• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rat Deuce project 1

61sleepercab

Before you get a big gun and put holes in the block , try pulling the head carefully and study the head gasket carefully for shadows ,paths for fluid bypass. Some cylinder cracks can be cured with new liner or sleeve the block. Lots of engines can be salvaged without full rebuild. I rebuilt a Ford tractor engine with dry sleeves and later the engine ate the sleeve and pounded it into pieces the size of a quarter. The cylinder was bored out for the thick iron sleeve and is running still. I had a straight 6 on a trailer and a guy left the cover off the carb and I ended up with a stuck engine with water in all 6 holes----- sometimes you do not get a break. Pull a head and see if you might luck out with a bad head gasket only.

BBQROD

I have plans to pull the engine and disassemble take the block to the machine shop for further analysis. But putting a sleeve in is a viable option. But my plans are to completely rebuild the bottom end.

61sleepercab

Sorry you had the set back on your progress on the Rat Rod project. Your idea beats the low riders with military rubber stuck at each end. I have seen Jeeps, M35, m37 and Korean war 6x6 slammed to the ground with tires sticking out both ends. I have not got excited and got out the cutting torch for one of those yet. But "BEAUTY IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER" I guess.

BBQROD

Yeah mine will sit a little shorter than original height and rear wheel drive but I will be able to get on down the road at highway speeds and pull a trailer. If I can ever get finished......

What's sad is this is only the mock up phase. I still have to tear it back apart to do paint and detail work.....

Last edited:

BBQROD

Well I found another complete engine for this project. We did a little horse trading and came to an agreement. I get it home and go to work. Pull my bad motor out do a little motor mount swapping. Next day I get it put back in the saddle bolted down. Change out some filters hook up some wires and presto she purrs like a kitten. Well during start up I had to loosen lines at the injectors to get the air out if the system no problem rite! Wrong! I noticed above the in block oil cooler there is bubbles forming from the fuel puddle. There is pulsing air coming out from between the block and the head gasket!!!::::....... Man oh man I can't get a break. It looks like the quacks I got the engine from juiced this thing up on starting fluid and blew the head gasket. no water in the oil no massive pressure in the radiator every thing is stable except for compression leaking in one spot. I am going to pull exhaust manifold first to make sure it isn't just blowing straight down on it.

Last edited:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bummer!! "If it twern't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all! Boon, despair, and agony on me!" Hang in there!! YOU'LL GET IT!!!

God bless,
Tony

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hopefully it's only the HG. So it runs good other than that?

Make sure you have the head surfaced. And straight edge the block to make sure you're GTG. Now would also be a great time to upgrade the HG to a MLS gasket and studs. Once you've got a good head gasket and studs, you can run a 5.9 to 40psi of boost no problems. Then you can have a Rat HOT rod deuce. ;)

BBQROD

Well I tore into the engine I just got. This engine is in very good shape no lip in the cylinders and you can still see the cross hatch hone marks from the factory. I decided since I had it tore down this far I might as well go ahead and change the front cover and install the inline injection pump. Every one that I know of that is a diesel guru said it was the better setup. So here I go. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405455080.036034.jpg

BBQROD

Thank you Patracy they had scored the hole to prevent dowel escape but I put my on little twist on it to make sure it never comes out. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405477289.945606.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1405477306.295951.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks