• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removed

Another Ahab

Federal Law only permits a vehicle to be 8ft. 6in wide. The only exceptions are farm and construction equipment like cranes. That would prevent an OT-90 for sure. Then the state laws would likely prevent it due to steel tracks. I am not aware of any rubber padded track ever made for the OT-90 or any BMP-family. It's too bad. I would have a BTR-70 if not for the width.

Shoot, it couldn't be THAT hard to come up with a way to rivet sections of tire to a track to make the whole length of it rubberized.

Of course, I'm saying that never having tackled such a project, but right, I mean how tough (technically) could that be? Tedious, and a lot of busy work, but when you own something (like this beauty) you want to use it!

Last edited:

Another Ahab

My OT-90 tank finally arrived yesterday!
After doing two "tank tours" in Europe and a trip for Minnesota I decided to select the OT-90 I saw in Minnesota. Looks and sounds great! I'm hoping to be able to drive it around soon,
/QUOTE]

Very nice item, LightningCato!

Just out of curiosity, I'm not familiar with the vehicle (it looks almost amphibious); what is the mission of the OT-90? What's it all about?

I mean, you know, in a nutshell.

Another Ahab

Was this one of the three in northern MN? Is it the museum quality one or the one with grabby cluthch?
Pete
What's the deal with armor in northern MN? You guys starting a Militia?!

Of course maybe it's just the driving: HAS to be easier on tracks in all that snow...

Timberwolf22

"Pursuant to the OBSC conventional weapons convention in Europe, Czechoslovakia was obliged to reduce its number of heavy armed carriers. In consequence, the country decided to attach OT-64 turrets (considered light armament as there is no main gun) whereof it had loads on stock to its numerous BMP-1 tracked personnel carriers. So, the OT-90, called also “havel's tigers”, named after the famous president, were born."

The OT-90 is really a BMP-1 with a different turret for the Czech military.

Last edited:

Hoefler

What's the deal with armor in northern MN? You guys starting a Militia?!

Of course maybe it's just the driving: HAS to be easier on tracks in all that snow...
Hey-this is a rough part of the country. We have lots of bears up here-that when hungry will eat right though a house. Armor seems to hold them off a bit.
Pete

Timberwolf22

Federal Law only permits a vehicle to be 8ft. 6in wide. The only exceptions are farm and construction equipment like cranes. That would prevent an OT-90 for sure. Then the state laws would likely prevent it due to steel tracks. I am not aware of any rubber padded track ever made for the OT-90 or any BMP-family. It's too bad. I would have a BTR-70 if not for the width.
I did find a website that offered the BMP-1 tracks with rubber pads but the issue was shipping to the US. I gave up looking directly for anything OT-90 but since the OT-90 chassis is really a BMP - found a bunch more options once I widened the search.

MadCat2

My brother and I are in negotiations to purchase one of the remaining 2 OT-90s in MN, im sure they were from the same guy u got yours from. Any advice, warnings, precations, and who did you use for shipping? We need it shipped to NE PA.

MadCat2

OK, it was an adventure in MN, we actually drove there from PA, and 30 min from out destination 2 locals slammed into us and totaled our minivan! the Officer joked w us and wrote up everyone for tickets except his out of state travelers! Well, we made it to the IFV location and it started right up, I drove it over a 4ft snow bank and out into a field of 2 feet of snow and did laps in the yard! Runs great so I wrote him a deposit and am now awaiting delivery!!!!

Got a rental car and drove home! will post arrival pics soon!8029975.jpg

Milspec33

Hey Lightning,
I have heard about your recent adventures, good for you! Congratulations on the Restoration School. I cant wait to see you when you get back.
Thanks again for letting me drive the OT-90...cant remember what you named it. That thing is too fun. I checked on it about two weeks ago and it looks good.

Milspec33

I am the guy who pulled it off the trailer and then drove it in the video posted by Lightning. I had never driven a tracked vehicle before, could not read chech and almost jumped out of the driver compartment when the air pop off let off some pressure. I also accidentally turned on smoke generator switch which dumps raw diesel on part of the exhaust manifold then blows it out. The manifold was not hot so it just sprayed diesel out of the exhaust port....oops. Lots of fun.

Timberwolf22

Madcat2 - I heard there were some humorous events to the unloading the OT-90. Give us some updates now that the OT-90 is at your property.

Please post up the Pics you sent me and I will put the OT-90 info up on the website.

MadCat2

Well, that was certainly an adventure. When trying to start it in MN it ran out of fuel, so restarting it was a trip, not to mention it was colder in PA that week than in MN where it came from! pulled it off w my pickup truck because my M936 Wrecker didnt want to start up in the cold weather and the truck driver had a goofy setup and ended up bumping into his air line handles and breaking them off- he called a tow truck for repairs as well. New batteries and a 5 gal jug of fuel got it to my driveway, where it sits for the moment till it thaws out and i can check it thoroughly for mechanical issues and fluid levels. and if you park them on a slope, they will not come out of neutral- learned that one the hard way! lol Going to scrub it down in the spring and repaint the entire vehicle! Too wide to bring to the shows but it will get put to use in the yard soon enough!

MadCat2

Yea, they go great in the snow, but even tanks slide on ice, I was at full speed in 1st gear and still going backwards! lol had to zig zag to get up the driveway! But its a beautiful thing to press a few switches and she comes right to life! She definately liked the warmer weather today! I got banned from driving it in the yard, and I will wait for a warm summer day to try to see how well she swims!
Windham-20140126-00514.jpg

MadCat2

Do you know what guns will fit in the turrnet? I have a .30cal and thinking that looks like it will work, just curious if a .50 will fit in there and mount up as well.

Did yours come w a radio? have you even been able to get it to work internally or externally?