• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovering Sarge's SPGRSMD

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rubber hinges??? :roll: I'll bet that is what the strap is for then, rubber and the Texas sun don't seem to get along, and I noted that the rubber seals on the sides were pretty trashed.

54reo

Just get up on top of the trailer and you will see what I am talking about. You will be able to inspect the hinge material from there.

I was able to source some belted 1/8" material to replace the original stuff.

The original is not belted.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks 54. Belted sounds stronger and longer lasting.

The good thing is that a couple of big truck barns are about to go up, one on Sarge's place and one on mine, to get everything out of the sun, so new hinges should last. Very appropriately, we are using an old deuce auger truck to put the support poles in.

I still can't figure out how to correct the thread title. What am I missing? It has to be easy, but I am a computer moron so....

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M35A3 seatbelts

I put the stuff about the A3 deuce back into the original post. Here are a few more shots of the M35A3 seat belt installation. Looks to me to be a standard cab strengthening plate with the seat belt stuff bolted to it. Correct?

I definitely would like to put a set in my M813 since my kids ride in there. I am paranoid about them, or someone else, hitting their faces on the dash if a collision happened. If anyone knows where to get a takeout set, or a kit for a retrofit, I'm interested.

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the shop trailer as of today. The rear door is back in place (it had a hinge broken off) and the flap thingy under the back end is now straightened out. Trailer is lockable again, so the tools in it should stay there, or at least be a lot harder to steal.

And I took a close up of the air tank for you MilitaryRestoration.

I still can't figure out how to correct the thread title. Anyone??

Cheers

Attachments

54reo

Thread title cannot be changed if someone responds to it.

Do you have the canvas sides to the trailer?

It should be 5 pieces.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ahhh! Thanks 54, so the title shall remain in perpetuity as a monument to my failings as a proofreader... :oops:

Doesn't look like the canvas is in it, but there is stuff stacked 4' deep in the front half of the trailer. The canvas could possibly be in/under all that lot. We'll see in the near future, maybe when we try opening the sides up (providing the hinges check out okay first!).

Cheers

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
54reo, I will thank you again for the timely warning on the top hinges. Shortly after reading that, we got on top of the trailer and found the hinges were next best thing to gone, no way they could have supported the bat wings. Had we opened the sides, they would have parted company with the rest of the trailer in very short order! I am going to take your word for it that such things are an unpleasant experience...:-D

Cheers

54reo

No problem on the hinges...

In my haste to open the first trailer last year, we almost lost the curb side batwing. Luckily, the front came out first and we were able to guide it back into position and lower the side.

Have fun changing them though!

To anyone out there that comes into ownership of one of these, whether truck or trailer mounted, the hinges should be inspected PRIOR to trying to open the sides. Even opening the side a little (as in just a couple of inches) will be enough to unload the top of the batwing from the upper section of the roof. The side WILL come off and hit the ground!

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Old trucks can definitely bite you!

Ks, no, I haven't found the seatbelt setup yet, still looking. I did get a cab strengthening plate from Dabtl though, that's a start.

Cheers

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks