• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rapco paint reducing?

bigelk50

We are about to purchase Rapco paint and are wondering what is the best reducer to use? We are not in a big enough hurry to use any hardner, I do not think.

Any thoughts tips or tricks are appriciated. I have been using the search button for a while, but there is too much info on there and not enough about Rapco.

littlebob

I'm using Rapco. I believe it gives the reduction on thier website if not you can call them. If
I remember correctly it was thin up to 10% with xylene or mineral spirits. I used the xylene.
I did not use the hardner and the paint stays kind of soft for about a month or son till it cures all of the way.

B3.3T

Been using it exclusively for 16 years. Do Not use a hardener. You don't need it. Xylene works fine, mineral spirits works better with a smoother finish as a result. Hardener with add unwanted luster. Reduction depends upon your equipment, but as stated, only 10% is about right.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Wow, I thought it was 4 to 1 with Xylene... And I called Gillespie directly... Now I'm confused :?: I'm using a siphon feed gun @ 70 psi

B3.3T

If 4:1 works for you, no problem. These days, it depends much on your equipment: you gun type, setting, nozzles, etc.

Blood_of_Tyrants

I used paint thinner. The clear kind, not the white kind. I thinned about 1:1 or a little more. I shot with a Binks Mach1 at 45psi and about 1 psi on the 2 quart pressure pot. I think I could shoot with less pressure, though and reduce the overspray. What I like about air spraying paint is that it is FAST and you can paint a whole truck (inside and out) in less than 30 minutes. Of course, sanding and priming and taping take about 2 more days.

As they say, painting is 90% preparation and 10% application.

bigelk50

We are going to use Xylene with our paint. once we have nice weather I will post pics of how it turns out. Thanks for the help guys!