• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radio Tray Quick Disconnects

hrbergeron

Steel Soldiers Supporter
[FONT=&quot]When I received my 2 man HMMWV there was a complete 2 level radio shelf hidden under the crumpled troop carrier cover in the back. The radio shelf feet were still installed between the front seats on top of the tunnel.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]My goal was to mount this shelf unit so that I could somewhat easily remove the shelves when I needed to remove the doghouse or put something else in the space the shelf occupies between the front seats. At the same time I wanted it to be hard to steal the HMMWV radio tray, as I plan on putting a bluetooth speaker and military radio (PRC 25/77) on this mount.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The problems are that the standard bolt-in installation isn’t difficult, but it does require the use of tools and provides no security for the radio shelf. So, I snagged a few off-the-shelf parts to secure my Humvee radio shelf while making it easy to install or remove without tools, using just a key to unlock one leg.

Here is what you will need[/FONT]

I also posted this on gear report, http://gear-report.com/humvee-upgrade-hmmwv-radio-shelves-quick-disconnects
HMMWV_Radio_shelves_QD-3.jpg

alphaseventwo

Not a bad setup at all. The only thing I'd suggest (and this is only because the Co. I work for just tested 15 or so different padlocks) is not using that master-lock. It took us an avg of 17 seconds or so to pick them open using a tiny screwdriver. We had to test around 15 locks for a study, and those were the easiest by far to open. American Lock rated highest I believe, they use different internal pin setup. This is probably moot though when you consider a good set of bolt cutters really cancels the whole point.