• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Repower project for deuce get underway

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know.... It is one of those early '80s GM converted 350cc gasser engines. ;-)

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
yes, we have a winner! the 9.0 was in fact a converted gas engine and had a few problems, all of which were corrected before IH quit making them. they never came with a turbo so were very low on power. i added piston cooling jets and expect to run 8 psi boost. this looks to be a long term project but i hope to have it done for next years rally at aberdeen

Jeepsinker

Ok cool, so I have to ask now. What is your reasoning for this particular choice on powerplant? Just something yo wanted to try out? Had it sitting around? Does it have a high torque curve compared to some other comparable but more expensive engines? Just curious as to why you chose this somewhat obscure engine.

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Ok cool, so I have to ask now. What is your reasoning for this particular choice on powerplant? Just something yo wanted to try out? Had it sitting around? Does it have a high torque curve compared to some other comparable but more expensive engines? Just curious as to why you chose this somewhat obscure engine.
ok, the 3208 is just too much engine plus the fuel knock and ringing in the block made hearing protection a must. i reasoned i needed a little smaller engine but thought the 7.3 might be too little. the 8.2 detroit was considered but i like strange over common place so here i am. the 9.0 looks to be a very sturdy engine despite all the bad press people gave it about head gaskets etc. someone had recently put gaskets on this one, but it took .004 off the heads and .004 off the block to get it flat again. for a diesel, that is huge. if people just put gaskets on them, no wonder they failed again in a relatively short order. torque and hp are low for the size of the engine and it is oversquare design, but i think some low boost pressure should use up the wasted fuel and raise hp 40 to 50.

Jeepsinker

Gotcha. I knew you had some sensible reasons, just wanted to hear from you what they were as I know absolutely nothing about this engine save from what I've learned in this thread so far. What drove you away from the 8.3 cummins? Had to have a V8? Hehehe

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess I'm just the opposite of you, I despise V8 diesels. I just like the long stroke most in-lines offer and they seem simpler to work on. Not that I wouldn't own one, I just avoid them when possible.

I'm glad you didn't go with the 8.3 GM. I've had experience with a couple of them and they were always problems. I also believe a turned up multifuel would out pull one.

A 3208 kind of gets a bad rap IMO. People call them throw away engines because they don't have sleeves but they seem to run for a long, long time before they are "thrown away". I think they are around 180hp without turbo, I would think that would be about right for a deuce. You're right about the loud fuel knock though.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
I guess I'm just the opposite of you, I despise V8 diesels. I just like the long stroke most in-lines offer and they seem simpler to work on. Not that I wouldn't own one, I just avoid them when possible.

I'm glad you didn't go with the 8.3 GM. I've had experience with a couple of them and they were always problems. I also believe a turned up multifuel would out pull one.

A 3208 kind of gets a bad rap IMO. People call them throw away engines because they don't have sleeves but they seem to run for a long, long time before they are "thrown away". I think they are around 180hp without turbo, I would think that would be about right for a deuce. You're right about the loud fuel knock though.
when i got my 3208 it was a rebuilt engine that was completely worn out with 8 broken pistons. bored it .030 over and put a cam in it and it was good as new, 200 hp, it was just way too much power for a deuce. it was common for me to start out in 3rd gear since it had 650 ft lbs torque. top speed was 74 mph, was happy at 68.

Jeepsinker

Wait, wait, wait.... Hold on here... You spent four years looking for an engine, you are the transmission guru here,... And you just now found that you need an adapter ring? Come on Tom! You're slacking!

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
ha! yeah i know, but i have projects to last me another 30 years!! i also still need turbos and some other easier stuff. this will no doubt be a longer task than most of my projects.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks