• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

replacement steering wheel for an m817

masalser

Hi,
I'm new to the forum. I just purchased an m817 dump truck to use around the farm and to go get rock. It's a great truck but I'm just too damn tall for the cab! Right now I'm having a devil of a time getting my foot on the clutch because my knee wacks into either the steering wheel or the door. Does anyone have any ideas on a slightly smaller steering wheel I could replace the standard one with?

Armada

Welcome and congrats on the new truck. Good question. I'm sure someone has encountered this before.
I believe the wheels are steel core. Worst case, you could shorten the wheel spokes and weld on a smaller diameter ring, then wrap it.
You would still maintain the original center mounting and horn assembly. Having ps on the 800 series is a big bonus since you'll loose 'leverage' with a smaller dia wheel. Not an issue in this case.
A wheel that tilts up like on a semi would be slick too.

masalser

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think modifying the seat to go lower would get me the room I need, and it already feels pretty darn low. The cutting and welding of the steering wheel sounds like a good worst case solution. Hopefully someone else will have another idea though.

Mark

pa.rich

I have the same problem with both trucks, getting in and out. Hey John Tennis! Theres a need for you to manufacture the smaller steering wheels for the trucks with pwr. strg.! I also have problems getting my feet up over the sill structure in the doorway.

masalser

That sill structure is annoying. I've heard that people sometimes cut it out, but I haven't gotten that annoyed with it yet. It's good to hear that I'm not the only one who has the steering wheel problem - hopefully, there's a good solution out there!

M1075

There are already different size steering wheels you can use. I have seen M809 series trucks with both the large and the small wheels. I'll try to get some pics and measurements.

jatonka

If you find steering wheel NSN #2530 01 089 9129 it is the smaller 800 series steering wheel. It works well as long as you have power steering. It is good on a deuce with air-o-matic steering. I have shortened steering columns, it's a lot of work, helps with belly room but lowers the wheel a bit. Not cheap. smaller wheel is easier, quicker, cheaper. JT out

M215

M809 steering wheel

I just went through this with my M813, original 18" steering wheel was in rough shape. Purchased what I thought was a NOS 18" replacement off Ebay, ended up cutting the old wheel apart to remove it. The replacement ended having a different shaft size and was unusable. Started calling around to find an original 18" wheel and no one had any! Put on a 20" wheel from a 2.5 ton that I had in the shop, but it was just to big and crowded the drivers seat. found out that the Gama-goat used a 18" steering wheel and has the same shaft size as the M809 series, TW Murray had a NOS goat wheel available and works perfectly, only difference is the color being black instead of OD.

The Ebay seller "Italylovers" lists a 18" wheel for the M809 series, but it has a smaller shaft size and will not work.

Hope this helps, Karl