• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear gerry can mounts

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a can mount that goes on the pass side step,I bought this one at the 2010 Ga rally for 25.00,it was the only one there and I've seen only 3 in two years and one went for over a hundred dollars on Ebay,so good luck finding one,but they look easy to fabricate.
Over a hundred eh? Perhaps its time to let one go!

caliber1

Here's a can mount that goes on the pass side step,I bought this one at the 2010 Ga rally for 25.00,it was the only one there and I've seen only 3 in two years and one went for over a hundred dollars on Ebay,so good luck finding one,but they look easy to fabricate.
That's next Ray, I got three from Pete a couple of weeks ago. Gonna get some heavy piano type hinge to weld on, and copy ODDBALL's setup.

I have a water... jerry can back there on the driver side and may place a possum carrier on the passenger side.
Hmm, haven't seen the possum carrier. What TM is that in? Are there any pictures of one around? rofl

When it comes to carrying extra fuel, Hundy had a pretty spiffy idea when he did one of his bobbers, he left about 12 inches of space between the cab and bed, and mounted a couple jerry can carriers to the front of the bed. I plan on doing the same with my bobber project, but I'm not stopping at just 2 can holders. I'm thinking 6 all the way across!
[thumbzup]

Attachments

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Carrying fuel back there could be dangerous as pointed out while it's a good place for carrying water. This spare tire mount would provide a little bit of protection for rear mounted containers,(not really).

Attachments

Awesome Possum

When it comes to carrying extra fuel, Hundy had a pretty spiffy idea when he did one of his bobbers, he left about 12 inches of space between the cab and bed, and mounted a couple jerry can carriers to the front of the bed. I plan on doing the same with my bobber project, but I'm not stopping at just 2 can holders. I'm thinking 6 all the way across!
[thumbzup]
Here's what Badga did to fill the gap on our truck. Alas, there are some accessories out of out reach.......

Attachments

That's pretty cool Jeff! I like it! That looks like an M105 bed if my eyes aren't lying to me. When I do my bob job, I plan to remove the lower rivets holding the bogie plates to the bogie castings, and use the plates riveted to the truck frame to align and bind the spring section of the trailer frame to the the truck frame. This will eliminate the need for lift blocks between the axle and the springs, as well as give the rear end of the truck a little bit of lift. However using the bogie plates in thier original position, the plates will fall between the tabs for the trailer helper springs, setting the rear axle about 18 inches behind where the lead rear end would be in it's 6x6 configuration. This will necessitate lengthening the drive shaft about 18 inches and give me about 15 inches between the bed and cab where I'll build a custom tool box/gun locker, and have a set of fuel can holders across the front of the bed above the box. I'd like to see a couple full shots of your truck if you've got em!
[thumbzup]

Awesome Possum

That's pretty cool Jeff! I like it! That looks like an M105 bed if my eyes aren't lying to me. When I do my bob job, I plan to remove the lower rivets holding the bogie plates to the bogie castings, and use the plates riveted to the truck frame to align and bind the spring section of the trailer frame to the the truck frame. This will eliminate the need for lift blocks between the axle and the springs, as well as give the rear end of the truck a little bit of lift. However using the bogie plates in thier original position, the plates will fall between the tabs for the trailer helper springs, setting the rear axle about 18 inches behind where the lead rear end would be in it's 6x6 configuration. This will necessitate lengthening the drive shaft about 18 inches and give me about 15 inches between the bed and cab where I'll build a custom tool box/gun locker, and have a set of fuel can holders across the front of the bed above the box. I'd like to see a couple full shots of your truck if you've got em!
[thumbzup]
Thanks! The truck continues to change each month as ideas pop up. I knew I'd saved those steps for nine years for some reason. Getting too old and fat to get into the cab without dreading it before hand.
I used front springs on mine, and to bring the bed up to the cab I'd have had to remove a bunch of stuff (fuel and air tanks , rivets in the cross member) so I mounted it farther back. Don't remember how much was added to the driveshaft, maybe 11". Before we did the pioneer rack/fuel cans thing, I kinda' wished we'd had enough room for a spare tire rack, but me and Badga are glad it came out so well. Next we'll mount a job box in the back, (after repainting OD, of course).

Attachments

caliber1

[thumbzup]
RTZH, that is by far the best looking drink holder I have seen in any MV!!! :beer::-D

indy4x4fab

Banned
Thanks! The truck continues to change each month as ideas pop up. I knew I'd saved those steps for nine years for some reason. Getting too old and fat to get into the cab without dreading it before hand.
I used front springs on mine, and to bring the bed up to the cab I'd have had to remove a bunch of stuff (fuel and air tanks , rivets in the cross member) so I mounted it farther back. Don't remember how much was added to the driveshaft, maybe 11". Before we did the pioneer rack/fuel cans thing, I kinda' wished we'd had enough room for a spare tire rack, but me and Badga are glad it came out so well. Next we'll mount a job box in the back, (after repainting OD, of course).
That's the kinda step i need for the wife!!!! Can you post up a picture of the step loose for the truck as well as some measurements please.

barefootin

[thumbzup]
I need the honest truth.... You just needed a reason to post that 1st picture didn't you?....:-D I showed that one to my son about a month ago when doing a google search on Deuce winch.

Awesome Possum

That's the kinda step i need for the wife!!!! Can you post up a picture of the step loose for the truck as well as some measurements please.
I don't have the measurements offhand, but the're robably about 11"x11" at a guess. Years ago I got to take a bunch of picked-through tri-walls a guy had in exchange for cleaning out his storage trailers. These showed up but I have no idea what vehicle they're for. I had Badga use the hole saw to clear a support on the underside of the running board. At least on the driver''s side I'm putting a 50 cal ammo can to act as the third step.

Attachments

indy4x4fab

Banned
I don't have the measurements offhand, but the're robably about 11"x11" at a guess. Years ago I got to take a bunch of picked-through tri-walls a guy had in exchange for cleaning out his storage trailers. These showed up but I have no idea what vehicle they're for. I had Badga use the hole saw to clear a support on the underside of the running board. At least on the driver''s side I'm putting a 50 cal ammo can to act as the third step.
Just a shot in the dark here but you don't happen to have one more laying around do you?

Awesome Possum

Just a shot in the dark here but you don't happen to have one more laying around do you?
I'm afraid not. Until I decided to have them mounted I wasn't even sure I had two. If another shows up, however unlikely, I'll let you know. The step is a one piece stamping that's got a lot of bends, but I'm sure something similar could be cooked up with a bit of cutting and welding.

Welder Sam

I dont know what its called but theres material available with small holes that have the shoulders like that preformed into a c shape.

We use it here in the shop for grain cart ladders

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks