• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing 6TL / 6TMF batteries w/ Civis

jwesley74

Yes, but not long for cranking time. Runs them dead fast. Put 4 in and it will be sufficient. Not like military spec batteries. But $400 for 4 civis versus $1000 for 4 6TMF batteries...

icecreamman

Deep cycle batteries are made for low amp draw--long term use applications. On my boat, It was designed for a deep cycle battery to run the electronics and a starting battery to start the boat motor. It has to do with the plates inside the batteries. If I can remember, deep cycle batteries have more plates that are thinner and can run low amp draw loads for a longer time. Heavy amp loads melt the plates together killing the batteries.

army70deuce

My Military batteries finally died and I priced replacing them, $450 each. So instead I did a short term fix and spent $45 a piece for interstate refurbs. So far they haven't had any problems. I also moved my battery box and built it to stack the batteries vertically on independent shelves. I made the shelves over sized so they could hold almost any type of battery in case one died and an exact replacement wasn't available.

rustystud

My Military batteries finally died and I priced replacing them, $450 each. So instead I did a short term fix and spent $45 a piece for interstate refurbs. So far they haven't had any problems. I also moved my battery box and built it to stack the batteries vertically on independent shelves. I made the shelves over sized so they could hold almost any type of battery in case one died and an exact replacement wasn't available.
Now thats thinking out of the "box" ! :)

Durrtrigs

Hi all, relatively new to the site. I have a 1995 Stewart & Stephenson LMTV M1079 that I am coverting to an expedition camper. Recently had issues with the (4) 6TL batteries losing their charge. Interested and replacing them with (2) civilian type batteries to avoid issues and expense of replacing 6TL's in the future. The new batteries just need to power the motor etc., no need for the camper as is will completely independent via plug in and solar. Any advice on battery type and adapter plates to fit new batteries in existing battery box? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

rcflyer70

I've used Walmart batteries in my trucks for years - they worked perfectly and saved lots of money. After rebuilding my M52A2, I decided to stay with 6TLs to keep from modifying the battery box/wires. Interstate Batteries sells the 6TL, which I got locally for about $180.00 plus core. Something to consider.

Attachments

rmgill

Where were you buying them from? Batteries plus sells em for $160 a piece.

I got something like 10 years of use out of my last set of 6TLs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks