• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Red's deuce/camper project

red

$900? Toms kit was $1350 last I checked. I'm about to buy the kit myself, so if you have some kind of "In" with him I'd like to partake of that!
Lol no its a different upgrade. I'm installing a auxiliary transmission. Modifying the input shaft on a stock deuce trans, make some mounts, and new drive shafts. Including the cost of the trans it's about 1200 bucks.

Provides the original overdrive ratio, a roughly .6 second overdrive, and a very low crawl ratio.

red

Basically 25 forward gears and 5 reverse. For most driving the front transmission will be in 4th (1-1) with the rear transmission being the main box.

red

Diagram of the drive train or the shift patterns?

Drive train will go engine-trans1-trans2-transfercase.

Available shift patterns: (trans1:trans2)
1:1, 1:2, 1:3, 1:4, 1:5
2:1, 2:2, 2:3, 2:4, 2:5
R:1, R:2, R:3, R:4, R:5
Etc through all 5 gears. For normal driving the first transmission will be in 4th (1:1 ratio).

For reliability the second transmission will be used for the majority of the shifting.

Did some measurements and the shifter for trans2 will be coming up a little in front of where the original transfer case comes through the floor.

armytruck63

I saw an old home-made tractor once with two Model A three speed transmissions. The lowest gear was double reverse. There wasn't enough horsepower to run third-third.

red

Funny how both transmissions in reverse makes for a forward gear.

Crawl ratio between 2 transmissions in 1st and the tcase in low makes for roughly a 72:1, compared to the stock 12:1 (not including axles).

Power loss to a second transmission will happen, question is how much?

rustystud

Are you going to be running two 3053 transmissions ? I think a aux box would be a better fit, like a spicer 7000 series. Also how are you mating them up ? A short drive shaft between them, or are you having a special shaft made up to go into the 3052 from the 3053 transmission ?

Last edited:

red

Yep 2 of the 3053's. Thought about running a aux box but the cost, and complete inability to find parts, is why I went away from one. Although parts for the 3053 trans are not common, they are cheap and durable.

Having the input shaft cut and splined to accept a fixed yoke. Will either run a short driveshaft or maybe just a ujoint between them. Both transmissions are getting a mount off of the PTO cover to the frame for rigidity (rubber mount)

rustystud

Yep 2 of the 3053's. Thought about running a aux box but the cost, and complete inability to find parts, is why I went away from one. Although parts for the 3053 trans are not common, they are cheap and durable.

Having the input shaft cut and splined to accept a fixed yoke. Will either run a short driveshaft or maybe just a ujoint between them. Both transmissions are getting a mount off of the PTO cover to the frame for rigidity (rubber mount)
How are you supporting the input shaft ?

TXFirefighter

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I started working on over the road trucks, we had several customers that had 5 - 4 set ups. 5 spd main box with a 4 spd aux box. Made for interesting shifting trying to control both shifters during 1 clutch push... I never got the hang of it but was amazed watching the old timers drive the fool out of them!

welldigger

When I started working on over the road trucks, we had several customers that had 5 - 4 set ups. 5 spd main box with a 4 spd aux box. Made for interesting shifting trying to control both shifters during 1 clutch push... I never got the hang of it but was amazed watching the old timers drive the fool out of them!
Search youtube for 3 stick shifting.

red

Air shift is a possibility. I won't be constantly shifting both transmissions. That project is later down the list for now though.

Loading the camper after next weekends trip to big bend. Will actually get to start on the living area!

Initial plans for the camper are cheap, and necessary. With the move coming up I'll be living in it much earlier than planned. For the layout I want the center area setup for 1 person to be cozy. Shower, toilet, bed, kitchen, and ac/heat.

red

Took the truck down to Big Bend last weekend with Vped and a few other friends for some relaxation. Other than a blown airline and windshield wiper issues the truck did great. Averaged 10mpg with mostly diesel fuel and cruising at 22-2300 rpm (55mph roughly). Not bad for a mix of mountains and flat highway.

Highest sustained EGT's was 1200 for a few miles.

Hainebd

I don't think the input shaft and gears in the second trans will thake the torque out of the fist box in the low gears and the T-case will not handle the torque of both boxes in low gears. Now if you drive sanely and stay on the road you can get away with it, but the first time you torque the driveline up say goodby. I did a simple gear change from 4:10 to 5:88 and snapped front axle u-joint and one rear axle. Had to upgrade all axles to handle torque. Keep us informed I have thought about doing same thing but would lock both ends first. I know that if you are powering all 6 or 10 tires you will not get stuck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks