• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recommendation for 802a battery maintainer

Morrow1

Hey,
Just looking for a simple maintainer for now. Looks like the noco are made in USA which I like. Can anyone recommend one from that brand, and does it need to be 24v? Thanks!

Jeepadict

There's been a few posts/threads in the last year about such a venture. Yes, NOCO makes good stuff. No, it doesn't have to be 24v...if you're going to the slave receptacle then it needs to be 24v (but they're pricy)...12v 2-bank (one to each battery) seems to be the crowd favorite.

Here's my 802 thread, post #14 is the point of interest for your question: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/another-802a-thread-but-finally-its-my-802.202287/

Here's the 2-bank charger that myself and a few of the boys have employed. Seems the most popular mounting location is on the inner bulkhead adjacent to the dead crank switch: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08F37P7H3?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I'm sure a couple other fellas will chime in on how they skinned this cat.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey,
Just looking for a simple maintainer for now. Looks like the noco are made in USA which I like. Can anyone recommend one from that brand, and does it need to be 24v? Thanks!
2 of these one on each battery they also make a 24 V 1 you can put through the Nato plug I've had excellent results.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

FloridaAKM

For years, I had to keep up monthly charging to my trucks & generators to make sure they will always start. Last month, I checked the solarizer that came on the Deuce & it was no longer working as the ledge on the mobile shop was covering the solar cell from direct sunlight. After changing the wires & location of the array, the solar cell proved to have gone bad.

Since I had a few new solarizers in the boxes, I replace the one on the Deuce & added a new one on the M-1081 LMTV. The defective one that was originally on the Deuce, got a solar cell array of its own from an old solar light that had ceased to function & was installed on the newest Deuce. All this work eliminated the battery problems on all three trucks & shows 25.4v on all battery's when checked.

Floridanson gave me a solarizer that a rat ate the wires off of & I replaced the wires & solar cell & attached it to a spare generator 24v battery to keep it hot if needed. The last units I bought were cheap, & the best prices now are $100.00 & according to the company, they are no longer made.

Chainbreaker

I have several of the BatteryMinder 1510 models referenced above and like them a lot. I would recommend using independant 12VDC chargers versus using a single 24VDC charger. If one battery is less efficient due to being an older battery, mfg differences, or for whatever reason... each battery gets what it needs charge-wise independent of the other battery.

However, the new model Noco that will charge two 12V batteries is what I plan to buy in the future. Having a single 120 VAC cord is less cords to deal with and NOCO has a very good reputation. Here is a link to LITD's thread on this new charger offering.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have also used the NOCO 2700 For 24 V on an M92382 through the nato plug, work good.
But also as noted you have to be aware of the 1 battery (out of 4) that has the least amount of use and rotate and double check them every other week
Also 24v Battery minder on a m803a generator through nato plug also

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

csheath

I fire mine up and run it at a 40 amp load for an hour each month. So far that has kept the two walmart lawn tractor batteries up to snuff.

jmenende

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a battery tender 24v maintainer and a batteries plus branded 24v charger and maint. I lije the batteries plus better and it was 120 bucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks