• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rapidly clogging fuel filters... Sand in fuel?

top_prop

FYI

Big filler neck to tank hose that LMC sent me is labeled: SOFTWALL MARINE WET EXHAUST SAEJ2006R1, 1 3/4"

Smaller sending unit to filler neck 'vent' hose is: 5/8" J30R7 fuel line (though I understand 30R7 is not supposed to be exposed long term to bio diesel, but J30R9 is rated for Bio)

You may find these at your marine supplys or other places and not have to pay the LMC price...

Last edited:

top_prop

Truck still won't start...

Put the new tank in and filled it with 10 gallons. Put new primary and secondary filters in and primed them with the pink wire off the IP. Put the pink wire back on, heard the click... but multiple times of no start. Put charger/starter on to make sure I wasn't killing batteries.

Cracked 6 of the 8 injectors (too hard to get on the two rear ones)... cranked multiple times... no fuel seaping out... pulled the return line, put my mity vac on it and started to siphon fuel backwards from the tank just fine (return not clogged)... then put the line from the IP in a jug to make sure that wasn't it... pulled pink wire (I have electric pump) and saw fuel flow through IP and ino my jug... still pulled the return check valve and cleaned it... worked 4.0... Pulled line from output of spin on and got 400 ML of fuel in 15 seconds (tech manual says 250 min)... can't take the top of the IP off because its got 5pt star with the circle in the center heads on the bolts (my security bit set only has 6p security Torq's).

Put pink wire back on, and tried to start it (return still in jug just to be sure its not back pressure on the return side)... nothing... Cracked the front injectors and cranked it a few times to check prime... still nothing coming out of injector lines... so I Pulled the #1 GP and had my son start it to see if anything would come out... nothing but air... starting to think the IP/Injector lines are the issue now.. I don't really know what else to do except pull IP, Lines and injectors and replace.

Any other ideas?

Last edited:

top_prop

more then 18" of unprotected non solid fuel line will get you in a heap of trouble........ Might want to re think that one.
Have you replaced the lift pump?
Plenty of fuel flowing from tank to ip and going out return. I'm not thinking it's a supply issue. I have an electric pump near the tank.

axeman

I had that same no start after changing my setup also. Don't give up, Or maybe for a while. I to thought the worst,took a break. In the morning the thing started on third try. I'll bet your really close. It just takes a while if its air locked or nearly so.

top_prop

Cracked all the injectors this am... got some fuel seaping from them now, but not bubbling or squirting... been cranking the snot out of it... I replaced the IP and injectors on my civi 6.2 (really.. I helped Shade_tree do it)... and it didn't take this much cranking to prime it... i'm thinking the worst: IP and injectors....

top_prop

Security 5pt torq's came in Thursday (found them cheap on Amazon). Opened the IP. There was a dusting of rust that had settled on the horizontal surfaces inside... so I had my smoking gun. On Friday I went to local stanadyne authorized shop and ordered new injectors, and gave them a db2-4524 to rebuild (that I got out of the Humvee block that is now in my R20 Suburban). But it won't be ready soon enough as I have to depart on a work trip.

Just got the IP out with the rust (its a 4521)... will swap in the rebuilt 4524 and new injectors when I get back from the trip. I poured the fuel that was in the IP into a coffee filter... well at least until a drop hit my wife's hand who wanted to 'help' and hold the filter... and screamed and dumped it all when some fuel touched her.... caught enough to show that it was too much in there anyways...

Rust dust in IP close up fish eye.jpgrust that came out of IP.jpg

Last edited:

top_prop

Put the rebuilt 4524 in with new injectors... running like a champ. Basically since I've gotten this truck two years ago ever part of the fuel system except the hard lines, and most of the rubber on the return lines has now been replaced.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks