• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovery of new M35A2C from Tinker AFB in OK

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We got in late last night after bringing my new M35A2C home from a GL auction at Tinker AFB in OK.

I had planned to take a lot of pictures for before and after but upon showing up at Tinker and talking to the GL rep, my day was suddenly booked solid.

The conversation started with, "what did you bring with you to take it back home?" I countered with, "I was going to drive it home." He 'checked' with, "how? It doesn't have any brakes?" That is when plans of pictures and a nice enjoyable morning drive back to Texas changed. GL listing said that it Starts and Runs, but neglected to say that it didn't stop. aua

Luckily, my brother is extremely knowledgeable with all things mechanical. (I owe him big time for yesterday and a hundred other projects he has helped me with from my first memory. )

We looked over the truck and everything looked pretty good. Went through the GTA and everything except the brakes looked pretty good. All in all a very clean truck. Even came with a half a tank of clean (looking/smelling) diesel.

We put in a quart of DOT 5 fluid in the reservoir and pumped the brakes, they started getting better, but in the end I would only get some braking with the first push, with the pedal on the floor. The second pump was perfect though. Pedal engaged quickly/high and was very firm. Holding it over a few minutes with no creep and no leaks. I had spilled a little fluid so we couldn't see any leaks because it was wet from my spill, but nothing major. No leaks at any of the wheels.

We attempted to jump it, but the batteries were totally dead. We decided to pull start it after 15 min of charging with no effect. The Deuce started right up, no smoke and pretty quite for a Deuce. Definitely not a C turbo, but I am happy with a D, and was actually what I wanted. Anyway, without batteries we had no lights and some of the gauges didn't seem to work, so we shut it down.

We decided to go get some lunch and pick up some new Batteries, came back put them in and the heater fan came on. I ran over and turned it off, but we now know why the batteries that were fine a month earlier were stone dead when I showed up. Since temps are in the 100s I am not sure why someone turned on and left the heater running??? Anyway, put in the new batteries and started it up no problem. All the guages seem to work save the fuel gauge. All the lights worked so we were good, save for the brake issue.

My brother felt comfortable driving it around the yard, so we dumped in my 10 gallons of fresh diesel and headed out. Brother wanted to drive it until we got out of town. We were just off the Highway, so we didn't have to do much city driving. I took lead in my pick aka tertiary braking device, but he had no issues. We were only a couple blocks from the HWY and traffic was very polite and gave the deuce plenty of room. The truck climbed some decent hills with no smoke and no downshifting required. Temp was running at 180 with the outside temp over a hundred. I was going to bring it back to my house but due to the brake issues we took it to my brothers instead. He lives just south of the OK boarder and is a lot closer. Also we would avoid having to drive into DFW area at rush hour. I would probably be leaning on his skill set to get the truck back to 100%, so it was the obvious choice.

Below is a little video I took of him crossing the Red River back into Texas. Sorry for the shaky camera. My first focus was driving the truck so I just aimed it in the general direction of the Deuce and hit record. I had to slice in the second camera angle from the other side of the bridge. :)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbATovMhVfM[/media]

Attachments

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Opps, meant to ask. Has anyone had an issue with the brake being soft the first pump but perfect the second pump? I had some suggestions to bleed the brakes and to check the air tanks. I will do both tomorrow when I drive back up to my brothers. Just wanted to ask to see if I get any other suggestions. Can you buy rebuild kits for the two circuit MCs and I probably need a replacement reservoir. I am assuming that is where the leak is at. Looks like one big reservoir services both brake circuits.

I was also going to spray wash the truck and engine compartment to clean it up and help me see any other leaks that may exist. Are there any "no spray" areas I need to be careful to avoid? I know modern electric connectors don't like power washers, but not sure what on a deuce could be damaged.

I also noticed they sprayed over one of the dash panels in the cab for some reason??? Any one know of a way to remove the paint without destroying the panel? It look like it had black and silver/metal dashed edge around the outside. I understand why they spray the unit markings but not sure why they sprayed that warning panel or a few of the safety markings stenciled on the back and side of the truck. I will do a search but if anyone knows where to buy the military style paint colors for the three color camo, please let me know. I want to paint my replacement lights so they match the truck. If someone is selling stencils please also PM me. I would like to return the truck to full military look.

Thanks,
Mike

Anyhow, it is home safe and the full inspection maintenance begins. (all advice is welcome on dues and don'ts.)

runk

Did you bleed both airpacks ?
Nasty spooge (technical term :razz:), from sitting, in the master or airpacks alternately blocking some of the little passages ?
Brake shoes out of adjustment, so first pump pushes them out, 2nd actually hits the drums ?
Finally having finished completely going through my brake system, and seeing the crud that was inside everything, I should have done it first thing. I thought my brakes worked fine, but they are much better now.

Oh yeah - Nice truck !

Last edited:

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you bleed both airpacks ?
Nasty spooge (technical term :razz:), from sitting, in the master or airpacks alternately blocking some of the little passages ?
Brake shoes out of adjustment, so first pump pushes them out, 2nd actually hits the drums ?
Finally having finished completely going through my brake system, and seeing the crud that was inside everything, I should have done it first thing. I thought my brakes worked fine, but they are much better now.

Oh yeah - Nice truck !

I'm going to drive up to my brothers and start changing fluids and filters. I mainly need to familiarize myself with the truck and start pulling together a parts list, so I can track down and order everything I need. Hopefully I can bleed the brake system today and see what that does for me.

I need to find the VIN and the Year of the truck for the SF97 forms. Based on a picture found in a search, the info is on the frame around the front wheel. Any other locations I should look?

I'll take more pictures today. I know some have asked about a few things, and I will try to post those pictures tonight depending on how late it it when I get home.

Thanks,
Mike

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since it is an Air Force Deuce, the Unit number will tell you the year. (ie 87K1234 is a 1987, 85K4321 is a 1985). The VIN will be something like 0412-12345. Carnac can only lookup ARMY trucks.

While I commend you on a great purchase and good recovery, I do have concerns about you not understanding the bleeding of the brakes before your trip home. With an unknown truck and an apparrant lack of knowledge about the braking system, you drove a 13000+lb vehicle with questionable brakes on public roads and endangered yourself and others. What would have happened if the brakes did fail and a Soccer Mom with a car full of kids where in front of you?

The braking system and service before recovery has been discussed many times and the even instructions on how to check and bleed the system.

This is just something for you and others to consider before any recovery.

Now get to work and enjoy the truck.

jasonjc

I got one from OKC ex AF and they painted over all the marking on the back of the truck too. But they remove the plates from the dashaua:evil:. They also dumped a bunch of "stuff" into the fuel tank. I get 300-400 miles on a filter, gee thanks. They must have knowen I was in the army, **** airforce they will hose you every time. But other then that its a great truck, o they broke the troop seats too, fried the clutch and fly wheel and transmisson. But I knew about the trans as it was not in the truck and the broken seats were in the pics so I hoped that that kept the $$ down.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I first thought they sprayed over a small panel beside my data pate, but now realize they ground off and painted the serial number section of my data plate???

I found my Serial number on the frame, where can I find the contract number so I can determine what year it is.

I am trying to order my SF97 and have to define year, make, and model to GL for the form. This is an Air Force truck so Carnac can't help me. :(

Attachments

91W350

You will probably find the rest of your bow.assemblies.below the.box, in the first section, resting in a harizontal rack, tied down with straps. I am talking about the middle section of the bows. Glen

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since it is an Air Force Deuce, the Unit number will tell you the year. (ie 87K1234 is a 1987, 85K4321 is a 1985). The VIN will be something like 0412-12345. Carnac can only lookup ARMY trucks.

While I commend you on a great purchase and good recovery, I do have concerns about you not understanding the bleeding of the brakes before your trip home. With an unknown truck and an apparent lack of knowledge about the braking system, you drove a 13000+lb vehicle with questionable brakes on public roads and endangered yourself and others. What would have happened if the brakes did fail and a Soccer Mom with a car full of kids where in front of you?

The braking system and service before recovery has been discussed many times and the even instructions on how to check and bleed the system.

This is just something for you and others to consider before any recovery.

Now get to work and enjoy the truck.
The only number I have to go by is 1040-10443 stamped on the frame by the drivers side front wheel. I assume this is my VIN or S/N for this truck. All other numbers have been ground off and then sprayed over. :(

I think my Deuce was a secret agent during her past military service. :razz:

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will probably find the rest of your bow.assemblies.below the.box, in the first section, resting in a harizontal rack, tied down with straps. I am talking about the middle section of the bows. Glen
Thanks, I found several of them under the bed.