• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recap on "cold weather starting"

10MMGUNNER

My real test of my m923 a1 will be in january when it hits 20 below. I wont want to start it but i will. I dont think i will need starting fluid but it will have to be pluged in 24 / 7 .

KaiserM109

You guys have convinced me that a block heater is a good thing. Can you recommend a source? I'm going to TX in late Dec. to retrieve my M923A1 with an NHC-250 and want to cover all bases.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like I have said in the other cold weather starting threads steer away from the magnetic heaters from KAT's.

2mtrucks

Kat 30101 replaces factory NHC250 inspection plates found on the passenger (right hand) side of the block. There are two plates, one to the rear of the motor and one roughly in the center...each attached with 6 bolts. The one in the center is the easiest to access. Kat recommends gasket sealer in addition to the gasket they provide. Make sure you use the gasket sealer and make sure you have the nut that holds the element to the plate tight or it will leak where the element threads through the plate. It can be tightened once the plate is installed but you have to be careful. By the way, there is a thread somewhere in this forum that depicts the installation site(s). I got my heater from NAPA for $71.00 but you can probably find it for less. This truck holds 47 qts. of coolant so have a couple of buckets ready. And don't plug in the heater until you have driven the truck with all the coolant back in and are certain that it has properly circulated. The lifespan of a block heater that is energized in an air pocket is about 5 seconds.

Last edited:

162tcat

I purchased a zerostart brand block heater that I will be installing soon, I'll post a part number later tonight. It is the type that replaces the inspection plate as mentioned above.
My NHC 250 seems to start ok though, it was 19 degrees the other morning and she started after about 30 seconds with no additional assistance.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know the 250 well but learning about my 1693 Cat. Up here we seem to be more concerned about oil moving in the motor then anything else. In the old days we'd just plug in the block heater on the gas jobs and they would usually fire up with the lifters hammering for a few minutes. Maybe we thought engines were dispensable but I always wanted to know what the 'best' starting scenarios are for all engines. Sure they may start but what is the best way to get the least internal wear on a cold start. We see -30c once in a while and 10/30w oil doesn't move at those temps.

Is there any concern with oil moving upstairs in the bigger diesels at the temps you're dealing with?

Does heating the oil pan alone help a big diesel start ?

Not sure how much heat a block heater really delivers to an engine so just thinking outloud on warming up the oil and what is best.

Wrecker king

I don't know the 250 well but learning about my 1693 Cat. Up here we seem to be more concerned about oil moving in the motor then anything else. In the old days we'd just plug in the block heater on the gas jobs and they would usually fire up with the lifters hammering for a few minutes. Maybe we thought engines were dispensable but I always wanted to know what the 'best' starting scenarios are for all engines. Sure they may start but what is the best way to get the least internal wear on a cold start. We see -30c once in a while and 10/30w oil doesn't move at those temps.

Is there any concern with oil moving upstairs in the bigger diesels at the temps you're dealing with?

Does heating the oil pan alone help a big diesel start ?

Not sure how much heat a block heater really delivers to an engine so just thinking outloud on warming up the oil and what is best.

In the WWII TM's, they state to drain the oil after shut down (with the temps you are talking about) and warm it up and dump it back in before start up. When they were building the ALCAN highway, they ended up keeping their vehicles running all the time during the winter.

AMGeneral

I know at any temp below 40 deg F,my M816 just would not start without slaving/charging the batteries,and that was running 2 ea 8D size batteries.

To my knowledge it never had a functioning "glow plug" in the intake untill I sold it, and the one time I actually used it,it didn't seem to work all that well.

Even after the IP was rebuilt and new injectors installed,all it ever did was make mass quantites of white smoke while trying to start it in cold weather.

My expierence with the 673 Mack engine in cold weather however,has been all positive.

At 20 degrees Monday morning,with somewhat discharged batteries,the M51A1 dump started within 10 engine rotations with no flame heater assistance.

Last edited:
Today I got some batteries for my truck, put them in and it fired right up. Since I work at a large truck dealership I was able to get 2 large truck batteries for free. I searched through the shops batterie core pile and tested about 30 batteries to see if I could find 2 good ones and I did. Free is always better right?

2mtrucks

Today I got some batteries for my truck, put them in and it fired right up. Since I work at a large truck dealership I was able to get 2 large truck batteries for free. I searched through the shops batterie core pile and tested about 30 batteries to see if I could find 2 good ones and I did. Free is always better right?
For sure...especially for what batteries cost now. I always figured there are a couple of good batteries in a skid of cores. I need to do the same where I work.

Desertrun

Have a M931A2 with a 240, What block heater do you recommend. Was 15 below last night. Sounds like a project for Christmas break.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You can put air line alcohol directly into the air dryer by removing the desiccant cartridge on top and dumping it in and you can drain the tanks and use some compressed air to put some in the tanks thru the drain cocks.

Triple C

On a block heater, I suggest you do a search, there are a couple of good threads with pics that cover the issue pretty thoroughly. A really good investment for sure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks