• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Refreshing Gunny the thread.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
View attachment 874332
1985 Rubber Trans mount versus new Polyurethane trans mount. Seeing this is what made me pull the trigger on redoing all the body mounts.View attachment 874333
Got the Energy Suspension body mount kit in today as well.
I imagine it will make a big difference rolling down the road... The oddball squeaks should disappear too when you get some real rubber between the frame and body. Just replacing the (only) two cab mounts on my M1088 almost made it ride like a Cadillac. Yeah, okay like a Cadillac with four square wheels - but definitely better!

GunnyM1009

So my kit from Energy Suspension was missing one of the 2-1/2 inch washers. I contacted ES and they would not send me a replacement because I ordered it from Amazon. Amazon issued me a $20 dollar refund to buy the piece since ES wouldn't honor there product. I couldn't find the correct size so I made one.0729220553a.jpg
One washer inside of another and welded. I realize I'm not a welder but they are permanently stuck together.

GunnyM1009

Fuel tank parts came in today. 0729221926.jpg
I'm honestly thinking about cutting up the anti squeak kit and just putting the material on the high parts of the ridges. The factory one that I scraped and sanded off held a lot of dirt and moisture in the valleys being that it was glued all the way across. Any thoughts to the contrary and reasons why would be welcome. Also what adhesive would be best to glue the new anti squeak on?

cucvrus

So my kit from Energy Suspension was missing one of the 2-1/2 inch washers. I contacted ES and they would not send me a replacement because I ordered it from Amazon. Amazon issued me a $20 dollar refund to buy the piece since ES wouldn't honor there product. I couldn't find the correct size so I made one.View attachment 874429
One washer inside of another and welded. I realize I'm not a welder but they are permanently stuck together.
You may as well make a gantry and lift the body off the frame.

cucvrus

I was not talking body off restoration. I was talking getting the body up high enough to gain access to the current rear body mounts. Depending on rusted fasteners that can be a real chore. I use winches on the ceiling and bottle jacks to lift and shift the body around. A ratchet strap helps a lot also. I am doing the Energy Suspension cab/body mounts on my Little Red M1009 project today. I am going to complete this truck this year. I have screwed off long enough.

GunnyM1009

I was not talking body off restoration. I was talking getting the body up high enough to gain access to the current rear body mounts. Depending on rusted fasteners that can be a real chore. I use winches on the ceiling and bottle jacks to lift and shift the body around. A ratchet strap helps a lot also. I am doing the Energy Suspension cab/body mounts on my Little Red M1009 project today. I am going to complete this truck this year. I have screwed off long enough.
I got you. I misunderstood, I am replacing them all before the fuel tank, transmission, and transfer case go back in. The fuel tank being out makes getting to the rears easier. I'll have to start watching Little Reds thread a little closer glad you are finally going to get it completed.

cucvrus

I heard a green grasshopper has a green Hiney hole. I never looked. I used Energy suspension motor mount inserts on every build. For someone to say these CUCV rattle boxes have more vibration is Ludacris. The only time I felt no vibrations on a CUCV was when it was parked and not running. My ears still vibrate a half hour after I get out of one. Ever hear katydids while driving? I do everytime I am in a CUCV. They are good and easy to install.

GunnyM1009

I heard a green grasshopper has a green Hiney hole. I never looked. I used Energy suspension motor mount inserts on every build. For someone to say these CUCV rattle boxes have more vibration is Ludacris. The only time I felt no vibrations on a CUCV was when it was parked and not running. My ears still vibrate a half hour after I get out of one. Ever hear katydids while driving? I do everytime I am in a CUCV. They are good and easy to install.
Appreciate it. I'll go with the Energy Suspension inserts.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Appreciate it. I'll go with the Energy Suspension inserts.
Give Energy Suspension #31152 G available on Amazon a look, I believe these are the correct ones. Others will say otherwise, and other ones will work, but I believe these are the correct ones. I researched for a M1008. if the M1009 is the same then these will work.

GunnyM1009

Spent the day trying to get the horn working. The old horn did not work so I ordered a new horn and contact kit from LMC. Hooked up the new horn and installed the contact kit and click no blow. Tested the horn with a jumper it works. Cut out the capacitor at the horn and the diode at the relay and click. Pulled out the test light no power at the horn. No power at the bulkhead connector. Power going to the relay but nothing coming out of the wire to the horn. Removed the relay popped the cover off and cleaned the contacts. Put it back together and reinstalled still just clicks. I ordered a new relay I hope that's the issue because that's where the power is stopping.

GunnyM1009

Got the horn figured out. Turned out to be corroded connections. When I cut the capacitor out in the front my wire wasn't long enough to reach the horn so I splice a piece in between the original terminals. I used a fingernail file to clean up the connections but apparently it wasn't enough. I jumped between the relay terminals as @cucvrus suggested then followed the current out to the connections. I cut those out and put on some blade connectors. Horn works great now. Still don't understand why I wasn't getting my test light to light up when I was probing the power out of the back of the relay. When I pressed the horn it should have lit up. But at least it's working now. One more thing to mark off the list.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks