• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radiator and alternator

Twinpinion

Both of them seem to have crapped out at the same time. I've tested the alternator as per the duece manuals and the radiator is well, fairly leaky. I got a quote from Memphis Equiptment for what seemed like way too much. The alternator alone was like $800! Is there a Napa number that bolts in or another source anyone can reccomend for these items? Thanks!

houdel

RE your alternator:

1. Find a shop in your area and have your alternator rebuilt. If you can't find a specialty rebuild shop, most auto parts stores can send them out for rebuild.

2. Check Ebay. Search for "military truck", "generator" and "alternator". There are several, I saw a BRAND NEW one a few days ago for $200!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could also call Houston Parramore in North Florida and buy a checked working takeoff from an M151 for a hundred bucks. Try Sam Winers in Akron OH for your radiator. Here's a contact for Parramore.
http://www.parramore.com/
He advertised the alts in MV Magazine. I've got one from him. The Gov't uses CME Arma in Miami Fl for there rebuilds, can't comment on their price.

Twinpinion

Cool! Thanks for all the info! It gave me something to search off of. It looks like the military pays $340 for the radiators new. Much more resonable than what I was quoted. I found a GL ad with a few of 'em. I think I found a Modine part number too. I'll post up when I find out if it's the same radiator, what it costs, where to get it... Still looking for alternator options. Rather not rebuild.

sermis

Check the for sale section for used parts. I have found several parts there that I could use but ran out of money...........

CGarbee

I just hauled my M35A2C's radiator over to a buddy's shop for some TLC... Managed to put a hole in the joint where the top inlet mates to the tank and had the spot welds that hold the brackets to the radiator assembly on the passenger side snap as well (I think that the bracket welds went south, then the inlet joint went...) so we'll see what the damage ($$) is in a couple of days... I'll let you all know...

Hookin1

need the alternator number and amps.My wife works at carquest,there clarksville,tn store sells to ft.campbell.....they can usually find what i need.can have her call them and find out the replacement part number.thats how i got the starter for my duece.....130.00 bucks :)

Twinpinion

CGarbee said:
I just hauled my M35A2C's radiator over to a buddy's shop for some TLC... Managed to put a hole in the joint where the top inlet mates to the tank and had the spot welds that hold the brackets to the radiator assembly on the passenger side snap as well (I think that the bracket welds went south, then the inlet joint went...) so we'll see what the damage ($$) is in a couple of days... I'll let you all know...
Ha! Sounds similar to mine. Check the upper radiator mount (the little clevis). The one that bolts to the front of the block. I bet it was loose, mine was. These things seem to vibrate so much the only way to keep the radiator together was to actually mount it directly to the engine and its mounts so it all shakes as one unit. Wild.

Twinpinion

Hookin1 said:
need the alternator number and amps.My wife works at carquest,there clarksville,tn store sells to ft.campbell.....they can usually find what i need.can have her call them and find out the replacement part number.thats how i got the starter for my duece.....130.00 bucks :)
Cool! I'll look. I know it's 60 AMP. I'll get the number when I get home.

Twinpinion

Hookin1 said:
Leece-Neville Division
60 Amps
Ordnance No. 10929868
Type No. A0013002AE
? No. 2920-00-909-2483

I can't make out the wording before the last series of numbers above but the number itself is readable.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Here is a pic of the alternator in question (belts removed):

Attachments

cbvet

Based on a lot of experience in the auto parts & repair business, I believe a good rebuilt is absolutely "as good as new". I was quoted $150 to rebuild a spare Deuce 60 amp from a heavy equipment/truck parts rebuilder in Elkhart Indiana.
Eric

Twinpinion

motorolanut said:
The neck on my M35 radiator went south and I got my resoldered at a radiator shop for about $35.00
Yeah, I resoldered mine myself. Then I tried to fix the broken rienforcement straps that broke loose...bad idea. I mean it leaks less now than it did but I wouldn't really trust it to drive cross country unles I brought a lot of water with me just in case. Around town...no problem. A new radiator is simply cheap insurance to help me avoid an expensive tow bill.

FSBruva: Thanks! Checky here for the full deal on my avatar:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=6080

Scroll down to it.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Twinpinion, There is a radiator repair shop on San Fernando Rd next to Saugus Cafe, and an alternator repair shop in Newhall on Railroad Ave by Lyons Ave. You can have both of them as good as new probably for less than $200.

Twinpinion

OK, just got back from NAPA. They want $400 to rebuild my alternator. He said something about the rotor in the back of the alternator being no good. It's funny. He started out saying he's never seen a rebuild cost more than $100-$200 a few weeks ago. Then his song conveniently went to $300 when he found out a refurbished one was $1,100. And today he wants nearly double what he figured it would cost. Now I have no problem paying for work to get done. But when I can find a guy in Yucca Valley, CA (in the middle of the desert) that'll do it for $270 I'm a little irritated. Unless this "rotor" excuse makes sense to anyone. Anyway, it'll probably cost me more to ship it there and back than the cost of a core so I'll probably just buy one outright. Anybody have any really good sources other than what I've found? Thanks.

devilman96

I have never seen a NAPA that actually rebuilds alternators on the premises... Machine shop stuff yes... but electrical no! Most sub out their work to a local shop and bill you a % on top of that.

Grab the yellow pages and make some calls there is NOTHING special about these things nor are the parts hard to come by. I looked into having my rebuilt, and or converted to 12V when I was considering doing such a few months ago. Ether way it was 220$ each for the starter and alternator provided I gave up my cores. I went through this with my AC system.. you say 24V and their eyes get all glazed over as if your asking for aircraft parts or something... Makes some calls locally, you will hit the right place with the right people faster than you would expect.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks