• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rat Deuce project 1

FloridaAKM

That is some amazing work you are doing there. Keep up the building & pictures so we can see your progress. The folks @ the DVM are going to really scratch their heads when you bring this truck for them to title; or not!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That exhaust thru the windshield will be a little hot and noisy. ;-)

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You make it look easy. A dream truck with less concern flying down the highway. This will have a lot of heads nodding up and down with some boys already starting their plans based on a bus, very cool. Wrapping an early deuce around some modern running gear would be a good future plan for me but you have some crazy skills that I'll need to find first.......nice work.

How many details did you already have worked out before you started or is this like the New York Rangers and changing on the fly?

61sleepercab

I like the shifter box. Hope it is not a shin eater like my M925a2 shifter with pto winch controls that is right where my leg wants to occupy. I am 6'4" and the truck is cramped for me and do not get me started on trying the pedals in a Deuce with the petals in the up position. Good job on your project. Mark

BBQROD

Shifter is outta the way pretty good. The cabs on these trucks were designed kinda small but I'll make the best of it. As far as preempted strikes go. I did the basic home work measured frames and other things. But it definitely has been a learning curve from beginning to the middle where I am now. The bus was the best way to do this kind of swap. You have all the parts you need to basically get it moving. The bus I got had a hole tore in the roof but all the drive train was in decent shape. The only thing I would do different is find a shorty bus with lighter duty suspension. Just the body off of mine was 8000 lbs so this lighter version of a deuce doesn't quite compress the springs as it should. I will deal with the springs when it get fully dressed.

Last edited:

61sleepercab

You can fine tune springs with adding or removing leaves to suit your duty. I had a 1977 Jeep pick up that would not haul sh#t but with 3/4 ton Chevy springs on rear and 18" stretch on frame and the truck could haul 2 to 3 tons of rock with no problems. I think Hot Rod magazine or Street Rodder had article on leaf springs and effect of arch, and square or tapered ends on each leaf.

61sleepercab

Are you going to recycle the body? Hope it was aluminum, a friend of mine sharpened the inside of a chain hook and tied a van body to a tree and tied the chain to a dozer and used the hook like a can opener. He had several hundred dollars of sheet stock to sell real fast. Mark

BBQROD

Latest update. Rat Deuce project hit a brick wall today. Motor is no good it has a cracked block.

Out of funds so out under the shed it goes.

BBQROD

All I know right now is if you put piston to the bottom of the bore it will fill up the cylinder if you put the piston to the top of the bore it will put water in the oil.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks