• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Brake Shoes - What size? Two options at NAPA...

MuddWeiser

I am trying to replace my brakes on the CUCV. I got the right FRONT Brakes, but I have no clue what the rear brake shoe size is???

I am out in the city right now and am hoping somebody can tell me if they are the 11" or the 11 + 5/32" size so I can pick them up before I drive home...

ALSO -- THere used to be a parts cross reference thread but I can't seem to find it? Does anyone know where it went??? I saw the FAQ but I thought there was an actual thread with more part #'s....

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

ida34

Both sizes are for 1/2 ton applications. You need the larger of the two. I might be mistaken but I thought the difference was not the diameter but the width of the shoe. Either way get the bigger of the two. I have some in the garage that I have not installed yet. I can try to post the number tomorrow.

Last edited:

MuddWeiser

I ended up coming home with the WIDER of the 2... They were REALLY wide, like twice the width of the smaller size...

I haven't had a chance to put them on yet but hope they are the right ones...

WE SHOULD HAVE THE PART # LISTED SOMEWHERE ON THIS SITE FOR THE BRAKE PADS / SHOES! I couldn't find them listed anywhere!

If it turns out I have the right size and they fit - I will post my part#...

But if anyone already KNOWS the right part # it might be nice to post it as well!

chief1983

And here I am, looking for this exact same question, and I actually find the thread through forum search, only to find that no one followed up with the part # :p

Apparently though, there's a core charge for the shoes, so I'll just be taking off my current set before I head up to NAPA since they have both in stock already.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
AAR, it's called an After Action Report!

Follow up is a very helpful thing.

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
This is a bit late but did anyone find out which shoes? So far all the hardware I have ordered for my '85 M1008 has been the same as an '85 Chevy K-30 but I havent done the rear shoes yet. Thanks.

jdemaris

I am trying to replace my brakes on the CUCV. I got the right FRONT Brakes, but I have no clue what the rear brake shoe size is???

!
GM uses JD5, JD6, and JD7 in diesel Blazers and trucks.

Blazers are JD5.

Trucks and Suburbans are JD6 or JD7.

JD5 is: 11.8" X 1.29" front rotors and 11.1" X 2.75" rear drums
JD6 is: 12.5" X 1.28" front rotors and 11.1" x 2.75" rear drums
JD7 is: 12.5" X 1.28" front rotors and 13" X 2.5" rear drums

Midnight Rider

A little more searching and I found another member had posted this for the rear shoes

NAPA Part #
Brake shoes: TS-473

That turns out to be the 11 5/32 x 2 shoes

cucvrus

Rear; Single Rear Wheels; with 13 IN x 3-1/2 IN Brakes
Quick Question????
I am away from the shop. Can someone verify this is the correct rear drum size on the M1008/M1028? Please. I am 99.9% sure but I have someone offering me a set and want to make sure they are rthe correct thing. I am about to purchase a few sets of rear drums if they are the correct size. Man the things people scrap is unbelievable. Happy Holidays.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rear drums are 13x3 1/2. FYI even the dual wheel cab and chassis uses the same shoes but different bor on wheel cylinders. They do all interchange though.