• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rebuilding after 15 years of storage

87cr250r

They take compression set and you can't retorque them with the fuel lines installed. They will leak.

Also, the rails on the valve cover are too flimsy to properly seal on a gasket.

These engines came from the factory with silicone sealant on the oil pan and valve covers. The timing cover uses anaerobic gasket maker. It's quite a good system they used.

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking great! Looks like they put main bearing studs in, is that a girdle too? Do you know where the builder obtained that?
Yes it is a DSG Main Stud Girdle
I dont know where he obtain the parts, we just talked about improvements we want.
But i know a lot of parts was backordered, so that it was not safe that we got the engine back this year

I will ask him about his source if we pick up the engine.

87cr250r

I had to put Taiwan made rod bearings in my engine because so much is backordered. I was able to get OEM piston rings from eBay. I reused the old pistons.

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to put Taiwan made rod bearings in my engine because so much is backordered. I was able to get OEM piston rings from eBay. I reused the old pistons.
We have not any Taiwan bearings on our Truck
Only Timken or SKF
The Enginebuilder know we dont want any Taiwan bearing inside, so we wait...
We couldnt reuse anything of the old parts. Just only the block is used and the oilpan. All other systens are new.
If the old parts inside still in the specs there is no need to exchange except the worn parts
We have now a pretty nice assortment of engine parts to make nice gifts of them 😅

The same on the TC - we still wait on one bearing, our complete order still wait on shipping as sending a part of them is much more expensive than just wait a while

We go on with other timeconsuming jobs
Also the Troop seats wait for finish
We need just still the Detent pins shipping delay now a week after first ETA
and a little bit art works for the catching tapes in stainless steel

20221215_095020.jpg

we heated our shop now as it becomes to cold with 14F since 14 days but just as we start heating the temperature increase back to 53F in just 2 days
Really annoying situation but it bring us again to got the clamps painted

20221220_132830 (2).jpg

The shop is heated on 50F during no one is in
We will see tomorrow if it worked - paint shall not be done below 50F
Picture is done just after paint

At Christmas time the mail order/shipping business is overloaded and in addition we have a high level of sick leave at work due to massive respiratory infections. A lot of companies are running on "emergency mode" because the employees are missing.

And if we are bored 😂 - we continue on the Sierra

87cr250r

It's interesting if you consider what bearing manufacturers specialize in. SKF started with spherical roller bearings and ball bearings. Timken was tapered roller bearings. Torrington did needle bearings. Chicago Rawhide started rubber lip seals. There has been munch conglomeration since but Timken and SKF never specialized in the journal bearings found inside our engines. I wouldn't buy journals bearings from either of those manufacturers. Clevite, Federal Mogul, King, and Mahle are OEM suppliers for journal bearings though I think the Mahle bearings are Taiwan or Brazil for origin.

Something to note, I work with large gearboxes and in the last 10 years SKF has moved their spherical roller bearings production to India.

I would look for aluminum silicon alloy bearings, they seem to be the most compatible with the cast iron cranks. I think the current 6.5 engines use aluminum silicon on the mains and lead tin copper on the rods but I may have that reversed.

Man, I did everything I could to catch COVID for years and I finally did after the mandatory COVID time off got dropped. 😐

Last edited:

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On Enginebearings and internals i trust in the expierence of the enginebuilder, i only said no cheap taiwan solution only reliable brands also if it make more costs.
Usually had as answer there exist reliable brands but the most customer dont want pay that

I talk about the bearings on suspension and chassis not on engine parts.
We gave all of them in the hands of experts to have a bill of valuable remanufactoring. We could do ourself but this will not gave the same value/warranty at least if you go on in a complete oldtimes restoration and renew. The value is dependent on the prooved job and material. We do it as investment not just only to have the truck on the road.
We have for all steps a documentation and bills

The small scene of MV lovers in Germany has already noticed what we are building and I have already had requests to buy. But no one will want to pay what it cost in the end. Time will increase the value. The more original MV disappear, the higher the value of those that are preserved in very good condition.
Currently the purchase price for an M1008 with 2 years technical inspection and good used condition in Germany (the usual like rust, destroyed benchcover, dashboard, 6.2 engine and TH400/NP208, mileage about 50000 miles and several civilian previous owners) is now on 25000 Euro

Ours is special - we are the first and only civilian owner since 1996 and nothing is touched from the original wiring or setup. All what we do additional is possible to undo.

Our final working Truck will be the Sierra

And we did everything not to catch covid until now sucessful. No need to have this experience.
We stay like Hermits just going for work or in the shop working on the Truck - not going out anywhere spare a lot of money for Truck Parts 🥳

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finished today mounting the airhorns and markerlights on the Lightbar
New working headlight also arrived and installed
It was a challenge to find fitting one in old style
The old ones are from Bosch but not more available new. I can purchase used one in the same condition like ours for a price which are not worth it

20221221_101356.jpg
left new, right the old one

20221222_131414 (2).jpg

20221222_122937.jpg

20221222_122826 (2).jpg

20221222_131325 (2).jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The old ones are from Bosch but not more available new. I can purchase used one in the same condition like ours for a price which are not worth it

View attachment 886766

View attachment 886771

View attachment 886768

View attachment 886770

View attachment 886772
PHOENIX-GER ,

Could you share a little more information on the air horns?
They sure look pretty impressive.
Guessing a nice deep "fog horn" sound?

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
PHOENIX-GER ,

Could you share a little more information on the air horns?
They sure look pretty impressive.
Guessing a nice deep "fog horn" sound?
this are very old horns - bought them in 1992 from a Truck supplier for another project
They was not used for that and so stayed in store until we got the Chevy in 1996
Funnel length is 73 cm = 28,74 inch

Today you find similar by Hadley

Unfortunately i have no audio of that horns
Here is the audio of Hadley - nearly similar to our Audio Hadley
I think it is not so deep like fog horn - but loud and impressive enough

We have no allow to use airhorns in cities in Germany... thats why we have a switch for the horn

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
this are very old horns - bought them in 1992 from a Truck supplier for another project
They was not used for that and so stayed in store until we got the Chevy in 1996
Funnel length is 73 cm = 28,74 inch

Today you find similar by Hadley

Unfortunately i have no audio of that horns
Here is the audio of Hadley - nearly similar to our Audio Hadley
I think it is not so deep like fog horn - but loud and impressive enough

We have no allow to use airhorns in cities in Germany... thats why we have a switch for the horn
Thank You!!

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 886766

View attachment 886771

View attachment 886768

View attachment 886770

View attachment 886772
Those fat roll bars look great ! Hadnt seen any of them in years had em when we were kids with big yellow KC vinyl covers on the big round KC daylighters !

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like to have a good view in the night, thats why they run also on 24V with the max allow 70W bulbs in Germany as the original German headlights of the CUCV arn´t very good in that case
They are also usefull if you work outside by night
Cant remember how much i use them just to lighten the area i am working
All 4 Hellas on the Bar are Highbeam
The two in the Brushguard are Foglights

We renewed now the complete lightning around the truck in the restoration process

imm-023z.jpg

The two in the rear bumper are also Foglights

20221029_142832z.jpg

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally after sending the wrong foglights with chrome frame :sick: does the black one arrived last week
Now all Lights are complete new

20221227_085526 (2).jpg

Left the new Hella and right the old Bosch

While we are still waiting for parts for the Chevy, the removal of the Sierra's drivetrain is complete.

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The detent-pins in stainless steel arrived today

20221228_174721 (3).jpg

it is possible that the head ist to big and we need to adapt them
This was the only pins i could got with the specs fitting for the troop seats
We will use two of them on every seat - not just one

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Through our good friends from the netherlands we were able to close another deal today. Our M1008 will be completed by a M1102 trailer from 1990 - so history registration for complete Truck and Trailer is no problem
Thus we need then nevertheless still the Rockinger hook coupling and maybe the Rockinger towing eyelet if the one from NL roadapproval will not accepted in Germany
Original towing eyelet of the trailer and the original military hook will never get road approval in Germany
We will pick up the trailer next week

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks