• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovery? Lost...... or Stolen from Ft. Indiantown Gap PA.

frodobaggins

It's too bad you haven't learned to use Google! Google It's spelled both ways! Although "challenger" is usually a verb and not a noun. The US space shuttle was named "Challanger", the British tank is named "Challanger" AND the Dodge automobile that I OWN is named "Challanger"! And that's just to name a few obvious examples!

LOL, you can't be serious. The shuttle and the tank are spelled "Challenger". rofl

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back on topic - when will GL be fixed?

Anyone want to place bets?

I'll take never.

goldneagle

Hey guys, let's put this in hold. I think I can get some pretty straight answers. My daughter is a practicing attorney and a very very good one (as lawyers go!) She also used to work in the 82nd Airborne's JAG office in Ft. Bragg so she knows how the military legal system works. I'll give her a call and she what she thinks.
Now you're talking! At least now it will be legal advice instead of guessing.:grd:

bassetdeuce

Guys Really good job going COMPLETELY off topic.
Meh, it was gettin hot in here fire fighter. Needed distraction ;).

I think very visible cameras, fake or real would deter some of this theft at the various sites. Also, a big scary sign stating theft of govt property is a federal crime punishable by ... Who knows?

militarysteel

here is the reality, you are basically buying scrap junk, GL could care less about this site... or these people belly aching, To GL and the Government, the crap you bought is junk.

You should have had your 818 shipped, Shame on you for for making your dad and wife apart of this.
what is in DRMO is mainly parts trucks, anyone on base can come and take what ever they want off the piece of junk you just bought, stop pointing your fat finger and anyone but your self for buying junk from the beginning.

for you and anyone else, if you want a decent truck, Buy from someone other then GL, Let the wholesalers bite the bullet and buy in bulk, it means no hassle, for your and a truck that is worth your time and money, Title, and no EUC 4 u.

papercu

As it now stands, we ALL pay for the lack of security at GL.
Nope, all you are hearing from are the few that lose something. Most don't.
What good is a "cure" if it kills the patient? Wayne

Last edited:
Reactions: DUG

watkinssr

here is the reality, you are basically buying scrap junk,
No, they actually sell scrap junk. they have seperated out these vehicles because they know they are worth more than their weight in scrap iron. If they considered it scrap junk, they would just sell them for scrap weight...it would cost them less.
GL could care less about this site... or these people belly aching, To GL and the Government, the crap you bought is junk.
They could care less because they have no reason to. GL and the government makes a lot of money off of people buying these vehicles as vehicles, not junk. You think they are doing it because they are bored?

I hate the argument "if we complain, then they will do x"...Nonsense.

I haven't bought at an auction, but It really doesn't matter to me if I bought a mint blazer that someone stole a spare tire out of, or a bucket of scrap brass that someone stole a handful out of. It's my property, and if it's been stolen someone should be held acountable.

jollyroger

OK. Here's where I'm at just to recap.

Proly not someone from SS that stole stuff. Could have been base personelle. Someone should be held accountable. I should contact the base CO. The term Bailment and it's definition (Good Point BTW). I should NOT contact the base CO. I should contact my congressional rep thingy. There should be more security at the GL sites. Changes cost us all money. Someone has lived on more military bases than someone else. I am a jerk for getting my Dad and Girlfriend involved in all of this. These trucks are junk and therefore free game with respect to pillage. Theft is theft and it makes us all mad.

So. militarysteel. I vehemently disagree with your opinion.

First of all I would get 50 lashes from my Dad and Girlfriend if I did not take them on this grand adventure. I apreciate all their help for sure. However, I waited two extra weeks to leave BECAUSE they were not able to go earlier. My Mom has missed the last two recoveries because she volunteered to hold down the farm and I am not hearing the end of that BECAUSE she want's to go too. That's why we all get along so well. We all enjoy the adventure and each others company.

Shipping......I will not go into the details ad nausium but...... I researched for a month and It ranged from $5000-$8000+ for Towing company, OTR truck or rail. Just not a logical choice if I am able to recover the truck myself. Just sayin.

I got a great truck and for an awesome price. I am NOT "belly achin'" about that. Forfeting the truck over the items that were taken would have been and is now rediculous considering what I got.

This truck is not junk or scrap. Those items are sold as such on GL.

Wholesalers are not buying these trucks in bulk from GL. GL does not package them that way. They are sold individually. Not as a fleet liquidation as a count of 10 or 20 or 100 in a lot. They are also not being sold as scrap like the term contracts for scrap metals.

I have no problem with doing the leg work for the EUC and the SF97. Why would I buy a truck for $7500 from a guy when I can buy the same truck for a third the price with some legwork envolved. Is all that legwork worth $5000 to me. Not at all.

I fully understand the risks I am taking with buying a truck from GL and this includes the theft problem. Just because I am aware that this is possible does not mean I am willing to turn a blind eye to it. Apathy in the form of accepting responsibility for someone elses wrong doing just because I am aware it is possible is just not acceptable.

Furthermore I will point my "fat finger" at whomever I please. There is no need to lecure me about what I am buying and where like you are trying to be my dad. Those shoes are already filled and I don't think you would fit into them anyway.

NONE of this was the topic of my post.

My point was things were not on my truck when I picked it up that should have been on the truck like when I bought it. If I had bought the truck this way I would have brought spares with me to fix it. It created difficulties for me on down the line for the trip home. Whoever took the stuff should suffer a miserable fate similar to the one they caused. I wanted to make us all aware that this happens and WE as SS members should make sure WE do what WE can to prevent this from happening.

hdexpert

Hey Jollyroger, I feel your pain. I picked my truck up a few months ago from Ft Indiantown Gap and it was missing a few gauges. I know, not a big deal but it still sucked!!

jollyroger

Hey Jollyroger, I feel your pain. I picked my truck up a few months ago from Ft Indiantown Gap and it was missing a few gauges. I know, not a big deal but it still sucked!!
See. This is what I'm talking about. Communication about the issue. If I had a heads up about missing parts from other people that bought stuff from there I would have had my guard up more and been more prepared. If this is an epidemic from any location or locations WE as SS members need to know going in to buying something from that location.

We may not be able to change GL or want to change GL. However we should want to know how to maneuver through the minefields. Those of us that have experiences good or bad need to speak up and let others know.

So far I have had this problem at Ft. Indiantown Gap and I had an M105 tailgate come up missing at Ft. Riley. It was in the pictures but gone when we recieved the goods. My choice was to forfiet or take it the way it was. The GL rep was nice about it but that does not make it right. I already drove 500 miles and had the trailers loaded.

French Camp CA. Great experience. GL rep Shawna is a great lady and bent over backwards to help me. Ft. Carson. Close to home and Glenn and Jerod are great guys and always take care of me. Gurnsey WY. Remote location with no help. Glenn from Ft.Carson was the rep for them and got me some help in 15 degrees below zero weather. Lockbourne OH. One of two GL warehouses. I did not know this till we got there. The other one is in OK City. All the staff at Lockbourne went out of their way to help and were really super people to work with.

hdexpert

I deal with Lockbourne quite often and live 15 miles from there. They used to be horrible about loosing your lot or giving you the wrong stuff. They are under new managment and things have gotten better, but still have room for improvement. I'll be picking a lot up there on 5/21 and will let you know how it goes.

jollyroger

We were a couple days out and needed to change our scheduled pickup time at Lockbourne by a day because we had brake problems on the trailer and were delayed. They accomodated our reschedule. Also when we got there the lady in the office said they were under new management by a year and that she used to hate to come to work. Now she really likes the new system and the job. The forklift guys were on the spot and helped us with loading two flat long pallets under the tractor. Very accomodating. I hope you have the same experience.

Dodge man

OK I talked to my daughter the lawyer this morning. FWIW she was one of the top people in her class at one of the best law schools in the country and was also editor and chief of the Law Review all three years she was there. If you know anyone in law school you know what a big deal that is. She also worked full time for a federal judge in Tampa for a year and now they're trying to hire her back as a permanent full time legal assistant. She's now a corporate lawyer at Holland and Knight, one of the biggest law firms in the country. She also used to work in the JAG office at Ft. Bragg. I started off by asking her about how they treated theft on Ft. Bragg and she said they take it very seriously and they she did sit in on a couple of courts-martials for theft while she was there. She said that a lot of people get kicked out of the service for what we civilians consider "minor" theft. Besides the issues of moral turpitude and the security of classified and sensitive material she also brought up the fact that since so many people live so closely together and must be able to depend on each other even in situations involving life or death that the services must have people that can be trusted.

In a nutshell, she agreed with my advice that you should report any theft to the military police and/or base commander and if that doesn't get results then you should complain to your congress critters since they oversee the military and how it disposes of property. She also said that the buyers may have agreed to certain conditions or restrictions concerning the property in their purchase agreements. But since I've never bought anything from GL I don't know if there are any such restrictions so READ your contracts closely BEFORE you sign them!

Just out of curiosity I asked her about GL's claim that you can only sue them in AZ. Particularly since they have employees and offices and sell items (conduct business) in many other states. But she said that the courts usually do uphold those requirements. So if you're considering suing them it looks like you'll have to go to Az to do it.

She also agreed with the statement that someone made here that a Bailment does exist when you turn over your money to GL and that they do have the requirement to safeguard YOUR property until you take possession of it. EVEN if you have a third party transport it to you. However be prepared to PROVE that the third party isn't the one that is actually responsible for any theft. However there are different standards of care that are to be expected under the various conditions of bailment and I didn't have time to go into the details. BUT IMHO GL should be expected to be held to the highest level of care. Wikipedia says: "For consideration vs. gratuitous. If a person agrees to accept a fee or other good consideration for holding possession of goods, they are generally held to a higher standard of care than a person who is doing so without being paid (or receives no benefit)."

In fact, there is also a bailment between the owning service and GL before the sale so GL is responsible for the security of the property then and should not allow anyone to be taking parts unless that are specifically and officially allowed to do so by the "owner". But you as the buyer probably have little recourse if the previous owner (the service) fails to enforce it. But that's where the base commanders and/or congress comes in. If they get enough complaints then they'll have to enforce the Bailment on GL.

Wikipedia has a pretty good description of Bailment and it's varying levels of care and a plaintiff's recourse if you're interested in learning more. Bailment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So there it is. Go file some theft reports and let's see what happens! [thumbzup]

As for the ones of you that keep crying "oh but they'll ban me for life" or "they'll just stop selling to individuals" all I can say is I wonder why you're so dead set against seeing something done about the theft problem. If YOU'RE happy with things being stolen out of your trucks then don't file a report but don't try to convince others not to. Or is there some reason that you want to see the theft continue??

shannondeese

When I picked up my last deuce someone had taken my tailgate and my fuel gage. I was pretty upset. Tim at Barstow was nice enough to take a tail gate off of a truck that had not come up for auction yet and even put it on for me while I went to lunch. I had to buy a fuel gage but that was really minor.

militarysteel

Dealing with GL in general can be a major pain in the a@@, after you add up your time, shipping, fuel, food, hotel, hassle, waiting 16%, only to get there to find some DB stole gages, wipers, tire, alternator,
and the GL person says, AS-IS, o well, sometimes they use a picture that is not even what you are buying, they are too lazy to go take separate pics.

buying from anywhere else then GL may be a little more , but it has to be a much better way to go. sewing GL would be a total loss at your already lost expense.

DRMO, GL, GL Employee, anyone associated - other then you the buyer sees it all as old junk trash in the way. you may not like that, but its the way they think. GL wants to move move move all that out, make way for more junk to sell.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks