• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacement winch cable

cjcottrill

cjcottrill

Thanks, I read the specs, I'm wondering if anyone used this as a substitute. I've also read here on SS that some military mechanics replaced the 1/2 inch with 9/16 inch. Some say it spools fine but may reduce from max 220' to 210'. This product seems to be priced right and I wonder if anyone has found it to be tried and true.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might want to investigate your local sling shops. They might just have what you want from a spool that has already been partially used, ie., cheaper. Unless you are going to pick it up, shipping it truck freight 400+ miles is not going to be cheap. You also will get exactly what you want.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

area52

The deuce winch cable is supposed to be 6 x 19 fiber core but not sure if a different type would be better or worse. I know you need a fiber core cable for the clevis end that uses the slug in the middle.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
you can use steel core, but need to cut the core just like the fiber

Keith_J

Bad idea to go up in diameter as the drum will be below the minimum bend radius. This will fatigue the wire rope, causing breakage. Remember, it is the bare drum when you have the most pull. Successive wraps reduce the winch capacity.

mudguppy

Hmm. If I was provisioning a winch with a brand new rope, I'd go ahead and get synthetic rope.
interesting. my thoughts:

Cons:
  • $$$ expensive $$$ (as much as $500 - $900+ for 200')
  • frays easily
  • will need a smooth fairlead to avoid to the previous
  • hard to clean once dirty (oils, grease, etc.)
  • weakened by prolonged UV and chemical/oil exposure
  • have a limited lifespan even if taken care of
  • requires use of an unused snatch block to avoid frays
  • it doesn't lay nicely
  • and when it's not laid nicely, loose layers underneath can slip and damage the line under load.
Pros:
  • almost no minimum bend radius
  • gloves aren't really a requirement
  • don't get kinked
  • stronger than wire rope
  • much lighter than wire rope
  • supposedly safer (not supposed to 'whip' after breakage)
  • pretty
  • latest trend
i dunno.

jasonjc

There are 2-4 different typs of steel used in wire rope. I don't know the names/tremers off the top of my head. But there is a BIG differance in load ratings. The best 1/2' wire rope is at its working load limt on the deuce winch, from what i've read.
I do NOT see a load rating or the type of steel listed for the tractor supply or colmens wire rope.

rmgill

interesting. my thoughts:

Cons:
  • $$$ expensive $$$ (as much as $500 - $900+ for 200')
  • frays easily
  • will need a smooth fairlead to avoid to the previous
  • hard to clean once dirty (oils, grease, etc.)
  • weakened by prolonged UV and chemical/oil exposure
  • have a limited lifespan even if taken care of
  • requires use of an unused snatch block to avoid frays
  • it doesn't lay nicely
  • and when it's not laid nicely, loose layers underneath can slip and damage the line under load.
In this case you COULD put a winch cover on your winch drum of rope and have it be fine. The winch covers aren't so good on the wire rope because it holds the moisture in.

On the snatch blocks, it's a matter of cleaning/smoothing the sheave before use.
Pros:
  • almost no minimum bend radius
  • gloves aren't really a requirement
  • don't get kinked
  • stronger than wire rope
  • much lighter than wire rope
  • supposedly safer (not supposed to 'whip' after breakage)
  • pretty
  • latest trend
i dunno.
Add to the pros
Floats or can be bought in that form.
Shipping is cheap
Handling is VERY easy.

I like the idea of being able to add an additional length of synthetic rope to my back in a rope bag to have an extension when I have the winch fully extended and I still need more length for complex rigging OR as a back anchor point.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
remember BREAKING weight is 1/4 to 1/5 of the SAFE WORKING LOAD also known as WL(working load) or WLL(working load limit), LL(load limit), also a fiber core will have a tighter mim. bend then a steel core. a fiber core will have more crush and stretch under load then a steel core. a fiber core will have more corrosion on the inside at the core because it will hold moisture if the fiber core is not kept WELL LUBED, this is one reason a fiber core is a lot more dangerous then a steel core, you CANNOT see the inner deterioration, a fiber core cable , under heavy load , as the cable is squeezed down on the core, should show some lub on the steel strands from the lub being squeezed out from the core

Last edited:

cjcottrill

Thanks for the guidance, Coleman’s did not have the tensile strength listed but I thought I might be able to track it down since the ID numbers are listed. I thought it might be worth a week-end trip since I'm sure I could find some other goodies there also. $190.00 for 300' didn't seem too bad based on what I've seen other companies ask for 150'. I'll check with a local logging company, but most of their stuff is bigger. A local 4-wheeller said he got his someplace in Cincinnati, (about a two hour drive) I'll follow up on that also. Thanks again for all the input.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cable/wirerope availible at TSC is inferrior to what you need. DO NOT USE IT ON YOUR DEUCE WINCH.

As Emmado22 said, you nees IPS(improved plow steel) wire rope, google it, search it, educate yourselfs! This topic has been previously discussed on the site(with very important info posted)

Nonotagain

The cable/wirerope availible at TSC is inferrior to what you need. DO NOT USE IT ON YOUR DEUCE WINCH.

As Emmado22 said, you nees IPS(improved plow steel) wire rope, google it, search it, educate yourselfs! This topic has been previously discussed on the site(with very important info posted)
Doghead, man you are really being a killjoy with all this negativity:razz:. Bad mouthing Tractor Supply is not a good thing. Just because a lot of their stuff is made in China is no reason to be down on them.

If you need winch cable, just stop at your local heavy wrecker company and ask them who they get their cable from. Once you have located the supplier, find out how much they will charge to swage the ends. Much stronger than using cable clamps and not prone to breakage.

I used to pour a mixture of ATF and motor oil on my wreckers winch cables every month or so. Yes it's messy, but keeping the cable oiled does keep the corrosion down. Also, when you go to install the cable, pay the cable out and use the winch to pull the truck with the brakes applied so that you get the tightest wrap possible.

My old GMC General had 350 feet of 5/8" cable on both winches. After a couple of years they both got re-spooled with new cable. I think it cost me around $500 to do both winches.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was at a local Fastenal store recently. They did have the correct cable availible.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks