• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Red's deuce/camper project

red

Sold the trailer so I had to move the stuff to the deuce.

After I sold the shelter I didn't need all the cargo room haha.

Couple pics to give y'all an visual of the roller and winch in action. I need to make a platform to do this better, the wooden crate won't hold up to repeated use.

uploadfromtaptalk1429658750980.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1429658765199.jpg

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the dia of your roller? I've got some 5" pipe I'm thinking of using for mine.

I'm also going to try and get by without the center support for the roller. Since it's going to be removable, it would just be easier without the center support. I honestly don't think the 5" pipe will flex that much without center support considering how light the shelter is. If I get to winching heavier things I may have to rethink it.

UPFINN

Wow red, this bed loading system is pretty cool!

How much does your shelter box weigh?

I have been looking for a cheap system I could fab up to load 2000lb white pine logs into my truck. Thinking a steel sled with straps to hold the log.

It seems there would be huge amounts of force on the roller when the sled is pivoting so winch would have to be sized accordingly.

red

What is the dia of your roller? I've got some 5" pipe I'm thinking of using for mine.

I'm also going to try and get by without the center support for the roller. Since it's going to be removable, it would just be easier without the center support. I honestly don't think the 5" pipe will flex that much without center support considering how light the shelter is. If I get to winching heavier things I may have to rethink it.
My pipe is 3 1/4" diameter, 1/4" thick.

The center supports are what holds the weight with mine, they are lined up with the sub frame of the bed. Its not so much pipe flex that I was concerned about, its the thin metal that's used at the back of the bed. Its only 1/8", with no supports to handle that kind of weight on only the outside corners. If you add support to the outside corners, running to the sub frame, that would help.

The more I use mine the easier it rolls. I can spin. It by hand now.

Last edited:

red

Wow red, this bed loading system is pretty cool!

How much does your shelter box weigh?

I have been looking for a cheap system I could fab up to load 2000lb white pine logs into my truck. Thinking a steel sled with straps to hold the log.

It seems there would be huge amounts of force on the roller when the sled is pivoting so winch would have to be sized accordingly.
The shelter was around 3-4k pounds.

The longer the platform is the easier the strain on the roller/winch, noticed that today. Was able to lower the shelter with no complaint from the winch (12ft long), but with the short wooden crate, it was trying to bind up.

Does make things much easier to load. I paid a welder $400 to build the roller, not including the bearings. Current winch is a mile marker 4500, ideally its too small but its what I had lying around.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What, you sold the shelter after CARNAC dragged it halfway across the country for you? What, you sold the trailer after I dragged it halfway across Texas for you?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was looking at my bed the other day and was thinking maybe have the roller tied into the bed side channel. You're right, I looked at the rear and it's pretty thin.

My thinking is make two receivers on each bed corner and have the end roller supports hook into that. I'll make the receivers out of pipe so I can install one end of the roller with the other end still on the ground and then swing it up to install the other end (if that makes any sense). That way I won't have to hold the whole roller up there while I try to install both ends of the roller at the same time.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much weight are you wanting to lift?
Standard S280 mainly (from the info I've seen, around 1,500lbs). I've also got a M49 deuce tanker bed that I thought I might also add some skids on and winch it onto the deuce if I need to transport some water. The tanker would be empty when loading/unloading it from the deuce bed so I'm just guessing but maybe 3,000-5,000lbs at most.

I may also make a skid (out of steel) similar to what you have pictured.

My truck already has a dump installed so that will help with unloading (just raise the bed and let off on the winch).

Just picked up a 10,500lb HMMWV hyd winch off ebay. It's too large to fit in front of the bed like you so it's going to be mounted under the bed. I'll add a couple of rollers to the front of the bed so the winch line can loop from under the bed and come out the headboard. I'll also add a roller fairlead where the line comes out through the headboard. I've already got hyd on the truck for the dump so I'll drive the winch off of that pump.

red

I moved my bed back about 4-6" to make room for the winch.

With yours being a dump bed that would make for a lot less strain on the roller

red

Setup the 12 volt fuse block, its battery, and some accessories. Wired in the 4 LED lights, fuel pump, USB ports, and standard 12v plug. Still waiting for the alternator setup.

Raptor 150hp lift pump arrived yesterday afternoon, got it wired and plumbed in. Was able to fire up the truck finally!! Died out after about 30 seconds, thinking fuel starvation.

So today I pulled the in tank pump out and replaced it with a pickup tube. Also removed the 3 micron final filter and installed another standard fuel filter in its place. Removing all possible restrictions. Also moving the feed location for the fuel pressure gauge so I can get a more reliable reading.

While I'm waiting for the batteries to recharge on the 24 volt system I went ahead and installed a shifter boot. Should help with some heat/noise from the drive train.

uploadfromtaptalk1429891322799.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1429891367674.jpg

red

Found out Friday they shipped the wrong pump to me. Need the high pressure (70psi) and received the 30 psi model. New one will be here Wednesday.

All 3 batteries are charged, waiting on the 12 volt alternator and brackets. Wednesday ish.

Waiting game sucks.

Been looking at pop up campers for the truck. I'm liking the Trailmanor 2417, hard sided pop up.

red

Ah, the joys of removing a destroyed outer wheel bearing. The 2nd nut wouldn't move, had partially melted to the bearing.

uploadfromtaptalk1430513839372.jpg

New inner bearing is installed, the new outer bearing is too small to fit on its shoulder. Have replacements to pick up in the morning.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks