• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Red's deuce/camper project

ntxcop

Red, Thanks for documenting your adventure and posting pics of your progress. I may have missed it, (if so I apologize), but whats your plans for the camper build? Are you going to build from scratch or mount a camper shell in the bed? Keep up the good work!

Last edited:

red

Looks good. 3/8" plate? 12v? Are you mounting it above or below the frame rails?
12 volt 4500 pound winch with 3/8" plate. The mount will put the winch over the frame, between the bed and the cab.

The camper will be a MUST shelter, basically a expandable s280 shelter. It's a removable shelter, and I don't have a crane at the house. So using a bed winch and a roller at the end of the bed to load/unload as needed.

Another Ahab

12 volt 4500 pound winch with 3/8" plate. The mount will put the winch over the frame, between the bed and the cab.

The camper will be a MUST shelter, basically a expandable s280 shelter. It's a removable shelter, and I don't have a crane at the house. So using a bed winch and a roller at the end of the bed to load/unload as needed.
Is that an acronym that means something:

- Or you just mean "got to have it"?!

red

Gotta have it haha. No its the only acronym I know for it. Used by medical for their field hospitals. Carnac posted a video on here about them. 12ft long 8ft wide when closed, and both sides open up to provide roughly 12ft by 18ft.

Jeepsinker

Will you be adding gusset plates to the inside corners of your winch mount? I like your thinking on the setup. How far back do you have to move the bed? Like 4-6" it looks like, but hard to get scale from the picture of the winch and mount.

red

Yes gussets will be added to the corners. The goal for me is to not move the bed, might be 2-3" though. I dont want to modify the look of the truck much. The winch and plate are 6" wide.

The mount will raise the winch to the floor of the bed, just above the bolt on the back of the cab.

Jeepsinker

I've never measured the space between the bed and cab, but it is awfully tight. There may JUST be enough room to squeeze the winch in there. Are you going to be able to reach and actuate the clutch lever from the side, or might you have to cut an access hole in the bed?

Jeepsinker

Then you may want to consider moving the bed back 1-1.5" by just drilling new holes forward in the bed mounting brackets to make some room for deflection and frame flex it would suck to have the bed or cab contact the winch and break off the mounting bosses or damage the cab.

Jeepsinker

Looks good. Are you bolting this to the frame via some flanges welded to the frame, or just welding it straight to the frame?
Edit: I don't mean to hound you, I'm actually just curious. I've been following this thread since the start.

Last edited:

red

No worries questions are good! It will be bolted to the frame on both the top and outsides. Doing the test fit today, will have more pics in a little.

red

Weather doesn't want to cooperate today so I'm just sitting here thinking. The bed will get a roller installed to make it easier to load and unload stuff with the winch. What I'm wondering is if the frame should get one as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks