• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Red River Army Depot

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked up a NF-2D at RRAD on Tuesday.
Amazing place.
My first time on the ground there.

It is of course a closed base.
Meaning you have to have a reason to be there or you don't get on, Military ID or not, unless your assigned. More to it than that, but gives you the idea.

Something fairly new, that I was told at the pass office, was now no matter if you have retired/NG/reserves military ID card or regular civilian DL, etc is a Criminal Background Check will be conducted on the spot at the pass office.

Criminal background history......no access.

They ran me and my wife also. Took less than 10 minutes.
Once we were cleared, we were given vehicle and personnel passes to enter installation.

Gate MPs and RRAD police gave us The usual no recording devices and definitely no pictures speech.
Quick check for weapons and we were on.
Amazing sights for sure.
I followed rules and no pics.

Dont know if that Background check info has been posted before. Couldn't find any.

So just an FYI if you win something and have to go to RRAD to get it.

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A TWIC card. Transportation workers identication card will get you on quickly. Workers who access areas where customs is required among other places. I have to show mine to fly out to Gulf of Mexico PDQ.

It it is an amazing place. I wish the would just let me wonder around just to get close look of how equipment was built.

Did you see the tank incline testing ramps Mr. Tinstar? Absolutely amazing place. Can you imagine the stories some of that equipment could tale?
I certainly hope that the new equipment being built there protects every warrior so that not a drop of blood is shed.

On on lighter note, I know where I'm headed in event of zombie apocalypse :p

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Didn't know about the TWIC.
I figured there was something like that to ease the entry process for those who are there a lot.

Yes
Drove right past the tank testing area. Pretty cool.

We did do a little side trip on some of the back roads.
About 10 miles deep.
We were never in a restricted/prohibited area of course. Those were either guarded or had huge gates locked.

The amount of brand new equipment/vehicles just sitting and rotting is staggering. Even more used and battle damaged trucks, etc. literally everywhere.
Dont want to get too detailed for OPSEC reasons.

Worst part was seeing brand new, never used trucks and equipment being destroyed.

Guyfang

Staff member
Here in Germany, it's the same. Security up the kazoo. When I got here in 1973, all the Army Kasernen, (Posts) were "open". That meant just what it says. Open. No gates, no gate guards, nothing. There were walls and fences, but no one was watching.

Today, its another world. No matter what kind of ID you have. Active, Retired, NG, Government, what ever, You can not get on base without a reason. There is a list of people allowed. Your card gets scanned. Not on the list? Sorry. Some CECOM and TACOM friends of mine came over for vacation. They presented their cards, no go. They needed military orders, explaining why they needed to get on. No orders? Too bad. I had to sign them on base.

It's been that way for years. All Army Kasernen are guarded by German civilian security firms. The Air Force is another completely different deal. ONLY Air Force Police. They bring security to a new level. I feel good on an Air Base.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Unfortunately a TWIC card will not get you onto every or any base. I believe Bragg and Lejeune got rid of their TWIC passes. It makes for a hassle. Entry based on background checks is totally up to the base commanders rules. I know someone who has an arrest for a domestic violence but was dismissed within a week of the arrest but he still can't get onto several bases as a driver. But he can get onto RRAD and Ft Riley but others he can't. It is just retarded.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be working on a local facility shortly. I've worked there numerous times before, but every time I do, it's a background check and stop at gate for complete vehicle inspections................lots of nooks and crannys in a plumbing van.....................

I don't mind..OPSEC

Sure as heck don't want this old soldier to cause another to be hurt or cause loss of life or limb!2cents

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny thing about TWIC card when it was implemented (2007ish)$125 good for 5 years. Payable to Raytheon Crp. Gov farmed out or created yet another kind of "tax" paid to 3rd party. I agree with having the background check but interesting gov contract there don't you think?
Place is incredible. Would love to be able to just spend the day looking at all the equipment. As soon as they get road repaired the scenic route won't be utilized anymore, so you likely hit it at very good time.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Roads probably open now. Was very close when we were there.

We could have driven around all day just gawking at all the cool and unusual equipment and not pass anything twice.
From the Army bridgeing boats to the self-contained dump beds.

Definitely Candyland

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last time I went to RRAD, my girlfriend came along, but forgot to bring her own ID card. She got to sit in the security office and visit with them until I got back with the trailer! No ID on your person, no entry on that base, even if you are a passenger. They were very pleasant about it, but not flexible.

Do NOT bring a firearm on base unless you are a LEO, and have your credentials with you.

They also do a comprehensive warrant check. Two semi-drivers got arrested and had their rigs towed off base while I was there.

Be cautious of straying from the route they give you to get to your stuff, they frown on sight seeing, as a buddy of mine found out when he wandered closer to get a better look at some vehicles!

Cheers

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They also do a comprehensive warrant check. Two semi-drivers got arrested and had their rigs towed off base while I was there.
This is not surprising. People have been getting busted at Bragg for a while now. Usually sub-contractors of the contractors working on a project on or around base.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As much as I wanted to, I never got out of truck until at pickup point.

There was some military equipment I had never seen before and couldn't tell it's intended use.
I wanted to get out and go look at the data plate, but knowing my luck, a MP/RRPD would drive around the corner just
as I was next to it.
Not worth the trouble. I will be back at some point and don't want anything to prevent that.

I had to dodge a treasure trove of parts that were lying in the road......literally.
My wife kept saying no, like to a dog who wanted on the couch, but it was me who wanted to stop and pick up parts I had to drive around!!!
Taking stuff off equipment I understand, but I'm dodging parts laying in the road LOL!!!

Of course I wouldn't take even a single bolt without permission, I'm not a thief.

Driving by one of many scrapping operations, I wanted to stop and ask if I could have a MRAP ladder I saw in the pile, perfect and brand new, before the claw scooped it up and dumped it in the scrap trailer.
I didn't because I knew they couldn't give me anything without getting into trouble themselves.
Same with the Hawker battery's. Pallets and Pallets of them.

When you experience RRAD for yourself, you'll understand what I mean.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is tragic seeing so much savable stuff getting trashed! And the miles of new-but-never-to-be-completed MRAP chassis. :-(

But yes, not even a loose bolt on the ground would get picked up by me.

Cheers

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GL pictures of equipment at RRAD. Most of this was shipped from Iraq to Galveston TX, then shipped to Texarkana, and stashed out in the woods awaiting rebuild.

Attachments

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saw those.
And thousands more (no kidding)!!

........Those evil armor kits for the 5 ton must be destroyed!! (Insert your favorite villains voice) so the citizens cannot enjoy collecting them!! Exit ....with evil laugh.

I know
Been a long day.

Guyfang

Staff member
The Army Depot in Kaiserslautern, Germany was just like that. A wonder land, just like your pictures. I could drive around for hours. Better than Disneyland.

Jericho

Air Force security has always been tight on facility access, Its a no brainer, Billion dollar aircraft and a hammer don't mix. BUT there has been a new trend toward renta cops on the gates as the Security Forces AFSC has been cut in size and the normal perimeter SF guys were sent overseas for patrol duty or discharges to say money , Insurance is a good example. try entering an AF base with out an insurance card, I was stationed at England AFB L.A. and used to drive to Fort Polk to do Inter Service Asset transfers for Aviation stuff, Was always amazed that they had no gate , no guards and the only place you saw a post was on a tank park entrance . This was as late as 1994, sure its tighter now !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks