• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Red's deuce/camper project

red

Called on both transmissions today. The 18 speed sold already and the 13 speed needs new bearings as well (full rebuild). Outta my current price range so I'll keep looking.

On the bright side, the engine arrives tomorrow!!

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool, does it appear as good as it was advertised?

Unless you had something else in mind, when it comes time to transport that I'm sure we could squeeze it into my little Dakota (probably would have to remove the shell), or use my deuce.

If you need somewhere to store it, I have a shed out back I'm not making much use of, but there's a lot of box elder bugs everywhere so all the holes would need to be well packed with shop towels. Might be a pain to move over the lawn back there too. Annnnd I'd need to pick up an engine hoist from Harbor Freight.

Hey, I'm trying to be helpful but I'm striking out here... :p

red

The motor came as advertised and expected for a 1982 engine, couple leaks to take care of.

Thanks for the transportation offer! It's in the garage so for storage I'm good for awhile, transportation we will figure something out. Wrecker up for a long trip in a few weeks? ;) haha

Another Ahab

Cool, does it appear as good as it was advertised?

Unless you had something else in mind, when it comes time to transport that I'm sure we could squeeze it into my little Dakota (probably would have to remove the shell), or use my deuce.

If you need somewhere to store it, I have a shed out back I'm not making much use of, but there's a lot of box elder bugs everywhere so all the holes would need to be well packed with shop towels. Might be a pain to move over the lawn back there too. Annnnd I'd need to pick up an engine hoist from Harbor Freight.

Hey, I'm trying to be helpful but I'm striking out here... :p
Engine Hoists can be rented at most good Tool Rental places for a reasonable fee. It's just an idea (can help on the out-of-pocket expenses).

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The motor came as advertised and expected for a 1982 engine, couple leaks to take care of.

Thanks for the transportation offer! It's in the garage so for storage I'm good for awhile, transportation we will figure something out. Wrecker up for a long trip in a few weeks? ;) haha
Oh, yeah, well, uhmmmm... I "hired" this diesel mechanic but I've only seen him over there like three times. Not sure if he's gotten it running. :confused::confused:

Guess you get what you pay for! :roll::jumpin:
:beer:

red

Engine Hoists can be rented at most good Tool Rental places for a reasonable fee. It's just an idea (can help on the out-of-pocket expenses).
That's how we unloaded it from my roommates Tundra, 2 ton engine hoist rental.

Haha Valence we need to get working on the wrecker. Have you tried to fire it up again since Friday?

Will bring some tools home and take a closer look at the motor. Looking like some oil leaks as expected. Going to turn it over by hand and adjust the valves as well.

red

Did a little work on the DT466. Pulled the old wiring harness off, checked out the seals and line plumbing. Engine turns over without issue. Going to order a gasket set but the only leaks look like the slobber tube, oil cooler, and oil pan.

Will be plugging a few coolant lines since I don't have a heater yet. One pipe fitting is broken at the block and will need to be extracted. Other than those few things, need a flywheel and it needs a bath haha.

Another Ahab

Did a little work on the DT466. Pulled the old wiring harness off, checked out the seals and line plumbing. Engine turns over without issue. Going to order a gasket set but the only leaks look like the slobber tube, oil cooler, and oil pan.
You make it sound like that was easy, red.

Was it that simple to pull all that wire out?

red

Working as a medium/heavy diesel mechanic makes it easier. Plus I'm our young electrical guy at work so when a truck has wiring problems they give it to me haha.

The harness on the older DT466 like mine is just as simple as the wiring on the multifuel engine. Oil pressure, coolant temp, alternator, starter. Add in 1 wire for the fuel shutoff solenoid and that's it.

Planning on custom radiator hoses but might get lucky. Looks like there is more clearance between the injection pump and the steering box but won't know until the first test fit.

Only other fitment concern is with the motor mounts. The rear mounting holes on the motor are 29 1/2" wide.

Another Ahab

Pulling the old engine and trans out with Valence and anyone who wants to help on Sept 19th, unless life gets in the way haha.
I would LOVE to come you there and check out Utah. I've never been in that part of the country, but the pictures of the place sure look pretty.

Not this time, but one of these days. Thanks for the invite, and good luck; send us some "pitchers". :beer:

red

I would LOVE to come you there and check out Utah. I've never been in that part of the country, but the pictures of the place sure look pretty.

Not this time, but one of these days. Thanks for the invite, and good luck; send us some "pitchers".
Funny you say pitchers, I could use a few of Yingling (or however it's spelled).