• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radio mount for HMMWV GMV

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe the tray is the same as usual, what they did was have that u shaped surround made so more stuff could be mounted on top. Somebody was reproing those, maybe 86humv.

papakb

I like the power box but think I'd have swapped one of the cigarette lighter sockets for a dual USB charger port. Nice setup!

cruzinz28

This is the 2nd Generation of the 24v/12v inverter box used on the GMV trucks. A member of our small group did write up on this for us. Here is an excerpt from his write up:

"Sometime around 2006-2008 another inverter was adopted, a 24v>12v Inverter/Power Distribution Box which housed twin Vicor VI-P111-EVV 24v>12v 150watt inverters (about $625 each from Mouser). This tan box can be seen bolted to the Driver's side of the GMV Radio Protective Housing, or on the Navigator's side between the BFT and other equipment. This Inverter was manufactured by InfiniD Technologies of Pasadena, CA, approximate Taxpayer price in 2009 $3650 each. The InfiniD Inverter not only has 3x12v circuit breaker protected outlets on the front, it also has 4x 2pin 24v and 4x 4pin 12v/24v circuit breaker protected cannon plugs on the back. The InfiniD Inverter has a main power switch on the front and two bypass switches on the bottom so if one Vicor inverter goes down you can bypass it to power all your electronic accessories or even the LVOSS system. "

All credit for the write up to: Crapgame

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks to both of you for the details as I had not seen it previously. I was somewhat interested but after reading the description and Uncle Sugar's cost; it is out of my "I want that budget" ;-)

Have any of these been surplussed out?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This huge radio stack looks cool and all but be forewarned that it blocks the driver view of the RH mirror. I am going with the cooler Blue Force computer even though GMVs didn’t seem to have those.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This huge radio stack looks cool and all but be forewarned that it blocks the driver view of the RH mirror. I am going with the cooler Blue Force computer even though GMVs didn’t seem to have those.
You are correct! I have a double stack on my radio tray without the enclosure and the mirror is pretty useless even if i lean forward.....
I have a mrap fish eye wide angle mirror mounted on my right brush guard so at least I have some visibility...

I can't imagine what this set up would let you be able to see. Would have to always have a navigator in that seat.

siguy

Thanks for sharing the information.
I do think the power distribution box is a much better solution than what I originally plan to use, R442/VRC boxes

s-l1600 (15).jpg
442jb.jpg
They are much more bulky but do provide AC input as alternative power source. And the 24V clip can easily be hooked to 24v to 12v regulators.
Great information, thanks for sharing !

siguy

I like the power box but think I'd have swapped one of the cigarette lighter sockets for a dual USB charger port. Nice setup!
Kurt,
I’m using this gadget for USB power.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kurt,

$80 for a device that accomplishes everything a $5 device can. Yikes.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kurt,

For the HMMWV, It makes sense as the slave port is on the inside passenger side and very accessible. For others on the outside of cabs not so much.
It does have a 24v to 12v inverter, thermal and overload protection. Pricey but for me it was a solution with out having to add a converter and plug plus cabling. I use it for my cell phone and sometimes the garmin. I am very happy with it.
It also a veteran small business and in a small way I feel I am saying Thank you!

huntler

I'm needing the top rack extension for the GMV. It was mentioned here people reproduce it. Does anyone know if there are any still available? I've just started work on my GMV radio rack and its the biggest piece i'm missing..

Regards

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks