• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Brake Shoes - What size? Two options at NAPA...

MuddWeiser

I am trying to replace my brakes on the CUCV. I got the right FRONT Brakes, but I have no clue what the rear brake shoe size is???

I am out in the city right now and am hoping somebody can tell me if they are the 11" or the 11 + 5/32" size so I can pick them up before I drive home...

ALSO -- THere used to be a parts cross reference thread but I can't seem to find it? Does anyone know where it went??? I saw the FAQ but I thought there was an actual thread with more part #'s....

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

ida34

Both sizes are for 1/2 ton applications. You need the larger of the two. I might be mistaken but I thought the difference was not the diameter but the width of the shoe. Either way get the bigger of the two. I have some in the garage that I have not installed yet. I can try to post the number tomorrow.

Last edited:

MuddWeiser

I ended up coming home with the WIDER of the 2... They were REALLY wide, like twice the width of the smaller size...

I haven't had a chance to put them on yet but hope they are the right ones...

WE SHOULD HAVE THE PART # LISTED SOMEWHERE ON THIS SITE FOR THE BRAKE PADS / SHOES! I couldn't find them listed anywhere!

If it turns out I have the right size and they fit - I will post my part#...

But if anyone already KNOWS the right part # it might be nice to post it as well!

chief1983

And here I am, looking for this exact same question, and I actually find the thread through forum search, only to find that no one followed up with the part # :p

Apparently though, there's a core charge for the shoes, so I'll just be taking off my current set before I head up to NAPA since they have both in stock already.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
AAR, it's called an After Action Report!

Follow up is a very helpful thing.

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
This is a bit late but did anyone find out which shoes? So far all the hardware I have ordered for my '85 M1008 has been the same as an '85 Chevy K-30 but I havent done the rear shoes yet. Thanks.

jdemaris

I am trying to replace my brakes on the CUCV. I got the right FRONT Brakes, but I have no clue what the rear brake shoe size is???

!
GM uses JD5, JD6, and JD7 in diesel Blazers and trucks.

Blazers are JD5.

Trucks and Suburbans are JD6 or JD7.

JD5 is: 11.8" X 1.29" front rotors and 11.1" X 2.75" rear drums
JD6 is: 12.5" X 1.28" front rotors and 11.1" x 2.75" rear drums
JD7 is: 12.5" X 1.28" front rotors and 13" X 2.5" rear drums

Midnight Rider

A little more searching and I found another member had posted this for the rear shoes

NAPA Part #
Brake shoes: TS-473

That turns out to be the 11 5/32 x 2 shoes

cucvrus

Rear; Single Rear Wheels; with 13 IN x 3-1/2 IN Brakes
Quick Question????
I am away from the shop. Can someone verify this is the correct rear drum size on the M1008/M1028? Please. I am 99.9% sure but I have someone offering me a set and want to make sure they are rthe correct thing. I am about to purchase a few sets of rear drums if they are the correct size. Man the things people scrap is unbelievable. Happy Holidays.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rear drums are 13x3 1/2. FYI even the dual wheel cab and chassis uses the same shoes but different bor on wheel cylinders. They do all interchange though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks