• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radio Shelter for my M37

Eric's hifim37

Hello all,

I picked up a radio shelter for my M37 today and I was wondering if anyone could give me a little history or have worked in one, it is a S-152 AN/MRC-60.

I am going to make myself and nice sleeper out of it when I attend the Tower Park show here in Cali. I am tired of freezing in the winter and burning up in the summer so I can have a climate controlled place to snooze. It is in really great shape and of course it was completly stripped of all commo gear. I want to paint it up like original since it was a Marine shelter it will be cammo, I was really excited it was a Marine shelter because my M37 B1 is a Marine edition. I'll post some pictures when I can.

Any experience or comments welcome

Thanks, Eric..

Eric's hifim37

Thanks for the pictures,

Mine doesn't look quite that nice yet. I would love to have all of the original radio gear but it is pretty pricey now. What makes me curious about the shelter I picked up is it has hardly no vents,mounting holes or electrical panels as the 144 or 250, also it only weighs 389 Lbs empty so my M37 won't even feel it on it's back, plus being so free of panels & vents it will be a easy shelter to make into a sleeper. I want to paint it up on the outside as original, complete with any lift stenciling / unit markings or identification of what it was when used by the Marines.

I'll post some pictures soon.

Eric..

WPNS421

Nice shelter, I have one on my M37, but in the back there is a switchboard, not the little type a big switchboard. The connection for the board are on the rear of the shelter. I have a lot of original equipment from the 60s in it, including a dress uniform jacket. If anyone would be interested in the shelter PM me as I am separating the shelter and truck because I want to sell the M37. This is my first try at inserting pictures hope it works.

Last edited:

WPNS421

Here are some pictures. We have not touched the inside, it is original. The compartments have a lot of stuff inside that is original. i.e. a flashlight 90 degrees first aid kit etc. We were going to use this in shows and when the MVers meet as a central telephone system, but then the big truck bug bit and we are still scrathing the itch. 6 deuces, 1 x CUCV, MKTs amd soon a M816, so all the smaller MVs are being sold off. I also have the trailer 3/4 ton and a generator that goes with the unit.

Last edited:

WPNS421

She's for sale, she has been completely redone and needs the final touches. We have quite a bit of money invested in her, engine rebuilt, new gas lines,new brake lines, cab completely redone, seats redone and we have replaced the wiring harness (Vintage wiring of Maine) also we have good tires for her. She needs a tailgate and a good tuneup because we have used her only occaisionally and the carb is gummed up. We have a complete library of photos on the rebuild.

Last edited:

HAWKMAN

Here's the one I have. Its a 140 series shelter but no data plate showing exactly which one. Pic of the dataplate does show what type of shelter it is.
This is an AN GRC-46-B shelter. It came equipted with a T-195 trans 392 URR rec. TT-76 teletype and a Ugc-7, (I believe) teletype. They came with multifuel heaters and a two drawer safe. They were manned by two men. These shelters are the greatest. I've restoed a half dozen of them and the radio guys just go crazy over the complete ones. Here's a pic of what one that has all of it's euipment in it looks like.

Eric's hifim37

Thanks for the pictures, I worked on my shelter today and I found the serial number of 52 on it so i'm thinking it is a real oldie, plus I also found the original markings Marine yellow under layers of paint so I will try to see what they read. There could have not been to much gear in the S-152 and the inside is original white instead of the light green as most are. There are two panels for a switch board or muti coneection on the rear but the I.D. tag says it was a radio set ? who knows. I fiqured it was a oldie when I saw the wiring was cloth covered. I like the 46 & 140 series side mounted door better than the middle door that mine has but hey I have a shelter now after along search. I really like the fact it is light weight. I would like to know what year it is also, I'm going to shoot a nice coat of semi gloss on it this weekend (weather permitting) and slid it in the M37 for a look.

I'll post some pictures of the before shelter tomorrow

Eric..

Nickathome

Dumb question: How do you get the shelter into the bed of the truck. Are there jack legs such as those on a civy truck camper, or is a crane hoist needed?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks