• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacement engine for a brdm2

kcimb

Top candidates are the cummins 6bt and 4bt (so far). However, will they fit and offer good power/torque?

Anyone have experience in this area?

Also looking for a head gasket set (2x) for a gaz41 engine.

Cannot find one to save my LIFE!

Last edited:

kcimb

Would a transmission like the Allison hd4060 be a good fit? Also, how are you handling the electronic part of adding a more complex engine and tran combo to the vehicle?

wgtactical

Would a transmission like the Allison hd4060 be a good fit?
I'm not familiar with the engine compartment for your vehicle but in order for me to do mine, modifications to extend the overall length of the existing space was necessary. Depending on the powerplant you want, you may end up having to do the same.

Also, how are you handling the electronic part of adding a more complex engine and tran combo to the vehicle?
It has already been worked out. All non essential wiring was removed and the TCM and ECM was programmed accordingly and all brackets, hoses, radiator, condenser, turbo piping, etc, etc were adjusted or relocated as needed. It has full instrumentation with status lighting and runs/shifts perfectly. There's no comparison of the power and speed range over the existing powerplant/transmission. Honestly, I couldn't be more satisfied.
:beer:

May help to be on the lookout for and existing engine/trans combo similar this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cummins-ISB...Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d26e34e1&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

kcimb

You did the same combo above (3.9 turbo w/ the Allison 1000)? Seems like a lot to be asking of a small engine. I drive a 2013 Tacoma and it has 240 hp w/ a 4.0l v6. The brdm2 is just under 16k pounds. Granted, it's still a little bit more powerful than the stock engine but not much. The gaz41 engine is very similar to a Chevy 350.

wgtactical

I have the 5.9 in mine but you can also turn up the power in the 4BT. Keep in mind that diesel engines make a lot of torque over a pretty broad RPM range and it's very difficult to compare them with a gas burner. I have a 440 fuel injected in a M715 project that I started years ago...if I had it to do all over it would have a 5.9 Cummins! Anyway here's the link to pirate 4x4 where I keep more up to date posts on my V100 build, simply because of the traffic http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/expedition-vehicles/1000792-zombie-killer.html

I'd say if you have room for the 6 cyl, go with it...otherwise I'd be considering the 4BT

kcimb

The 6cyl is too big and would require modification of the firewall.

An engine like a 366 would bolt right in and only require modification to the front two motor mounts. If I bought one of those c60 dump trucks I'd have everything in one package for a transfer or I could go with a 4bt and get a bread truck and use that but it would require more work.

The original engine may have a lot more wrong with it than just the head gaskets. No clue. It runs great though until it warms up.

Tascabe

I had asked Todor about some parts for a ZIL-157 engine in the BTR-152 - then we found out the engine was toast anyways so I never ordered them - but Todor was willing to find what I needed etc.

He is regarded as a good source on the russianmilitarytrucks forum as well. Lots of folks there have ordered from him and I think some have had to have him locate special stuff as well.

kcimb

Anyone here familiar with the GAZ-562or [FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]SMD-21-08 Diesel engines? They're listed as having been put in during modernization programs but finding specs on them is hard. Nothing about dimensions or anything else can be found. [/FONT]

BiffJ

For head gaskets you might consider taking what you have and getting copies of them laser cut or waterjetted from aluminum or copper sheet. A lot of the russian engines use simple gaskets made from sheet. The T34 came with an extra set of head gaskets and they are cut from aluminum sheet about .100" thick. I've seen gaskets for some of the other russian engines and they look very similar though some are made from copper instead. So far the only one that is much different is the BMP which is a copper o-ring filled with asbestos or some other such fibrous material. One of these o-rings goes around each cylinder and then a larger one fits around the entire head. They're crushed by the head and block to seal. I've not seen anything that complex on the gas engines....mostly just copper sheet.
I think you'll be hard pressed to come up with a diesel that will fit in the BRDM-2 unmodified and especially if you want to retain the original transfer case. Even without using a new transmission you'll need some way to mate up with the transfer case and that will be tough. Its part of the transmission case on the original vehicle or at least a cast mated part for the transmission case. The engine compartment isn't very big and access is limited. Going to a diesel will also create more issues with breakage of the original axles and drive components due to the extra torque.

Frank

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks