• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Registering a HMMWV in CA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpinst

I registered mine two years ago after I bought it with Indiana plates. I used a registrations service, no problem at all. Its registered as an SUV. I will do my new one from Mo this week.

jpinst

Inteadof waiting in line at the DMV, you go to a place that is connected to the DMV, provides all the same services and charges a small fee. Much Much quicker. As a matter of fact, you can do many of the same DMV stuff at AAA. At A vehicle registration service you can do everything buy weigh a truck, and have it inspected by the DMV employee, which they sometimes require for MV's. We have them here in CA, don't know about other states.

Haasino

Our HMMWV is nearly finished with the refurbish... I'll post some updated photos of the vehicle later today when I'm in front of my computer.

In the meantime, can any of the California members here recommend an insurance company that will insure a military vehicle? So far, AAA and Geico don't want to touch it.

Update: Here are some photos of the truck in it's current phase of refurbish... These were taken about a week ago, when the vehicle was about 95% complete... still waiting on some random small components to arrive from AM General, including new tires. Our contractor has also begun installing the Red Dot A/C unit which I'll post some photos of in the next post.

Attachments

Last edited:

Haasino

Here's the mounting setup we're gonna be using for the A/C unit... the mounting bracket and unit will eventually be painted tan to match the rest of the vehicle. My company opted out of the bulkhead mounting option because they wanted relatively easy access to the cargo compartment... we'll see if that has a noticeable affect on how efficiently the unit keeps the interior cool since I imagine a lot of cold air is gonna escape through that back hatch.

Attachments

papaydsailor

In the meantime, can any of the California members here recommend an insurance company that will insure a military vehicle? So far, AAA and Geico don't want to touch it.
when you go to those private DMV, ask them if they know of any insurance broker. my own insurance co. Geico wont take mine also. the insurance broker gave me wawanesa insurance co. they insured it as a leasure and recreational vehicle with high milage and one user/driver only for lower insurance premium including my ATV that i load at the back whenever i go off roading.

Haasino

Well, after calling around to about a dozen insurance companies and getting rejected all around, we finally just created a proper VIN for the vehicle... now the first 11 digits show up in the computers as a '91 AM General SUV, and the last 6 digits are the actual serial number. With the new VIN, the insurance companies were able to enter it into their systems and not have it rejected, so we've had no problem getting it re-titled, registered, and insured.

My coworker and I also flew back out last weekend to inspect the Humvee before we get ready to ship it over... it's about 99% complete right now, and only needs a few small components and some touch-up paint. I've uploaded a video walk-around to You Tube:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxHQe_hDIXU[/media]

Haasino

Dang..... I want one
The contractor who's refurbished this HMMWV for us has 12 more rolling chassis in various stages of completion... technically 13 if Blackwater/Xe decides to back out of their order. They're a mix of USMC, US Navy, and US Army trucks and come with, and without, SF-97 forms. Once he's done with our build, I'm going to talk to him about whether he'd be interested in doing private civilian sales... which he seemed to indicate he was... in the future. If he is, I'll pass along his name and contact info here. :cool:

ABN173

Thanks, but I am positive it is well outside of my price range since I support my mom as well as my own family. For now I have to satisfied with my M1008, one day though......

maynard83

Need help too...

Plan on getting my first MV as well so any help would be appreciated, most likely a Bobbed M35A2. I live in So Cal (The OC) and I called my local AAA office and they said they couldn't help me registering the vehicle with the DMV since they do not have a place to inspect it (they are located in a strip Mall). I use AAA insurance for my other vehicles but I didn't ask them about insuring it since I figure I need to get it registered first.
I am glad I found this site as the vast majority of members have a plethora of information and are very friendly.

papaydsailor

Plan on getting my first MV as well so any help would be appreciated, most likely a Bobbed M35A2. I live in So Cal (The OC) and I called my local AAA office and they said they couldn't help me registering the vehicle with the DMV since they do not have a place to inspect it (they are located in a strip Mall). I use AAA insurance for my other vehicles but I didn't ask them about insuring it since I figure I need to get it registered first.
I am glad I found this site as the vast majority of members have a plethora of information and are very friendly.
go see george 100dollarman.com/index.html he got a lot of bobbed deuce and cucv in lucerne, ca, i bought my cucv fom him. or if you want a humvee go see mr juan jkmilitary.com in hesperia,ca.

maynard83

go see george 100dollarman.com/index.html he got a lot of bobbed deuce and cucv in lucerne, ca, i bought my cucv fom him. or if you want a humvee go see mr juan jkmilitary.com in hesperia,ca.
Actually I do plan on driving out to take a visit. Aside from the conversion, I do not know how much work has been done to his vehicles nor what additional work I would need to do or add to it. I also saw C&C equipment and his Bobbed Deuces. Looks like he does quite a bit to his and is why they cost a lot more. I don't have the time nor the expertise to be fixing or repairing these vehicles so I need to make sure only minimal effort on my part is necessary to maintain it. I need to find that happy medium between cost and working on the MV.
Thank you for your help.

BLK HMMWV

Maynard
First off welcome to the board glad to have another member in So-Cal.

There are quit a few So-cal members that own dueces that you can gleen some info from. I'm not one of them , but I'm sure Will Wagner would be more than helpful to you. He's also a Diesel Doctor.

Just like anything hobby related you get out what you put in.
Actually you get less , but it's the journey and the friends that you meet on the way that seem to help you forget you bought a money pit.

Speaking only from my own point of view once you buy into this hobby you will find some neighbors that just don't like you and now have a reason why. Make sure there are no local restrictions, codes in your area if your in a HOA.
Of course you will find that these people will be out numbered by those that love them you will be welcomed at parades and local events.
OC is home to one of the hardest working MV groups in So-Cal.

Remember they all require maintenance. Some types more than others.
There not brand new no matter what the odometer and hour meter reads.
Duece parts are the most plentiful and there are several salvage /scrap yards locally to find parts.

I may be over stepping my bounds, and letting the O.D. cat out of the bag but I heard talk of plans for a possible So-Cal SS meet and greet BBQ in the works. I believe vehicals will be welcome so you may want to check it out.

Maybe this will put a little fire under a certain somebody to get a date set in the near future.

BH / CC

maynard83

BH / CC

Thanks for the welcome and the info.

Everything you say is in the forefront of my mind especially the HOA of which we have 2 to deal with. Our community is really close to the Camp Pendleton Marines so the vast majority of people probably won't have a problem with a 2.5 driving up just as long as it looks nice and is well maintained (and probably not a whistler). There are some guys with those humongous trucks sort of like a Crew Cab GMC7500 and there seems to be no issues but as we all know, all it takes is one pinhead to ruin everyone's day and one of those used to live next door making everyones life miserable.
Like I mentioned, I realize these vehicles require maintenance of more than just taking them down to the local Jiffy Lube and I am ready for that, I just want to minimize the extra headaches that would cause the vehicle to be idle waiting for a part or for me to get someone who knows what he is doing to fix it which is why I will pay a premium to avoid that.
Hopefully I can start going to these off road shows that you spoke about. I am really looking forward to joining these community.

RDUKW

I have had great luck registering deuces at the AAA By John Wayne Airport. The guy to talk to over there is Kirk and they also can inspect them. It is way easier then the DMV.

Ryan

Haasino

How did you create a proper VIN for the HMMWV?
Most vehicles after '81 have the standard 17 digit VIN... with the first 11 digits acting as a code to identify the vehicle make, model, weight, engine, transmission, fuel type, seatbelt configuration, body style, manufacture year, etc... then the last 6 digits are the individual vehicle serial number.

The title company we went through to register the vehicle created the proper VIN for us... they used the correct factory codes to create the first 11 digits that would correspond to a 1991 AM General SUV, as well as identifying the body style, engine, transmission, seat-belt configuration, etc... then they simply took the original 6 digit serial number from the data plate, and put it on the end.

By doing that, the Humvee's new VIN still corresponds to the data plate, but has the proper 17 digits that allow it to be accepted by DMV or insurance company computers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks