• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear gerry can mounts

svd dragunov

When it comes to carrying extra fuel, Hundy had a pretty spiffy idea when he did one of his bobbers, he left about 12 inches of space between the cab and bed, and mounted a couple jerry can carriers to the front of the bed. I plan on doing the same with my bobber project, but I'm not stopping at just 2 can holders. I'm thinking 6 all the way across!
[thumbzup]
only cans i noticed where on the girl. did i miss something?

SE Jones

I understand the concerns. Mine aren't made to hold the weight of a can full of fuel. If I need extra fuel, I fill them and then secure them inside the back of the truck...or in the trailer. fuel cans.jpg

sparragh

When it comes to carrying extra fuel, Hundy had a pretty spiffy idea when he did one of his bobbers, he left about 12 inches of space between the cab and bed, and mounted a couple jerry can carriers to the front of the bed. I plan on doing the same with my bobber project, but I'm not stopping at just 2 can holders. I'm thinking 6 all the way across!
[thumbzup]
Bobber? What Bobber?

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run two water cans on the mudflaps, keeps them out of the desert sun (nothing like hot plastic water when you're thirsty :p )
I did swap out my rear flaps for the front ones on the She Beast. The ones on the 109's have only one fold in the middle, opposed to the two folds on a cargo bed flap, and the folded ridge is in the direction of the tires. Makes mounting real easy. I did have to move the outside support farther out to clear the cans.
P7130020.jpg

For fuel I have an extra 4 cans under where the tool box should be (till I cut that step up higher).
13-05-19 (51).jpg

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike/WSUCougarx
Like your idea regarding the tow bar hold down assembly, (post #10) Where did you soure the tow bar hold down clamps. I have a very similar idea. Nice truck, I check your other thread, nice work.
JC

Diecorpse

Just a question, but wouldn't it be easier, cheaper, and safer to have a tank or drum secured in the back for extra fuel? I think the jerry cans look cool in the back and what not, but the extra work for mounting and tje costs of the jerry cans compared to an extra tank or drum in the back seems odd to me. Especially for the amount of fuel you can carry in an exta tank or drum compared to five or ten extra jerry cans. I know everybody has their own preferences for what they like, which makes all of our trucks unique in their own way. I keep a 55 gallon drum in the back for wmo and such standing upright up front by the cab secured by ratchet straps. It blue and ugly but one of these days I'll paint it to match my truck.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have two can mounts on my rear mud flaps and I added a hinged one to the passenger side. I carry gas for the generator in the left running board factory location, fuel (diesel, waste oil, whatever) on the right side, water and my jerry can tool box in the back. The tool box and water are always carried, the gas and truck fuel are only carried if I'm doing a longer trip.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some of us have tanks in the back as well, but I cant carry that very far. Most of my fuel cans are empty, but if I need to transport fuel . . . cans are good to haul along.
Most of the time we pull a trailer w/ tanks on it, . . . the tanks in the bed are too small ;)

Diecorpse

I never thought of a generator mounted on the truck. . . . hmmm interesting. . . . I suppose my woman would like to know why I didn't put new tires on the car lol. That is a great idea, especially for camping and hunting with the family or the buddies!

Diecorpse

I think if I buy a generator for the truck, I think I would get one that canprovide 3000 watts or more for most uses. These trucks are your average handy mans best friend! I knew a general contractor who shopped at Menards and he hauled more on that thinv than most guys with their diesel trucks with twenty foot trailers.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 90 dollar Harbor Freight generator that I painted to match the truck and strap to a tray I installed behind the bumper next to the winch. It is strong enough to power the microwave in my pick up camper and will run a blender for desert trips. It's official main use is to run a battery charger in case I need to charge up a dead battery. I've used it 4-5 times for that, but never for the deuce, always for someone else.

Diecorpse

Well it's always nice to lend a helping hand. I always believed helping others creares good fortune in the future, sometimes there's that situation you're in and you need help, and long behold someone stops to help.

Diecorpse

I was wondering, looking at the photo of the Deuce with flat tires after being rear ended, if anyone mounted or thought of a rear bumper that hangs low enough to stop a vehicle from going under the bed of the truck? I know thats why most semi trailers have low profile bumpers so cars don't go under them. I would think a heavy duty bumper could be made to with stand a heavy impact. Not sure if it's a good idea or not.

Diecorpse

My uncle gave me an idea about a rear bumper. His idea was to use 1" thich steel bar thats 12" wide and 8' long welded on two pieces of 1" thick by 4" wide and 1 1/2' long that bolts on the bumperettes. At least it can be removed but not sure if it will pass any kind of inspection. I figured having something there to protect my rear and to keep vehicles from going under it. I know it has it's pro's and con's but maybe it will give me something to do next summer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks