• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Relocating front axle 5" forward

plym49

No worries. I never measured but they lengthened all the torsion rods so i would think they kept the center pivot point in the center. I will measure it as soon as it stops raining just to know.
Actually, I seem to recall from one of your earlier threads that they did also move the front tandem forward. That would be better, if the center bolster was still the center.

For nerf steps, how about a couple of short lengths of chain with a step welded across the bottom - maybe an old wrench?, of maybe that is too cliche'. In any case they will serve as steps but not compromise ground clearance off-road.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i know when you say 5" you are just thinking, but 1 to 1 1/2 would be easy with just simple mods to the axle to spring mounting block.

hdmax

The plasma will work perfectly, and as for the rivet replacements, I bored out the holes to allow 1/2" grade 8 bolts, with lock washers, and red loctite.
Not sure what they did that caused the front axle to move back , it doesn't look like it's in the stock location, unless it has little or no lift. Mine with 4" has plenty of room, I have been in some pretty hairy places, and have never had tire rub, let alone damage.

The tires are defiantly to big, but thats the idea. They moved the 3rd axle 10" further back to make room for the 53's and lengthened that drive shaft and torsion rods.

It just seems like they overlooked doing similar to the front.

I dont think those Hot rivets will give Mr. Plasma cutter a hassel. If they do Ms. Ody-Acetlyne is more than happy to get involved.

I guess the next question would be, what to replace the rivets with in the new location? Grade 8?

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For nerf steps, how about a couple of short lengths of chain with a step welded across the bottom - maybe an old wrench?, of maybe that is too cliche'. In any case they will serve as steps but not compromise ground clearance off-road.
I've seen that done w/ big fat timing chains and a nice step. It could move forward and backward but did not swing in much when used.

Last edited:

Reagans Rascals

I say push that front axle out as far as safety and practicality dictate...

it would be quite a sight to behold seeing a Deuce performing a wall climb...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXvxIy4YupI[/media]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks