• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Repainting HMMWV with Home Depot BEHR Paint

Predator42

I painted my HMMWV with Behr about 3 weeks ago. A few days ago I took it to the hills to test out some of the durability. I ran it (unwillingly but did anyway) through some pinion trees and sage and it took scratches all the way down the sides on both sides of the truck. after a wash (by hand) I've let it dry and they are actually still there. I think the Behr paint I did isnt too thick and probably could have used more coats but I was going for color refresh, not a color change. I am going to try to pressure wash the HMMWV on the weekend and see if I can work out the scratches but also to see if it holds up to the pressure or flakes etc. if it does I will go another route. these photos are all of the after scratching but before washing. I will take some pics of the after washing to show how/if the scratches come out.
IMG_5029.jpgIMG_5030.jpgIMG_5031.jpg

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The latex looks good, and it holds up well....but that's not why I personally don't use it, mine is originality.
and body work or sanding later on...I have used latex on trailers with good results, but I didn't care about the trailer as it was a working trailer. Pressure washing almost any paint job wrong will produce flakink or lifting.

Predator42

Yeah RWH I am reluctant to pressure wash it. I dont have accesss to CARC or a safe area to shoot it. I am however wondering if using the latex was a waste of time and if I am going to now have to try and remove it all.

mikey

Ok, we painted 2 doors with the behr. They look pretty good but then we had a paint rep kind of burst our bubble and tell us that the paint will scratch really easy. We actually off road our vehicles where you have limbs and such sliding down the side. Can anyone with the behr paint on their MV's testify to if the paint scratches easily or not.
They DO scratch, but no easier than CARC. The scratches are surface scratches, not down to the metal.

Here are pictures of scratching on my deuce compared to my 5ton. The deuce was painted with Behr Premium Plus, the 5ton was painted in CARC at RRAD just before auction. The deuce picture is from the hood the 5ton from the side of the hood. The bumper on the deuce got banged up and chipped, but I literally used that deuce to push trees over before it started to chip.

13072127_10206318313585595_617801930_o.jpg13072155_10206318308865477_938850995_o.jpg13072271_10206318306705423_1894730391_o.jpg

There are three things that you MUST do properly with the HD paint.

1) Good prep work. Crappy prep work = crappy paint
2) Cure. You MUST let the HD paint cure properly before it gets wet and for best finish it should not be applied in cold or humid temps. I found my best results were to bake it in the sun after application in the summer. I'd cover the truck if it rained. If you can get 5 straight days of sun, the finish will be outstanding.
3) Don't make the coats too thick. Multiple thin coats seems to allow the paint to bond better than one thick coat. I did 2 coats on my deuce ant it was fine.

*edit: When using multiple coats, you MUST make sure that EACH coat is fully cured before applying a new coat. Otherwise the paint dries as kind of a chalky finish and you can scratch it off with ease.

Mikey

Last edited:

mikey

For the record those instructions do not work for 24087:

look for "Competitors" in the system, then look for "Federal Standard" Then look for 34094

It seems 24087 has been purged from the HD computer system. I'm trying to figure out how to find true 24087 from HD now.

Mikey

kfrosty

Getting ready to get some paint today and have a couple more questions.

For anybody sanding, did you use a primer and if so what? Hopefully something from HD as well.

For the Wagoner sprayer, what model did you get? I'm looking at the Wagner Control Spray Double Duty HVLP sprayer. Also, what tip size did you use? I have a Magnum airless sprayer I did my house with but had a ton of problems with spatter.

On the spatter note, what was the water ratio you mixed in with the paint?

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks