• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Red's deuce/camper project

rustystud

Was halfway hoping that the pickup screen was just clogged, nope, pump is just worn out. So I'm stuck at the house until the new pump arrives, probably Wednesday.

View attachment 553823
You might have to buy a new cable as yours appears to be the old style which is secured into the pump. "Olympic" sells them. They come in several different lengths. If you bought the "Parker" pump it might have a cable on it already. I bought several from the guy and some had the cable and some did not.

welldigger

You might have to buy a new cable as yours appears to be the old style which is secured into the pump. "Olympic" sells them. They come in several different lengths. If you bought the "Parker" pump it might have a cable on it already. I bought several from the guy and some had the cable and some did not.
You can cut the housing open and retrieve the plug I believe.

red

With the injector lines removed from the HH the fuel will spray up about 8-12 inches initially. After a few seconds it drops to 3-5 inches.

welldigger

With the injector lines removed from the HH the fuel will spray up about 8-12 inches initially. After a few seconds it drops to 3-5 inches.
How clean is your fuel tank and fuel filters?

Also, check and see what pressure your booster pump is putting out. It should produce 70 or 80ish psi.

Check your oil level also. If the booster pump seal has failed it will fill the crank case with oil. If it really went to crap then it could theoretically cause reduced fuel pressure to the hh.

But it's sounding more and more like your hh may be wore out or possibly starting to stick.

rustystud

You have a plugged line or filter. You should have at least 5 psi at the booster pump.
Yeah, welldigger's on the right path here. You also could have a collapsed (crushed) fuel line. Try taking off the fuel line at the tank and at the fuel filters. Using some shop air, try blowing through the lines.

Last edited:

red

All new DOT fuel lines, 1/2 inch. Brand new filters as well. I drove 15 hours with these fuel lines and the old filters. Tank looks clean inside and the pickup screen on the old fuel pump looks fine.

Moved the pressure gauge along the system and here's the readings with lift pump only.
Tank 9psi
After 1st filter 6.5 psi
After HP pump 4 psi
After final filter 2.5 psi

I have a gauge after the final fuel filter (higher reading) to find out if the HP pump is operating where it should. While cranking the engine that gauge does not move.

red

Borrowing a picture from another thread. I plugged the relief valve port on the high pressure pump, no change. Unless there is something I'm missing with diagnostics, the HP pump is dead. Would explain why I always had longer crank times to start before (worn out).

uploadfromtaptalk1429462203954.jpeg

Haven't found a stock replacement without buying a complete injection pump (not happening). Thinking of going with an electric lift pump that is capable of the higher pressure that's needed. Something like a Raptor pump

welldigger

P.m gimpyrobb or Floridianson. They may have the parts you need. I would try and pull it to see if it's shaft broke. It's just a small gear pump. Not much to go wrong.

red

Ordered a raptor 150hp. Rated for 75psi and 150 gallons per hour. Higher flow rate than required but the pressure capability is what's required.

Runs on 12 volts so the second alternator is going on before the trip.

This all had to happen right before the trip didn't it. Costing more money the longer im here.So ready to be out of here but no... Rant over.

Fuel pump and alternator should be here before the weekend. Rerouted the fuel lines today. Removing the fuel pump to replace it with a pickup tube. First fuel filter is now mounted over the fuel tank, new lift pump will go next to it. From there it runs to the final filter on the side of the tank, then the injection pump. Return line goes from injection pump to the final filter, then directly to the tank.

uploadfromtaptalk1429559157753.jpg

rustystud

Ordered a raptor 150hp. Rated for 75psi and 150 gallons per hour. Higher flow rate than required but the pressure capability is what's required.

Runs on 12 volts so the second alternator is going on before the trip.

This all had to happen right before the trip didn't it. Costing more money the longer im here.So ready to be out of here but no... Rant over.

Fuel pump and alternator should be here before the weekend. Rerouted the fuel lines today. Removing the fuel pump to replace it with a pickup tube. First fuel filter is now mounted over the fuel tank, new lift pump will go next to it. From there it runs to the final filter on the side of the tank, then the injection pump. Return line goes from injection pump to the final filter, then directly to the tank.

View attachment 555371
That will work :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks