• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Main Seals

cobra5

Are there any new production seals being manufactured at this time? I'd hate to go through the work of changing the seal only to have it leak because the NOS seal I put in there is over 10 years old.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes

At Haspin three years ago a member had the seal start leaking and they actually got it at the local (20 miles away) auto parts store.

Just use the part number.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
So either of these part numbers, 10951177 or 476801HAR, will work?
Listings indicate
Rear main oil seal for the LD-465, LDT-465, and LDS-465 engines used in the M35 and M54 series trucks.
P/N 10951177, 476801HAR, ER5248, 46839. NSN 5330009180595.
[h=1]Engine Rear Main Seal For M35 & M54 (Multifuel Engine), 10951177[/h]I think it is cool that is was found at the local auto parts store 3 years ago. Was it 50 bucks then?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not ask the vendor of the items age?

The seal is a standard seal available at any place that sells seals(industrial or automotive).

cobra5

Why not ask the vendor of the items age?

The seal is a standard seal available at any place that sells seals(industrial or automotive).
Already asked a vendor and if its available at any other place than it must be under a different part number because I haven't found it anywhere else. This must be why $50 bucks is the going rate.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I fully agree. Specs are: 5.000" Shaft; 6.001" Bore; 0.50" Width, fully encased, nitrile (or better fluoroelastomer).

Why take the risk to buy outdated NOS seals if you can have the same, "factory fresh" from Timken (#415725) or SKF (#49929 or better #49927)

G.

cobra5

I fully agree. Specs are: 5.000" Shaft; 6.001" Bore; 0.50" Width, fully encased, nitrile (or better fluoroelastomer).

Why take the risk to buy outdated NOS seals if you can have the same, "factory fresh" from Timken (#415725) or SKF (#49929 or better #49927)

G.
Thanks this is what I need to know. As far as surplus seals, the only issue is how they are being stored. The shelf life on these type of seals is 15 years but can be longer if stored properly. However, a new seal can fail just as fast as a NOS seal.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

G.

Thank you G.

I knew if we posted long enough you would post something. :)

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That must be some darn good seal....

https://www.motionindustries.com/productDetail.jsp?sku=01306131

General Information
Type of Product:Oil Seal - Inches
Shaft or Inside Diameter Range:5 in
Bore or Outside Diameter:6.001 in
Width:1/2 in
Lip Material:Fluoro Rubber - V
Construction Description:Dual Lip, Spring Loaded With Inner Case
Typical Application:Recommended Where Assembly Of Shaft Is Against The Lip.
Continuous Temperature Range:-40 To 400°F
Maximum Shaft Surface Speed:3,600 FPM
Misalignment Tolerance:Size Dependent "Refer To The 457010 Catalog"
Additional Detail:Metal Cased With Heavy Duty Inner Case, Spring-Loaded, Single-Lip For Sealing With Auxiliary Dirt/Dust Lip ("Double-Lip") With Industry-Leading Hydrodynamic Waveseal.
Synonym:Radial Lip Shaft Seal For Oil Or Grease; Barrier;
Type / Style Construction:CRWHA1
Weight Ea. (Lbs.):0.529
Pressure Tolerance:10 PSI @ 0-1000 FPM
Catalog Type:Oil Seal - Inches
Type Series:5 in
Catalog Feature 1:Viton
Feature:• CRWHA1 - Seal with steel shell, Bore-Tite coated outside diameter, secondary shell (also steel), hydrodynamically formed Waveseal lip, carbon steel garter spring and non-rubbing secondary lip • Boretite coating contains rubberized OD bore sealant that fills small imperfections in the bore • Molded smooth lip provides 20% less frictional torque (drag) with 25% to 35% less heat generation resulting in power savings and a reduction of the possibility of early failure • Bi-rotational wave lip eli

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks