• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radiator Fan Shut off

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Patracy, CUCVElectric has stopped selling anything for awhile. They are working on their supply chain/shipping/logistics issues

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What better time to find out you have a small leak in your transmission cooler lines than to run through mud and water. They just don't do well after that.

Dabba

Yeah, I learned quickly my seals in my dana 60 are bad. I really dont want to replace them so.. no more dunking. Plus yes, replacing starters all the time is a pain in the azz. Who would think electric motors don't like to be submerged? haha

Last edited by a moderator:

wayne pick

As everyone knows, the transmission and transfer case have vents that could take on water also. I don't know if they is supposed to be hose extension on my TC, or if they ever had one, but the M1009 and M1031 I have don't have them. I went through some water the day after hurricane Sandy hit with the 1031, It was just up to the rocker panels though.

MarcusOReallyus

Plus yes, replacing starters all the time is a pain in the azz. Who would think electric motors don't like to be submerged? haha
Hey, it's even better when you add some nice fine silt to it! Fixes up those moving parts mighty fine! You bet! :D

But hey, to each his own. If somebody wants to dunk his rig, it's not my problem. I just hope he isn't kidding himself about the results.

bigburb11

Milky... I've had quite a few trucks and as you referenced earlier, the M1009 (as well as other trucks like it) is some of the cream of the crop as far as off road trucks go.

Electric fans are the way to go for water crossing based on my (and many other's) experience... with waterproof wiring. I'm wondering if you got any deeper into the water than the pictures show... little bit deeper than in the picture could have been pretty interesting!

The trouble with an electric fan and the CUCV is that you have a HOT diesel under the hood. You better have an optimum running cooling system and VERY IMPORTANTLY a great fan shroud if you move to electric.

I run Ford Windstar (90's I think) fans on my m1008. This is a relatively popular mod for the gasser engine crowd. CLEAN cooling system and badass Aluminum radiator on my rig. I added the royal purple additive and I think I noticed a slight difference in cooling efficiency. No issues even if I beat the crap out of it - and I do. I think the factory radiator could work fine in my configuration as well... but I never tried it because my radiator went byebye.

PUT THE STEERING BOX BRACE ON ASAP. I've seen the pictures you posted. I like them. Put the box brace on (offroaddesign.com). Now. For gosh sakes, if you lift the truck put the brace on.

You should change your fluids (except engine; brakes unless required) if you haven't already. Have a good look at the trans oil before deciding it doesn't need it also. You should have a look at your axle/etc. vent tubes and ensure you're not taking on more water than you have to through those. You may need to repack the front wheel bearings after much more fun in the water.

Cool pictures - looks like fun.

Barrman

Wheel bearings! Those poor wheel bearings. Have you pulled the lock out hubs off to see if you have grease or bearing dust inside there? Read the section in the -10 manual about what to do on the truck after you have driven it in unusual conditions. Pretty much anytime you get any liquid above the hubs, lots of things need to come apart and get worked on.

It is your truck so do as you wish. However, a locked up or hub assembly coming off the truck at highway speeds is not something you want to deal with.

Pull your rear drums because they are probably full of silt now and the shoes will be bare metal soon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks