• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replaced Steering Knuckle Boots

rolling18

Where did you find the manual for that procedure I need to do that also.

How much did you clean out when the boot was off?

did you use spray or repack anything with grease before you put the booty back on?

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The proceedure is in the TM, I think the -20.

I just cleaned enough grease out to make it easy to clean the grooves where the boot goes.

Didn't repack or add grease before putting the boot on. Afterwards you can grease the top and bottom king pin zirts and that will end up in the knuckle.

Champ173rd

Is there a video on this process? Because upon buying my Duece, I looked at the boots and am now thinking they were never installed correctly. I'd like to do the boots up right. They look fine but not done correctly because I don't understand how they keep dirt out the way they are on it personally.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have any pictures of yours? Maybe we can help.

Also, it's a bit of a read, but worth it:
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?8460-Front-axle-seals-and-boots-stepXstep

If you don't know when it was last done, you probably should service all the axle ends so you can inspect the condition of the brake pads, drum, bearings, spindle, bushings, brake/wheel cylinders, axles/u-joints, and replace oil seals.

I had never serviced an axle before, let alone 2.5 ton Rockwells. Between the Technical Manual for the process and the above thread with help from folks here, I managed.

With the boot you have to make sure it is oriented correctly for the turning of the knuckle. Also you have to ensure the position of the clamp's screw is in a position that won't damage the boot when the ends are turned. Post #23 of the above thread covers that:
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...-boots-stepXstep&p=75932&viewfull=1#post75932

Last edited:

Champ173rd

Thanks so much for the link... I do look around on this forum for info with pics or vids . But sometimes its like weeding through a bunch of mumbo jumbo to actually find what you're looking for. I really appreciate the link! Thanks. I'm pretty mechanically inclined. Been a technician for years on industrial compressors and heavy machinery ect.. I just have never seen a zipper boot in my life or the how its properly put on. I googled a few pics and found some. Yes I plan on taking all the hubs and bearings apart soon to go over it all.
Do you have any pictures of yours? Maybe we can help.

Also, it's a bit of a read, but worth it:
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?8460-Front-axle-seals-and-boots-stepXstep

If you don't know when it was last done, you probably should service all the axle ends so you can inspect the condition of the brake pads, drum, bearings, spindle, bushings, brake/wheel cylinders, axles/u-joints, and replace oil seals.

I had never serviced an axle before, let alone 2.5 ton Rockwells. Between the Technical Manual for the process and the above thread with help from folks here, I managed.

With the boot you have to make sure it is oriented correctly for the turning of the knuckle. Also you have to ensure the position of the clamp's screw is in a position that won't damage the boot when the ends are turned. Post #23 of the above thread covers that:
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...-boots-stepXstep&p=75932&viewfull=1#post75932

DeucesWild11

Only thing I can add (from experience) is.. see that inner ring bolt in pic 4 above from Frank. Keep that at the top! If it's a little forward or back when you turn it will knock the inner ring loose and you'll have to do it all over again. Good Luck!

kml9705

I was doing some maintenance on my deuce today and I noticed that on the inside of the front drivers side wheel is wet and the boot has a tear, about 1", near the top. I guess I'll be doing boots and axle seals soon. Thanks for these posts and the info. Definitely going to refer back to this thread as well as the one linked above when I do mine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks