• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacement winch cable

tm america

how about getting used elevator cable they have to change it after x amount of hours and its ussually like 500ft or more i have heard of some places letting it go for scrape price.i thought it is the best grade cable you can get same as lifting cable used on cranes .has anyone used it and how did it work out for you.i found a place that has stock nos deuce cables cheaper than you will get that one from colemans but im not gonna say where till i get mine:roll:

cjcottrill

I guess I'll continue my research, I do have a Fastenall store I frequent locally. I have found 1/2 EIPS 6x25 which has a better bending radius and higher tensile strength, about 1.80/ft. I'll try to contact Coleman's to get specs on the 9/16". If it would happen to be 6x25 or 6x37 the larger diameter would have a tighter bend radius anyway. I thought it listed an NSN which would make me think it is USA probably 6x19. It appears no one has tried it yet so I'll do a little more digging. I have located a lot of inferior wire rope listed as 1/2" 6x19 with less than half the tensile strength as the military original. I'm not looking for an inferior product, just keeping the options open because there may be more than one way to "skin a cat." Thanks again for all the input.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would think, when yours and others lives can depend on the quality of your cable, compromising to save a few bucks, is not a good choice.

There are good reasons why cranes and elevator cables are changed regularly. Winch cables need to be replaced too. It's called maintenance.

New cable , price it, before you look for cheap alternatives. Do the math and figure out if killing someone or yourself may be worth saving about 100-300 bucks.

Your not dealing with toys here. These are extremely powerful and dangerous trucks. You need to make wise decisions. If you cannot afford to maintain them properly, then you should not use them.

cjcottrill

Safety is one of the reasons I asked in the first place. I took the OSHA crane inspection course years ago and am certainly cognizant of the dangers lurking about. I'm not looking for cheap, just options.

tm america

no just wondered about it a cable thats been used out of the weather and at 1/10 its capacity for a year or two and has twice the rating of the cable used on the deuce:?:plus they are oiled and maintained better than anyother cable i know of .i agree about using new cable but if you can get cable that is better cable just slightly used but well taken care of which is better?i wouldnt buy new cable unless it was better than the stock cable used .the shear pin on a deuce will give out way before a elevator cable they are rated more than twice what the deuce winch is.the reason they change them is the same reason they put busses out of service so early wether there is anything wrong with them or not

Blood_of_Tyrants

remember BREAKING weight is 1/4 to 1/5 of the SAFE WORKING LOAD also known as WL(working load) or WLL(working load limit), LL(load limit),
You got that backwards. Breaking weight is just that, the maximum weight pull that it will support without breaking.

Working load is generally far less than the breaking weight, generally about a third of the breaking limit.

tm america

we need a table of capacity for the different type of cables .does anyone know how much a stock cable with the chain and end weighs? i'm just waiting for them to get back to me on shipping cost so i can order mine:roll:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You got that backwards. Breaking weight is just that, the maximum weight pull that it will support without breaking.

Working load is generally far less than the breaking weight, generally about a third of the breaking limit.
I think he meant to say 4:1 or 5:1 which would be right :wink:. Which would mean a rope that had a 10,000lb WLL would have around a 40,000lb breaking limit. WLL for wire rope is generally figured for overhead lifting. I have yet to see 1/2" wire rope of any kind that had an overhead lifting rating of 10,000lb.

Last edited:

tm america

i wouldnt want to run a bigger diameter cable in there anyway since you wouldnt be able to put as much on there i find i need most of it more often than not

cjcottrill

Found this in an old post:

Thank you Spicergear it's nice to know someone knows I'm not stupid besides me!:grin: TM for M35a2 says 9/16 cable dose fit. While I was in the Army. I was tout by my chief mechanic to use 210 ft. of cable, anchor the cable on a hill, and hook it into the winch. Then release brakes to take up slack in cable. The hill only need to be steep enough to allow the truck to role.
Last edited by armytruckdriverddsso; 09-16-2009 at 02:36.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
NEVER USE USED CABLE except in an emergency, you dont know what your getting with used, EVERY TIME it goes over a sheve it wares, a new cable is just a bit oversize, as it wares the size goes down, anything BELOW the stated size is WORN out. the constant bending will ware the cable out with or with out a load, elevator cable is different then wench cable, it is made with finner wire and more strands so it is more flexible, it does not have the same W l for the size as normal cable

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
if you get somebodys used cable, you dont know the cable, when you uas your cable, you know if or when and how it was used, if it was abused ONE time going around sharp objects, cut, stretched, kinked, overloaded, ect. in some cases being abused bad enough (like broke wires) ONE time calls for it to be replaced because you cant now trust it

SO DO YOU WENT TO TRUST YOUR LIFE OR SOMEBODYS EALSE ON A CABLE YOU DONT KNOW

tm america

i hear that i am putting a new one on mine i'm just waiting on them to get back to me on the shipping.you always have to leave a safety factor when winching .you should never be using it to its rating

any of you guys worked in the oilfields? if so you must have seen some of the winch trucks out there. 1 inch mainlines 45k winches front end of the trucks 6 feet of the ground i like playing with my deuce but its not in that class but it winches lots of trees in for me. 3 or 4 full length birch trees 16 to 20 inches at the butt at once . 3 and a half cords to the load 18000 lbs. chains on the front wheels and front drivers low range and just crawls along till im out then 35 or 40 miles an hr on the road let the air out of your tires put on your chains tight then air up no slaping or banging they stay nice and tight

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks