• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radiator swap nightmare (well bad dream at the very least)

nyvram

Yep! She lives! Replaced all 3 belts.. Power steering belt was wrong so glad we found that.. I could remove it without loosening the pulley.

Napa failed to get the hoses they were supposed to have but the ones on there are in great shape so no big deal.

She's running great now. Next we need to change the oil.

CUCVLOVER

The new power steering belt didn't fit? Which part number did you use?

Glad she is running good.
So now you need to buy 2 gallons of 15w40 rotella t6 and a good filter.
Also a get a quart of kerosene and a cheap quart oil to was the kerosene out of the pan. It should hold about 8quarts of oil.
That's what I use
Just don't buy a 8 quart catch pan or you learn to move the pan and get something else under the oil stream with out dumping on you. I learned that the hard way.

Good luck buddy.

rsh4364

I have T-6 in both my 1009s works great,as far as I know it only comes in 5w-40 weight.Which is fine.I also run Wix 51794 oil filter its a 2qt.filter so the 6.2 will hold an honest 2gal.of oil.With an original style filter you use 7qts.of oil to fill up.The 5w-40 T-6 really lets the motor spin on start ups in cold weather.Its also fully syn.so protects motor better,and stays cleaner longer.

Last edited:

CUCVLOVER

I have T-6 in both my 1009s works great,as far as I know it only comes in 5w-40 weight.Which is fine.I also run Wix 51794 oil filter its a 2qt.filter so the 6.2 will hold an honest 2gal.of oil.With an original style filter you use 7qts.of oil to fill up.The 5w-40 T-6 really lets the motor spin on start ups in cold weather.
Not to hijack but does the 09 have a trans cooler?
If so won't the 2 quart filter rub the lines? It did in my 08 so I had to use the standard filter.

rsh4364

1009 same set up as 1008,I have no fitment issues on 2 1009s so far.But I don't have a 1008 so maybe lines routed a bit different.When I say same set up I mean same radiator,oil cooler and trans cooler.

Last edited:

rsh4364

nyvram where did you get radiator and part # if you don't mind.Its just nice to know for people doing searches in the future.I also plan on a radiator swap this week,I already have an AZ b850.I also plan on changing crank dampner since I will have the extra room for tools.

cucvrus

I would tear that long filter off every time I go off road. We had one a snow plow truck and it had several dents in it. That was enough to tell me don't ever put one of then on again. And if your transmission line interfere with the filter. Someone has been messing with your lines. I just replaced the transmission lines on my terminus M1009 because they had compression and rubber hoses running up to some God awful wire tied auxiliary oil cooler. That is gone on the scrap pile and the stock lines are back in place. I plowed snow with the same truck for 15 years and it never had anything extra. These trucks are made to run hard stock. I could have seen me out wheeling last weekend and having a great time. Then me sitting along the trail with my transmission bleeding out because of the failure of a piece of tubing be it rubber or steel. Not worth the worry or effort. We are all good here. Same as the extra long filter. one well placed stoned or stick and I am screwed. Done for the day.

nyvram

Chase --- your belts were correct. The wrong one was on before.. I'll post the part number but it was too long.. The power steering pulley wouldn't pull it tight

Your part fit perfect. We have the rotella just need to do it.

We also have the b850 radiator or whatever the autozone number is. It went in fairly easily and we like that it's warranted for life.

Jake should be popping up with questions soon. The hmmwv seatbelts arrived today so that's our next job.

Also the inside radio mount arrived.

Last edited:

rsh4364

Good point on oil filter Rick.I don't off-road much,only some really deep snow once in a while.But I like the extra qt capacity,and it doesn't hang down that low.The oil pan hangs much lower.

rsh4364

Chase --- your belts were correct. The wrong one was on before.. I'll post the part number but it was too long.. The power steering pulley wouldn't pull it tight

We also have the b850 radiator or whatever the autozone number is. It went in fairly easily and we like that it's warranted for life.

Jake should be popping up with questions soon. The hmmwv seatbelts arrived today so that's our next job.

Happy to read you didn't have issues with trans.lines and oil cooler lines to the B850 radiator.

cucvrus

I must be thinking of a different filter then you are referring to. i had a guy install a very long filter on a CUCV plow truck and thought it was cool. Till he went to service it and saw it was dented and a crease in the filter. No longer as cool as he thought it was. I followed a red tranny fluid trail once in the snow. Little did I know I was chasing my own trail from about an hour earlier in another plow truck I was driving. When I got back to the garage the floor was covered in transmission fluid. I was driving that same truck earlier in the night. I parked it because it had a broken fan belt. The transfer case was leaking at the front output shaft seal. Easy fix. If you have not changed yours do it before winter. They have a lot of mud and grass packed in everyone I change out. Same as the pinion seals front and back. Packed in mud and grass. Easy change before it gets cold.

nyvram

Well if you read my first post you'll see we had to file/grind down the ends slightly on the passenger side to get them to fit. The driver side was fine.

Also we had to cut a little metal off the passenger side bracket to get the radiator cap to completely screw on.

CUCVLOVER

Good.
How long did it take to get the power steering tight? Being a one man work crew it took me while.

Tell him to post away its how you learn this site.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks