• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reparing vacuum wipers

liljohn

Hey all,

Recently I've had a problem with one of my wipers. When you turn it on, it goes one direction, then stays there, won't go the other.

So I delved into the problem, and found a solution for it. It's a problem with the valve at the end where the hoses attach. Unfortunately it's not really made to be user-servicable, so I had to be a bit destructive in getting to the problem. But I'm fairly certain I can make the parts to repair it again to like new (just had to break out an end cap that was glued in, along with the little red pushbutton).

Anyway, my question is really this - is this a common enough problem to
A) Bother with making a writeup for how to fix it

and

B) Make more than one repair part while I'm at it, for others who may need it?

I just think that if this is a common problem and anyone's interested, I could probably turn out a solution for a whole lot less than what a replacement wiper motor costs (or upgrading to electrics, for that matter).

Posted in the deuce forum because that's what I have, but obviously these wipers were used on more than that so input from other makes is appreciated as well...

Oh and these are the plastic housing wiper motors I'm referring to, not the metal... Don't have those, so don't know if the same problem/solution applies.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
It can't hurt to post pics. The metal housing ones do not have that little button on them(never could figure out what it was for). I would like to see in a plastic one as I have yet to open one of mine.

Barrman

I pulled both of my metal ones apart on the Gasser and got them working great. No real trick to it. Now, my A2 has the plastic ones and I don't like them. They seem to be either full speed on or making noise stuck. Go ahead and post some pictures. At least one of us will learn something we didn't know before.

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimp,
I have found that when the wiper gets stuck at one side, if I push the red button it releases the pressure and continues to work.

1stDeuce

My driver's side wiper would stick to the right as well. I took it apart as much as possible (plastic junk!) and ended up deciding that the issue was in the valve that I couldn't disassemble... I shot some Marvel Mystery Oil n there and pushed some air through and it started working... Put it back on the truck and let it run with no load for a while at higher air flow... It seems to work mostly at the moment, but does occasionally get stuck at slower speeds. Turning up the air usually works, but then the sweep is reduced. (?) My pass one works great, for what it's worth!

Man, these things are less than ideal... I can see why there is a 24v conversion!

Just curious, are the metal ones so finicky??

Chris

THEROAD

I have two Deuces and one wiper on each one does not work. The red button is stuck "in" on both and they just sit on the starboard side. I would like a fix.
Thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thread title,
Reparing vacuum wipers
The M35A2 uses air pressure, to run the wiper motors.
The M38A1 and other Jeeps use vacuum to run their wiper motors.

The wiper motors are not interchangeable.(or the same)

Last edited:

deuceman51

One part of PMCS is to periodically put oil such as marvel or 3 in 1 oil into the wiper, work it back and forth a few times and that is supposed to lubricate the motor and it will work. It is actually a military procedure that often gets overlooked. It works everytime for me. I am working on a wiper arm upgrade for the air wiper and I will let you guys know when I get everything worked out. The tutorial on the SS site of the NAPA kit is ok, but it is obsolete and I couldn't get the right size blades anymore because they were phased out, so i've found something new.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Eric, the ones on my m725 were vacuum and work fine with + air pressure, are you sure about that?
I didn't say they won't work on either air pressure or vacuum. I said they are not interchangeable(ie. use a vacuum motor from an M38A1 in an M35A2), meaning mounts and shaft lengths.

I added to the tread because, I noticed it was titled with"vacuum", and it's in the Deuce forum(just trying to clarify facts).

I don't know for sure if a vacuum motor will work with air pressure(like you said you've done).

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yes you are correct there. I tried to line up my m725 wipers to a deuce window, as I have installed a deuce windshield in the 725. They do not line up. Sorry for second guessing.

I have two Deuces and one wiper on each one does not work. The red button is stuck "in" on both and they just sit on the starboard side. I would like a fix.
Thanks
Mine did the same but was an easy fix. I detached the tube going into the wiper and blew compressed air into the intake nozzle. That released the red button and got the wiper moving.

I wish I had known it was gonna be that simple before I went as far as removing the motor/wiper arm from the window frame.

Last edited:

THEROAD

Thanks,
I have lubed them up and maybe the next time I try them they will work. I will try the air compressor trick.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks
I used a sharp scribe, hooked into the bottom side of the button and pulled it out. Put some lube, MMO, 3 in 1, etc in the supply and let 'er hum. Still works good...not that I get to use them much out here in the land of no precipitation. I have taken the plastic ones apart and repaired them by taking a bunch that were non op or had the lever broken and made two good working ones out of the bunch.

liljohn

Yup, my mistake, air pressure not vacuum... :oops: But anyway, I'll do what I can for pics and what not when I get the chance.

The problem with these things is definitely in the "lubrication" department. The unfortunate thing is with a little bit better engineering, they could have made that valve section much easier to service and hence eliminate much of the problem. :roll: I'm actually going to try and design an "upgrade" for it while I'm at it to try and eliminate the problem. No promises, though. :p

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
I pulled and replaced my motor , if the wiper motor has been on the truck for a long time they rust up on the outside , mine has pitted and rusted real bad to where it wont rurn ever.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks