• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

replacement steering wheel for an m817

masalser

Hi,
I'm new to the forum. I just purchased an m817 dump truck to use around the farm and to go get rock. It's a great truck but I'm just too damn tall for the cab! Right now I'm having a devil of a time getting my foot on the clutch because my knee wacks into either the steering wheel or the door. Does anyone have any ideas on a slightly smaller steering wheel I could replace the standard one with?

Armada

Welcome and congrats on the new truck. Good question. I'm sure someone has encountered this before.
I believe the wheels are steel core. Worst case, you could shorten the wheel spokes and weld on a smaller diameter ring, then wrap it.
You would still maintain the original center mounting and horn assembly. Having ps on the 800 series is a big bonus since you'll loose 'leverage' with a smaller dia wheel. Not an issue in this case.
A wheel that tilts up like on a semi would be slick too.

masalser

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think modifying the seat to go lower would get me the room I need, and it already feels pretty darn low. The cutting and welding of the steering wheel sounds like a good worst case solution. Hopefully someone else will have another idea though.

Mark

pa.rich

I have the same problem with both trucks, getting in and out. Hey John Tennis! Theres a need for you to manufacture the smaller steering wheels for the trucks with pwr. strg.! I also have problems getting my feet up over the sill structure in the doorway.

masalser

That sill structure is annoying. I've heard that people sometimes cut it out, but I haven't gotten that annoyed with it yet. It's good to hear that I'm not the only one who has the steering wheel problem - hopefully, there's a good solution out there!

M1075

There are already different size steering wheels you can use. I have seen M809 series trucks with both the large and the small wheels. I'll try to get some pics and measurements.

jatonka

If you find steering wheel NSN #2530 01 089 9129 it is the smaller 800 series steering wheel. It works well as long as you have power steering. It is good on a deuce with air-o-matic steering. I have shortened steering columns, it's a lot of work, helps with belly room but lowers the wheel a bit. Not cheap. smaller wheel is easier, quicker, cheaper. JT out

M215

M809 steering wheel

I just went through this with my M813, original 18" steering wheel was in rough shape. Purchased what I thought was a NOS 18" replacement off Ebay, ended up cutting the old wheel apart to remove it. The replacement ended having a different shaft size and was unusable. Started calling around to find an original 18" wheel and no one had any! Put on a 20" wheel from a 2.5 ton that I had in the shop, but it was just to big and crowded the drivers seat. found out that the Gama-goat used a 18" steering wheel and has the same shaft size as the M809 series, TW Murray had a NOS goat wheel available and works perfectly, only difference is the color being black instead of OD.

The Ebay seller "Italylovers" lists a 18" wheel for the M809 series, but it has a smaller shaft size and will not work.

Hope this helps, Karl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks