• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Remote Oil Filters...Done.

bottleworks

I have a solution for plumbing the "out" of the filters to enter the engine through the hollow center shafts. I will have to draw up a picture of my idea. Should only be minor fab. Good call by Bjorn on the cooler. Hopefully I can finish up the updated design this weekend. I am ready to be done and start driving this thing again!

bottleworks

Here's a quick update on oil pressures.... Before installing the filters I was getting 12-14 seconds of no oil pressure on startup. With the remote filters installed, I am getting 2-4 seconds at startup. Pretty dramatic difference!

Below is a crude picture of a simple way to plumb into the stock filter return path.
I will be doing this soon to get the cooler back into the loop.

The hollow filter hold down shaft is 7/8"-14. I suggest using 3/4" plumbing for everything including the 90 degree fitting. The 90 degree fitting would just be welded to the end of the hollow hold down. The "washer" on the hollow shaft would be welded to the shaft. It will seal and apply downward force to the cut down filter housing.

The end result will allow oil flow in the stock "flow configuration" and allow the cut down filter canister to be sealed.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not use the port provided? It's a 1/2 inch pipe plug (you need a 3/8" square driver to remove), a little hard to get to, but it's there.

Good news about the "time to oil pressure", the oil cooler holds about one pint of oil btw.

Attachments

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
bottleworks I believe that the hollow bolt is 1"x 14tpi not that it maters for your plans. I have been planning something like you showed in your drawing too. Are you thinking of running plumbing from each ex-filter housing for the extra flow? Any psi readings before and after with your current setup?

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's good news on the shorter time for oil pressure. Glad to see everyone plugging away at improving the oil system. I would play with mine, but a little cold out....

Dennis

Last edited:

devilman96

Well.. Sometimes UPS is faster than one would expect...

I think this will pretty much cover everyone's concerns about plumbing... Both outflow and inflow will run through the tops of the canisters using the pictured items.

One bolt is counter bored and cross drilled like a banjo bolt for the "outlet" side to the remote filter base... The other is drilled through for the return from the filters... Remove the canister height, install these bolts and plumb to the remote base... No changes to flow path, the bypasses are all intacked, nothing changes with the exception of start up pressure and a whole lot better filtration quality...

It will be a few more weeks of testing and figuring but I think this is the ticket...

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Devilman, that will provide sufficient volume (flow)?*

*I know you already thought of this, but I had to ask

devilman96

Kenny... Right now I am threading for 1/2 NPT but I could make them pretty much anything.. So yeah you could go to AN fittings and use SS if you wanted... Or hyd like BW did but its overkill (not that I mind squirrel hunting with a 50 cal or anything of the sorts) [thumbzup]

Clint... Damn it ya impatient GA redneck will ya give me a chance to hook the bloody thing up to a flow meter already!!! aua rofl

Actually it's a very valid question.. The smallest flow restriction is .650 ID (at the 90's) with an average of 3/4 or larger elsewhere... Technically speaking it should be PLENTY, there are ways to calculate everything but some of the variables (fluid viscosity, velocity, GPM, pressure, resistance, bypass, port, hose size, lenght, blah, blah, blah) are unknown. Even in having all of them it would be theoretical at best as you cant compensate for the other side after returning to the engine with out having all of those numbers too and I doubt they've been calculated since the LD was designed on a slide rule back in the day... (I'll prolly eat saying that as Bjorn or D Doyle whip the numbers out in their next post) lol

Keep in mind that its pressure I am concerned with... as long as I am falling into the filters ratings and not ending up with a flow restriction that pushes some exotic PSI I am fine as the bypass works off of differential between the high and low side. Also keep in mind that (with few exceptions) very few engines fully filter 100% of their oil at one time, you almost always have bypass going on somewhere.

I am still waiting on the bases to get here from TX so I have little to go with other than getting the machining out of the way... Once I get it all in my hands I will hook up for flow, psi and temp and get the numbers posted... Being that we know the LD's flow rates I should be able to work out bypass percentages and pressure variations between stock and the remote set up... I don't foresee any issues but it wouldn't be the first time I've stuck my foot in my mouth ether.

devilman96

I considered it when I had it clamped to the bed but when I did the numbers I dont think its needed... the holes are .360ID so .360 X 4 = 1.44"

Im 2.21 X the size of the 90' fitting's ID in capacity... Sorry... I prolly should have posted all of this stuff when I put the pics up but thats the idea, please find what I am over looking!!!!

devilman96

Well... UPS finally brought me something I wanted to see!!! Or at least something that wasn't totally work related anyways!

These bases are built like a tank! I was very skeptical of getting to excited about these, I've had the engineering prints for some time but ya never really know what your getting until you actually have it in your hands. Now that I do I feel much more comfortable about strapping this on a Deuce... Its built for it and built well enough to do ether vertical or horizontal mounting too.

The dual bases are still backordered for a few weeks yet but I am going to start working with the singles on my truck after I get through this weekends shing ding. Then I will have the time for flow, temp, psi, etc...

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Thats awesome. Can't wait to see it installed. You and your (what was it Kenny, Bocca?) duece going to Aberdeen?