• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

re-wiring my MEP-004a for different voltages, including single phase

hamrepairguy

Who said anything about powering a house? Why make assumptions? Some may have a real need. Others may do the conversion because they want to. Which is wrong?

With that said, I think I will go for a drive in my M934 hauling exactly nothing getting 7 MPG. :)

Maybe I should have added, that my friend wants to run the generator continuous for weeks at a time with no interruption. Most generators are not rated for continuos duty cycle like this one.

He has a 1000 gallon subterranean fuel tank and gets his fuel dirt cheap. So cost to run really isnt a factor for him.

hamrepairguy

Sewerzuk, is their a chance I could pay you for your time to check mep-006a wire configuration. I need the complete modification asap for my buddy.

thanks

Maybe I should have added, that my friend wants to run the generator continuous for weeks at a time with no interruption. Most generators are not rated for continuos duty cycle like this one.

He has a 1000 gallon subterranean fuel tank and gets his fuel dirt cheap. So cost to run really isnt a factor for him.

bimota

We could take on a paid project to convert the MEP-006a and write a detailed procedure for you or for public posting. Shop rate is $69.95 per hour and it will take 2-3 weeks due to our backlog. Estimated time is 16-24 hours to due to conversion and load test, writing it up is another 8-16 hours depending on the level of detail you want. Do the math - maybe somebody will do it for fun.

We can also offer: Cummins powered Marathon 70kw single phase generator on a skid - load tested for $6000 or in a dual axle enclosed trailer for $7995 a Generac 50kw diesel on a 100gal tank base - for $5000 FOB - California or AZ. These are factory built quality prime power generators that you can get serviced by the local Generac Tech. Just wanted all to know the options out there.

It can be fun to do conversions as a hobby but as a business either as a user or a service tech; conversions are expensive and problematic long term. Efficiency is one point especially if you run long hours. Otherwise resale and future service challenges are another. Hey, I'm all for the tinkerer to play and either have success or make a mess but when you need to rely on equipment it should be done right, plus when you need to run long term the costs of issues and poor fuel economy are just like high taxes - a big drag on your economy. That's my main point. If you need long term microgrid - we use Homer from NREL to design and project costs for years.

hamrepairguy

Thank you for the offer I really do appreciate it. But since sewerzuk has already figured out the conversion and has put to the test, I will just wait for him to post the conversion. Im doing the conversion as a favor for my buddy and am not making anything for my time. I will probably get some free beers and food lol.

We could take on a paid project to convert the MEP-006a and write a detailed procedure for you or for public posting. Shop rate is $69.95 per hour and it will take 2-3 weeks due to our backlog. Estimated time is 16-24 hours to due to conversion and load test, writing it up is another 8-16 hours depending on the level of detail you want. Do the math - maybe somebody will do it for fun.

We can also offer: Cummins powered Marathon 70kw single phase generator on a skid - load tested for $6000 or in a dual axle enclosed trailer for $7995 a Generac 50kw diesel on a 100gal tank base - for $5000 FOB - California or AZ. These are factory built quality prime power generators that you can get serviced by the local Generac Tech. Just wanted all to know the options out there.

It can be fun to do conversions as a hobby but as a business either as a user or a service tech; conversions are expensive and problematic long term. Efficiency is one point especially if you run long hours. Otherwise resale and future service challenges are another. Hey, I'm all for the tinkerer to play and either have success or make a mess but when you need to rely on equipment it should be done right, plus when you need to run long term the costs of issues and poor fuel economy are just like high taxes - a big drag on your economy. That's my main point. If you need long term microgrid - we use Homer from NREL to design and project costs for years.

hamrepairguy

Thank you for the offer I really do appreciate it. But since sewerzuk has already figured out the conversion and has put to the test, I will just wait for him to post the conversion. Im doing the conversion as a favor for my buddy and am not making anything for my time. I will probably get some free beers and food lol.

powerzuk, have you gad a chance to check out your mep006 single phase conversion yet

sewerzuk

powerzuk, have you gad a chance to check out your mep006 single phase conversion yet
Sorry but I don't have access to an -006a right now; I have done a couple of these in the past, and even shot some video of my last one intending to do a "how to" on the 006. But, the video didn't turn out and I haven't had another one find its way into my shop since then. The last one that I converted went to a "burning man" a couple of years ago to power some DJ equipment for a week; the owner of the -006a had agreed to power the equipment for the DJ, and the DJ needed about 50kw of clean 120/240 power. He even asked me to send him some pics of my oscilloscope showing the voltages after the conversion. It worked without any problems, but the owner of the -006a sold it and I don't know where it is now.
I'm not trying to withhold information or anything; I don't charge anything for sharing what I've learned and I'm not a generator repair shop. I would tell you how to do it if I felt like I could with a reasonable degree of certainty. But I remember having to do some unexpected wire movements/changes after both conversions that I did not see in my "planning." Unfortunately I didn't take notes or catch those in my video, so I simply don't have that information. I'm afraid of giving you bad information and being responsible for a burned up VR/exciter! With that being said...shoot me a PM and I will discuss it with you. I might be able to guide you through the conversion if you're willing to accept the possibility of repairing your friend's set...

Last edited:

Wh6czu

I just got 2 MEP-806 B 60kw gen sets, I know why so big, my house is big and all elec. the heater pulls 85amps running and 105 amps at startup. Now my question is how to rewire the mep-806b from 3 phase to single . Thanks

R Racing

The 806 is a 10 wire head not a 12 so from what I have been told it can't be done. I have a 806 myself and I'm lucky enough to have 3 power panels with close to equal loads.so I run mine on 3 phase 208 and adjust the voltage up to close to 240. Then run phase A and B to panel 1. A and C to panel 2. And phase B to C to panel 3 and works like a champ.

bimota

oooyyyy - is the truth stranger than fiction?

The 806 is a 10 wire head not a 12 so from what I have been told it can't be done. I have a 806 myself and I'm lucky enough to have 3 power panels with close to equal loads.so I run mine on 3 phase 208 and adjust the voltage up to close to 240. Then run phase A and B to panel 1. A and C to panel 2. And phase B to C to panel 3 and works like a champ.

So first I find it hard to believe that a 10 lead generator will deliver 208 three phase - anyone? But that's hardly the point; the real point is we are learning that for backup and short term use you don't need to switch a unit to single phase to get most if not all things working on your home. Now longer term there are some real issues but most often for short term emergency use most if not all single phase stuff will run off a tweaked 3 phase generator. Tweaked being running up the voltage to 240 three phase and carefully wiring things.

That's what I love about this thread - people have been spending a huge amount of time taking huge machines and rewiring them only to learn that they lost efficiency and probably did not need to do that - at least for backup applications.

Wh6czu

So first I find it hard to believe that a 10 lead generator
will deliver 208 three phase - anyone?

View attachment 590199 This should prove to you that yes it is a 10 lead generator and it can produce 208 volts three phase. You also can get 120 volt single phase from it too. The TM explains how.
f. The generator on the MEP 806B is single bearing, drip-proof, synchronous, brushless, three phase, fan cooled generator. The current output is 120/208VAC is 208 amps at 60Hz; 240/416VAC is 104 amps at 60Hz. The current output is 120/208VAC is 173 amps at 50Hz, and 240/416VAC at 86 amps.

The main thing I need to run is my heater , it's 70,000 btu 20kw 240v 60hz 1ph

R Racing

If it's only the heater you want to run you could use it either delta or wye . If your going to use it like me then go low voltage and use wye set up like I am.

Wh6czu

My heater is 240v 60hz 1ph , wod like to use everything in house but as I said heat is number one. I'm all new to this and just learning about 3 phase and 1 phase , I was told the generator is only 10 wire and can't do 240 single phase.

R Racing

If it were me I'd brake it up your circuits in to 3 even loaded panels. Feed them from the power company the same way your doing now but parrelel your imputs.then ID back feed them when the power goes out then do the A to B. A to C , and B to C and run the gen 3 phase. To back feed I'd run it thru a breaker and turn off your main coming in as not back feed the line and blow stuff up.

Wh6czu

I'm not understanding this at all...let me give a little more info about my house.
My elec. heater pulls 85 amps running and 105 at startup.
I not have anything else that pulls that much, so I'm not sure how I could balance my loads.
I'm sure I'm missing something. I just can't see it in my head.
I'll try and get my batteries tomorrow I ran at of time today cause of med appointments at Ft Knox. When I get it up and running maybe I'll see thing clearer . But anyway thanks for all your info and I'll get back to you I'm sure for more help.

R Racing

Its pretty easy. Take a calculator . Add all your breakers up. OK you still with me ? now divide by 3 . and then divide your circuits' best you can to equal that number for each of the 3 panels. They don't need to be perfect. But do the best you can to divvy up the load.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks