• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovery of 5ton from Letterkenny to N.H.

beaubeau

:grd: Drove out to Pa. with my Deuce and a Home made tow bar that I have used on large trucks for years. I tried pullint 5ton 818 with a chain to see if it would run, NO GO!! Lack of fuel???. Hooked up tow bar and thanks to Kevin I tried to start it one more time as I pulled him around the parking lot. I guess the wheels went one way and I kept going the otherway. Bent the tow bar!! Well Kevin helped me pull it to a local lot across the street.
I met a couple helpful locals and before long I had the tow bar stitched and hooked up again. I brought my portable welder which came in handy!Tow bar weighs about twice as much as it did before. BUT< it worked fine and off I went to N.H. . Other than fuel problems with the Deuce and losing overdrive on the NY-Mass. line, all went well! If U think a Deuce is slow , try driving 100 miles in 4th gear! But I was able to make it on my own, without a TOW!!! I had fuel problems at half a tank, which I think may be a pin hole in the suction line. Ill check it out tomorrow. I had an extra tank of fuel strapped in the bed of the Deuce. I ran a hose and line to the 1/2 plug on top of the Deuces fuel tank. As I needed fuel, I just turned on a valve on the Aux. tank, and watched my fuel gauge go up. AS it got close to full, I stopped and turned of the Valve. Extra 90gals. came in handy on this trip! I filled up in states where fuel was low.
Anyway, I did find out that an M818 is quite heavy pulling with a Deuce. The Deuce had a great work out. I did not hook up any lights. I had these magnetic lights that run on 2 AA bat. and they worked well! No one stopped me or gave me any Crap. I did not hook up any brakes to the 818, and I really did not have to break much all the way hame. It's amazing the Hold back a Deuce has when going down a long grade! Traffic was as well as a trucker would want, NO traffic Jams at all!! One more thing, the seats in a Deuce get Hard on a 1000 mile trip!! I'm getting to old for these trips. I got to stop buying! :driver: Phil Ps Justin at GL was a big help and so was Kevin. Phil Pics will come Later.

Alredneck

Banned
Man sounds like you gave her he!! good you made it back in one piece hehe!!!! Now let me see here nopics

Alredneck

Banned
Yea right then we can post it over on the 5 ton forum and say look fellas, see what are lil trucks can really do :grd:

beaubeau

I am sure glad I did not go get this truck with my Chevy 1ton Duramax, and my 10ton trl. I got water in the fuel in the Chevy, so I went with the Deuce instead. That 5 ton pulled heavy, but pulled well. I think I got up to 60 going down some hills and it handled well. I build my tow bars Long for better handling, except when they bend in the Middle.

grobinson2

OMG! Kevin you are one hell of a guy and thanks again for helping me when I came to pick up the M35. For some reason after hearing this story I feel like I could pick up anything after what you went through man. WOW!

Thanks,
Glenn

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks