• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovery of 2 M101A2's with 1 Dodge pickup.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
Any issues with the lights hitting the ground during the tilt? it is hard to tell from the photo, but it looks close.

I have two M101s I need to recover and your idea may just be the way I do it.
had 1/2" to 3/4" to spare. trailer touched down on shackles just before lights.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
i figured two were going for just a little more than one so why not, from what i've seen these going for and as good as shape as these are in i can probably make what i payed for both off the one i'm selling. hopefully:grin:

TexAndy

once they were stacked they towed great, didn't really even know they were back there. the surge brakes worked great, they didn't push me at all while stopping. i wouldn't think a 1/2 ton would have any problem.

Did you mean WITHOUT a forklift?

Sorry, meant to say 105s. The big ones. 5600 pounds or something for the two of them. Weight balancing wasn't such an issue, but the height of the trailers vs the truck was.

appalacious

Thread resurrect.....

Can you suggest the heavy equipment shop that you used? How close were they to the base? (looks like Redstone, kinda)
J

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
Thread resurrect.....

Can you suggest the heavy equipment shop that you used? How close were they to the base? (looks like Redstone, kinda)
J

well, when i said heavy equipment i mean there were a few 18 wheelers and i think a dump truck there and i saw the forklift so i stopped to see if they could help. I think they were acctually like a dumpster company or something. It was redstone and i'm not sure how far they were from base but if i had it to do over again i would not want to go as far as i did to find them.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have wonder if the problem you had with towing two, was the lack of weight at the tongue of the first trailer, causing it to "wag" easily which of course set the rear trailer out of control.

Whatever the tongue weight is of the second trailer, I would put that same amount of weight, and maybe a bit more ahead of the axle in the first trailer.
:ditto:

They will tow one behind the other fine if you put about 300/400 lbs in the front of the front trailer.

Disclaimer- Don't ask me how I know this and I do not endorse towing them like this. ;-)

Beach Cruiser

Well, I picked up my two trailers and made it home with no issues. They both fit great on the 20 ft trailer. I used 4 chains to anchor them down and they didn't move after 250 miles. Thanks for all the help and I look forward to seeing you all around this forum!:beer:

I will need to pick up three M105's soon and intend to haul them on a flatbed trailer with dovetail. GL says they will not help load - sooooo, Beach Cruiser, DavidB and 86m1028, how'd you get the military trailers up on your civi trailers (winch I assume)? Any tips on loading them on the trailer? Tongue or rear loaded first? Once the first is on, tips on winching on second, then third? Hook all three together and winch all three on in one fell swoop? This will be my first trailer recovery so just trying to work out the logistics in advance.

Beach Cruiser

I will need to pick up three M105's soon and intend to haul them on a flatbed trailer with dovetail. GL says they will not help load - sooooo, Beach Cruiser, DavidB and 86m1028, how'd you get the military trailers up on your civi trailers (winch I assume)? Any tips on loading them on the trailer? Tongue or rear loaded first? Once the first is on, tips on winching on second, then third? Hook all three together and winch all three on in one fell swoop? This will be my first trailer recovery so just trying to work out the logistics in advance.
The folks w/GL at Ft. Polk were very nice and helpful. The lady swooped up my trailers with a forklift and set them on the trailer for me. She pointed out how most people chain them down so I had somewhat of a clue of what to do. It literally took her 5 minutes to help me.

I was hoping for something similar with mine. Unfortunately for me, the nice lady at Hooks said no go - they will not help load trailers. She said regs prohibit them from using forklifts on them? Oh well, if anyone has any tips on getting three M105's onto a flatbed trailer (without a forklift) I'm all ears!

I could go get them one at a time, but it's a 400 mile round trip . . . .

Ratch

I just won 2 M101's from Ft. Meade last week. It's a 100 mile/2.5 hour trip for me.

Anyone have any success getting a hand at this base flipping and stacking them? I'd like to avoid renting another trailer to put them on...

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
I just won 2 M101's from Ft. Meade last week. It's a 100 mile/2.5 hour trip for me.

Anyone have any success getting a hand at this base flipping and stacking them? I'd like to avoid renting another trailer to put them on...
Wreckerman posted a thread about a recovery at redstone where they flipped one manually in a wallyworld p-lot. I would find it for you but the search function doesn't work with my phone.

Ratch

Thanks, I'll search it down. I'm probably doing the recovery alone at this point.
edit: found it, I don't think I'll try that while flying solo...

I forgot to ask, how can these trailers be piggybacked/doubled? I have an M101A1 now and don't see anyway to put a pintle on the rear of it that I'd trust.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks