until they equipped these Jeeps with rollover bars. Now every Jeep Wrangler comes standard with one from the factory.

I had the same thought reading this thread.

Would a rollbar fit between the bed and the cab? Or would you have to modify one or both?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hey guys, seriously I'm not trying to be a D ck, but can we please keep this thread about James and his family, and condolences. There is another thread already started today for speculation regarding ROPS, please, take your posts there.

Thanks guys.

saddamsnightmare

July 2nd, 2011.

May the man rest in peace, I suspect someone else caused the accident. Please notice the "Man drive surplus military truck" tone here in the original accident reporting. I hope we can do something for the family in the way of a remembrance.

ALSO BEWARE... I opened the original posters connection to the TV article above and there is a very malicious JAVA spyware attached to the posting..... Don't know who engineered it, but do beware. Seems like these things pop up everywhere on a computer these days.

Last edited:

markmontana

ALSO BEWARE... I opened the original posters connection to the TV article above and there is a very malicious JAVA spyware attached to the posting..... Don't know who engineered it, but do beware. Seems like these things pop up everywhere on a computer these days.
I edited the original post and removed the link. Full article is quoted and the URL is listed. KSL.com is a well run and responsible website, but they have lots of ads running, and some goofy tracking software. I use it daily and never a problem, but best to beware.

And it's great that the vast majority of posts have been made without speculation or editorial comments. The family and friends of James will enjoy this- when they are ready.

If you made some comments that might be best made elsewhere- you can go back and edit.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been thinking about this all day. I'm still without words...

God bless his family and friends.

wsucougarx

I know what you mean DH, this has been weighing heavy on me all day. I keep coming back to this post like there is going to be a change in status or there's unfinished work. Can't really explain it but I'm sure many of you know exactly what I mean. Looking at the number of replies on this thread shows the closeness of our community and the bond we all share. My only regret is I never knew James personally. I pray that God will be with his wife, his friends, fellow steelsoldiers, and family members to help them through this unexpected and untimely passing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks